New
Find
Notify
Tools

WOODLEIGH BULLET COMPANY GONE!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Sadly have just heard the Woodleigh bullet Co burnt down Geoff will not be rebuilding

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Damn that is really sad news !

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that just flat-out SUCKS!

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear. I only conversed with Geoff a few times but what a great guy he is. Maybe someone will pay him to license his bullet designs.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats truly unfortunate. I hope everyone is physically alright.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
King is dead, long live the king
Someone else will fill the void

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s a shame!

I use a number of woodleighs for certain rifles.

Hope someone takes over the brand.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I hope everyone is all right.

It will be a major loss to shooters of the old British calibers if Woodleigh does not return.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad I saw this. I’m shooting an old Mauser Type B (manufactured in 1904) chambered in 8x57J and Woodleigh is one of the only manufacturers of .318 bullets that I know of. Just ordered some more.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I have learned that Shirley, Geoff's wife is hospitalized with smoke inhalation. I have not contacted Geoff directly yet, I have contacted his close friend and colleague Graeme Wright, by email, to send condolences and learn if Geoff is OK.
Let's hope there may be a longer term silver lining in this catastrophe??
My thoughts and prayers are with Geoff and Shirley and the whole Woodleigh team.

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Terrible loss, I've shot a few elephants, buff, lion, plains game with

Woodleigh bullets & they've always performed well. Even shot a nice

whitetail today with a 400/350 NE Rigby with a Woodleigh bullet.

Sad to hear of this.

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm am crushed I have used and developed hundreds of loads for clientele and shot thousands of these.

What a loss to the industry but more importantly the loss for Geoff and his family. It is a real tragedy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of this loss. If you are looking for odd diameters, Hawk Custom bullets makes .318 as well as other unusual calibers. I used their .358 bullets with good success years ago out of a 358JDJ T/C Contender.

Posts: 1523 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I've used his bullets on a half dozen of my most memorable animals.

I hope and pray for his wife's speedy recovery.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just learned from Graeme Wright that Geoff's wife Shirley was only hospitalized overnight for observation and released the following day.She is doing well.
Shirley is a key player in the office and an important part of their successful business.

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, someone with the capital needs to save this brand.

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First North Fork, and now Woodleigh.
Been a bad year for our bullet making friends.☹️

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

North fork is not out of business. They were bought by some Swedes and are making bullets. Reloading international is the US distributor and have some in stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an idea, but what if he licensed Woodleigh Bullets to Hornady and we could get Hornady ammunition with Woodleigh bullets. Kind of like buying Federal Premium ammo with Swift A Frames. They could call it Hornady Premium, while still selling their new Hornady bullets. Maybe throw some North Fork's in there as well.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rolank:

The current negativity being aired by the anti-hunting crowd not to mention the varying degrees of bans by authorities on the importing of trophies, this famous brand will very likely be abandoned by the owners.

I honestly do not see any other competing manufacturer buying their blueprints either simply because the construction/brand is still that of Woodleigh, no matter how it gets packaged.

If anything, this tragic event will probably herald a design upgrade and marketing of A-Frames and TSX bullets for the large calibers.

Posts: 2036 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I am surprised that Alliant Techsystems, the parent company of Federal Ammunition, hasn't expressed some interest in picking up Woodleigh. But, then I am also surprised that someone hasn't jumped on board to purchase and save Goex black powder either. Confused Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
If Woodleigh’s desire is to get up and running again, the easiest way across the line is crowdfunding. If BLM protesters can get a fund for their bail money, I would thing there are 1000 hunting enthusiasts who might be willing to give $500 to rebuild a business like Woodleigh. After all, if your $50,000 vintage double is regulated with Woodleighs, seem a small investment to keep the bullets coming.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Originally posted by rolank:

The current negativity being aired by the anti-hunting crowd not to mention the varying degrees of bans by authorities on the importing of trophies, this famous brand will very likely be abandoned by the owners.

I honestly do not see any other competing manufacturer buying their blueprints either simply because the construction/brand is still that of Woodleigh, no matter how it gets packaged.

If anything, this tragic event will probably herald a design upgrade and marketing of A-Frames and TSX bullets for the large calibers.

I emailed with Barnes this week and am told they will not be producing .411 tsx bullets til 2023.

Posts: 9438 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I bought WAY more .411 400gr softs and 570Gr .510's than I needed back a couple years ago. Good thing!!!

Too bad, I really like their bullets. Very traditional in keeping with the spirit of DR hunting in Africa.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

North fork is not out of business. They were bought by some Swedes and are making bullets. Reloading international is the US distributor and have some in stock.

Oh, WOW! Thanks for the info BaxterB!

I’ll be looking them up immediately. I love their bullets, and especially the 430 gr. 404 Jeffery softs for my Dakota.

Thanks again!

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought WAY more .411 400gr softs and 570Gr .510's than I needed back a couple years ago

Steve: You know that you cannot have enough! rotflmo Yes, your purchase was wise! tu2 Hope all is well with you and your family. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
I bought WAY more .411 400gr softs and 570Gr .510's than I needed back a couple years ago

Steve: You know that you cannot have enough! rotflmo Yes, your purchase was wise! tu2 Hope all is well with you and your family. Big Grin

Thanks! We're all good.

I just don't shoot the Doubles much anymore. I can't get excited about the travel goat rope. I do hope somebody picks up the slack and starts back manufacturing. I will eventually need more.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've only used Woodleigh for my .375H&H. Tragic news.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I used Woodleigh for .510, .458 and .375 calibers. I will certainly miss them.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The statement on their website.

Factory Fire

We regret to inform our loyal customers that we had a nasty factory fire on Saturday 27th November. Thankfully no one was injured.

Most of the working production machinery was damaged and all the packed stock was burnt. We do have some unwashed & unpolished stock stored in bulk drums, but we have no way of dealing with it at the moment. It will be available at a later date.

Regarding our Woodleigh Load Manuals, they are on a very slow boat and will not arrive until February.

It will take some time to assess the machinery damage and make a plan for the future.

Thank you for all your texts & emails with your messages of support.

We have no landline, but you can communicate via email at zedfield@iinet.net.au
Regards,
Geoff & Shirley McDonald.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I am truly hoping there is a Silver Lining and a bright light at the end of the tunnel for Geoff and Shirley??!!

Maybe a new beginning, better positioned to their major markets?? The buildings and machinery can be replaced, and hopefully was well insured?? The designs and proprietary processes, and customer lists is where the real value lies!!

We need to give them the support and confidence, and contacts that will make this happen!!

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember, BARNES, TROPHY BONDED and SWIFT A-FRAME have all thrived under new ownership after maturing from their origins!!

WOODLEIGH can too!!

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
From here, I have enough loaded ammo and bullets to last a couple of years and by then the Woodleigh bullets should be back on the market.

Also, a big + 1 to the sentiments expressed by 470EDDY

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to read but atleast no one got really hurt. But bad enough as it is.

I was a user of their .333cal bullets. A friend of mine here in DK use their 440grain .500 express bullets. There is hopefully still a demand for such bulletmaker in future. The world will hopefully still shoot the oddball calibers.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+2 Agree with 470EDDY as well. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, to add insult to injury, I got the last .308 and .338 Woodleigh solids from Midway, Dec. 1, And to date, USPS has lost themFrowner

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
What a tragedy.

They did a great service to the Double Rifle resurgence from the 70s.

Someone else should take over the niche in the market.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11221 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Were unable to insure their business I’m told by a source close to the owners.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Were unable to insure their business I’m told by a source close to the owners.

That's even more tragic! Frowner