New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Smithsonian and lion hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 793 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to the magazine and found that to be a generally well-researched and balanced article. Virtually everyone who posts here on AR decries "canned" hunts for large predators, particularly African lions. But the proliferation of canned hunting has created a large population of semi-captive lions for which there is no good disposition.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Good article that presents a fair picture of the situation. Thanks for posting it.

I would rather hunt squirrels than captive-bred lions, but what do those who would ban the practice propose to do with the "leftover" lions?

It's a dilemma.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Let them loose in San Francisco ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Good article that presents a fair picture of the situation. Thanks for posting it.

I would rather hunt squirrels than captive-bred lions, but what do those who would ban the practice propose to do with the "leftover" lions?

It's a dilemma.

If I could waive a magic wad. IUCN would certify these places and the lion killed allowing their parts to be traded in Middle East and Asia. That is what I would do. That will never happen.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a dilemma.

Australia has a long and all too often unfortunate experience with importing species to "fix" a particular problem, from rabbits, to water buffalo, cane toads, foxes, pigs, and even camels.
What's one more? fishing

According to the authoritative internet source wikipedia they have 2.6M feral goats, 23.5m feral pigs, 5m feral donkeys, 300k camels controlled only by extremely expensive helicopter hunting and down from 1M, and are down to 150k water buffalo from a high of many times that.

While this is admittedly a smart ass post and I wouldn't dare to speak for people of another nation, given the massive loss of habitat occurring in Africa and the population boom projected to continue for the next several decades, the days of wild lions in Africa may sadly be numbered. If I was Australian I'd welcome them as it may be the only place capable of sustaining them in the wild in 50-100 years.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote