New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anti-Tsetsi Jacket??
 Login/Join

posted
Good day
I am hunting in Tanzania end October and need something for my head and neck that'll keep the Tsetsi flies at bay. I've had a look at Cabella's but they seem to only carry very OTT camo jackets which seem a bit overkill. Any ideas?
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Shannons Bug Tamer, should work like a charm and it won't be a problem to wear in the heat.

Posts: 332 | Location: Rio Rancho, NM | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I know of that will work in Tsetsi fly country is a body bag! Smiler

You can cover yourself in netting, its hot btw and you can't see well enough to hunt, as it definatly impairs your vision for spotting game.

The best solution is wear long pants (levi material), long sleeve tan shirts; stay away from olive and dark colors because the Tsetsi love dark colors, light gloves like cotton roping gloves, golf gloves..Use lots of deet or whatever works for you (skintastic works best for me) and use it every couple of hours. This will keep bites to a minimum, but you will always get a few..You must also find a bug repelent that works for YOU, not what works for someone else, I think our body chemistry is different and different repelents work better for some than others, so you need to determine what works for you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at rynoskins. They come in a loden green color.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I used skeeter beater repellant in Tanzania and it kept the buggers at bay... only got a few bites in the wrist hand area...Also clothes sprayed with the permithin camping insect killer...kills critters that come on your clothes...
Have a agreat safari...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the advice guys. Can't wait to go, it's going to be fantastic.

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
I concur on the use of Permithrin on clothing. I sprayed all my outer clothes and never got a Tsetse bite anywhere but bare skin.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Cabela's Cotton Canvas full sleeve shirts are also good. In my experience the Tsetse can't bite through them and they are also not bad in hot weather.

Ahmed Sultan