THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Bringing Home a Finished Zebra Rug in Suitcase?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing Home a Finished Zebra Rug in Suitcase?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Everyone, I will be traveling to Bulawayo in a few months and I have a finished Zebra Rug at a taxidermist there with export papers completed. I would like to pick it up and bring it home to the USA with me in an extra suitcase.

The taxidermist said that I am allowed to do this but I just want to be sure here...hopefully some of you have experience with this or have done so in the past.

I can't see why this should be a problem, since you can buy a Zebra Rug at a souvenir shop at the Airport in Jo'Berg and bring it home.

What do you all think??

Posts: 973 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 November 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless it's a CITES animal, such as a Hartmann's Mountain Zebra, I would think it would be OK.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Suggest, Alfredo, that you give a call to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service office nearest you and just ask.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would want something in writing from USFWS. Perhaps email?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I did this 3 years ago on return from Cape Town. Had a receipt but it never was needed. Walked right through Customs with an oral declaration.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much fellas...I'm going to go for it.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
You can purchase zebra hides plus other hide products in the airports in Africa and bring them home in carry on. all you need to do is declare and have your receipt.

They have never asked for any information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alfredo C:
Hello Everyone, I will be traveling to Bulawayo in a few months and I have a finished Zebra Rug at a taxidermist there with export papers completed. I would like to pick it up and bring it home to the USA with me in an extra suitcase.

The taxidermist said that I am allowed to do this but I just want to be sure here...hopefully some of you have experience with this or have done so in the past.

I can't see why this should be a problem, since you can buy a Zebra Rug at a souvenir shop at the Airport in Jo'Berg and bring it home.

What do you all think??

I brought 6 tanned zebra hides with me when I traveled to the States last month. I flew in via Atlanta. Placed a copy of my export permit on top of the hides in my suitcases and my suitcases were inspected by TSA (I got my luggage back with broken locks and a note from TSA inside that they’d done it) but the zebra hides were safe and sound inside - no issues.

BTW, if anyone is interested in buying brand new high quality hides from me let me know. I still have 3 in Calgary, ready to be shipped.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this applies but several years ago we bought a kudu horn with the big five carved into it from a street vendor in Vic Falls. When we got ready to board our flight home the check in people gave us a rough time because we didn't have a receipt for it. Cost us more in "donations" than we had paid for the kudu horn.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
I just brought a burchells zebra from Johannesburg to Indianapolis vi Atlanta in my checked bag. I taped a copy of a tanning certificate from my taxidermist. No issues at all. The bag was opened but the envelope with the certificate in wasn’t opened

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 405 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember, there are a lot of things you can buy in Africa at various shops with "proper certificates"....that are ILLEGAL to import into us...and now 22 States in US, my home state one of them unless a hunted trophy..but you can't buy, sell, trade, barter, etc. once here in State!! Zebra is NOT one of them.
Not only will USF&W have interest, they may also send you to US Dept of Agriculture, especially Atlanta, where there has been 100% inspection of hunting trophies....shipped, not as luggage... if the Agent is obnoxious??
Surprisingly, the Agents of both agencies, "had no knowledge of what is going on at Atlanta who were exhibitors at SCI!!
I also have a nice Botwsana shadow stripped Burchell's Zebra tanned and felt backed I would sell.
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari Specialty Importers
posted Hide Post
-Must have Original Export Documents and Hunting Permits

-If a Hartmann Zebra, must have a valid CITES Export Permit

-Must enter US at a Port of Entry that has a USFW Office

-Contact USFW Office to declare a Post Entry Clearing and coordinate appointment USFW and Customs for clearing at the airport

-Mark Declaration through Customs on the incoming flight

-Once cleared, should receive a copy of the 3177 Customs Form, proving that the rug was brought in legally and cleared

*No Duties should be paid as this is a Personal Hunted Trophy

The difference between this and buy a rug in OR Tambo is that you would have to pay duties on the bought rug.

Wyatt Fetner

758 Sheldon Road

Wallkill, NY 12589

www.safarispecialtyimporters.com

info@safarispecialtyimporters.com

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one should just bring it in suitcase and IF stopped by customs, just say that you bought it from someone in Zim and don't mention that it is a hunted trophy...hypothetically

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Customs will pick up that you have a large zebra rug in your luggage. Trying to pass a hunting trophy as a bought item will result in a Felony charge and the rug being seized. Rugs purchased from stores will have proper paperwork and a bill of sale that will be reviewed upon entry.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a corporate exec who decided to take his non-trophy hippo tusks from the skinning/salt shed and into his luggage rather than pay the outfitter $150 for proper paperwork in Mozambique. His bags were x-rated at Lusaka, Zambia, his first flight out... he was arrested and charged with illegal smuggling of wildlife parts. He almost eneed up in an African jail, however, by the grace of his surprised and angered outfitter, having been warned, he was detained for 4 days in the company of a local, paid fines and finally released. Now he "has a record"and angry and embarassed outfitter and colleagues...don't know if his high profile US employer ever found out??
Thankfully I had to cancel out on that hunt with kidney stones....or I would have been there too!!
He never thanked the outfitter for getting him out of trouble!!
It was all about $$bucks, and an attitude he could get away with it. ...and he could bribe his way out of it!! Didn't work!!
I have never spoken to him again over that stunt!! It embarassed me as well in front of the outfitter!!
DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT. RISK IS TOO HIGH IN AFRICA AND BACK IN US... YOU DON'T WANT AN ARREST RECORD !!
CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eddy well said. Things like this fuel the ant hunting industry and a blick eye for hunters who are ethical.
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I know of a corporate exec who decided to take his non-trophy hippo tusks from the skinning/salt shed and into his luggage rather than pay the outfitter $150 for proper paperwork in Mozambique. His bags were x-rated at Lusaka, Zambia, his first flight out... he was arrested and charged with illegal smuggling of wildlife parts. He almost eneed up in an African jail, however, by the grace of his surprised and angered outfitter, having been warned, he was detained for 4 days in the company of a local, paid fines and finally released. Now he "has a record"and angry and embarassed outfitter and colleagues...don't know if his high profile US employer ever found out??
Thankfully I had to cancel out on that hunt with kidney stones....or I would have been there too!!
He never thanked the outfitter for getting him out of trouble!!
It was all about $$bucks, and an attitude he could get away with it. ...and he could bribe his way out of it!! Didn't work!!
I have never spoken to him again over that stunt!! It embarassed me as well in front of the outfitter!!
DO IT RIGHT OR DON'T DO IT. RISK IS TOO HIGH IN AFRICA AND BACK IN US... YOU DON'T WANT AN ARREST RECORD !!
CHEERS,