New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bino Question for Elephant Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those experienced in the process.....

I have a tuskless/buffalo hunt in Makuti scheduled for late June. For my other African hunts (PG and buff), I have always used my 8x30 Steiner binoculars with the assistance of a bino system (keeps them tight to the chest). Is this the right set-up for my hunt? Any issues with this set-up?

I have a smaller set of binos, but they give me a headache with limited use. Thanks in advance for the info....

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I use Leica Ultravid 8x20's when I hunt elephants. I put the little strap they come with over my head and one shoulder with them riding quite comfortabley under my left arm. They don't seem to "bang" against me at all.

Why?

Chasing elephants, to me anyway, is really hard work and I like the light weight of the little binoculars. I find no real reason to tote my heavier 8x30 Swarovski's because, after all, the shooting is going to be at 20 yards or less (and not at the sometimes 60 to 80 yards that occur buff hunting). I also use iron sights elephant hunting and a scope for buffalo for somewhat the same reasons... It just seems more important to get good resolution in picking out the "right" buffalo in the dark jesse at half a football field, than looking up at an elephants head at spitting distance.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
You can do a lot of glassing in Makuti. An 8x30 would be fine. I used a 7x42 and was pretty happy.

I hunted Makuti in October and it was hot as heck. The Elephants seemed to take their mid afternoon rest on the ridges under a tree. I would guess that the breeze was better but that is just a guess.

My point is that these conditions allow you to glass an elephant from miles away. When we found mine he was sleeping in a small grove of trees and the sun on his ivory was the only thing that gave him away.

I would not use a pocket bino in Makuti.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I never bother with binos while hunting.
Mine stay in the truck.
I like to have as little with me as possible, which means rifle, which I carry all the time, never let a trackers carry it, ammo and a small digital camera in my pockets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68636 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I use Leica Ultravid 8x20's when I hunt elephants. I strap them across the chest and over one shoulder.

Chasing elephants, to me anyway, is really hard work and I like the light weight of the little binoculars and find no real reason to tote my heavier 8x30 Swarovski's. After all, the shooting is going to be at 20 yards or less (and not at the sometimes 60 to 80 yards that occur buff hunting).

Judge
We posted at the same time. One thing that I would point out is that Makuti is rocky, hilly country. It is more of a glassing(spot and stalk) hunt than a tracking hunt.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
If long range glassing is a possibility, I defer to JBrown.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunt I wear my binos 100% of the time.
I have shot elehants and cape buff on all of my safaris as well as plains game.

On my first Safari I used 8x30 Swarovski.

On my second I used 8x40 Leica with the rangefinder.

On my last trip I used 8x20 Leica.

When I go back it will be mainly/only for elephants, I would carry the 8x20 Leicas.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The trouble with binoculars is that they're a hindrance 100% of the time and indispensable 1% of the time.

So I always have them on me, but 99% of the time I wish I didn't.

I have used the simple strap, as well as the harness method, for carrying them. IMHO, the harness is a pain to use. No matter how I adjust the damned thing, it seems generally to get in the way - sometimes at the worst time - when I'm trying to shoulder my rifle.

Can't have that.

So, I have gone back to using a short strap and the under-the-weak-arm carry method - and on the strap is a Swaro 10x32EL.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13615 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I think we have covered this ground before, but I hunted early in Makuti (well early June anyway) when it was pretty thick (not so thick as the Valley floor, or so I was told) and we did a fair amount of tracking and not so much glassing. I like pocket binoculars (Leica 8x20) as I can stuff them in my pocket and they are out of the way.

If I were glassing all day I would want bigger glass, although I would not want to carry it for hours in the brush.

Edit: I guess I am pretty much repeating what I said in this thread.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would probably go with a good 8x30 as a good compromise. In the Zambezi valley a smaller pair would be better, but the more open country calls for a bit more magnification. Have a great hunt and enjoy yourself !
Dave

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I hunted Makuti in September 2007. You will do a lot of glassing. I took a set of Minox 8x binos and they worked fine. I would not use the 20mm objective binos since I think those are going to get tiresome on the eyes after a while. Makuti is much more a spot and stalk hunt than a traditional elephant tracking hunt. Hence the need for different binos.

Mike

Posts: 21669 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Saeed, no binos. Most times I wouldn't know what to look for anyway. This is what you pay your PH for, to tell you, " OK, shoot that one." Wink

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll bite...

Elephants are kind of big. Do you really need bino's?

The ones we saw were big, gray, moved around alot.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat - your comment mirrors mine exactly. I have never "hunted" ele, but have been pretty darn close on occassion while hunting other critters, that binocs are most likely not that important. If all you can see is a big, gray, blob through them it's probably time to be shooting I would imagine. The PH has binocs and he is the experienced one glassing for size, sex and such, so I'll let him handle that chore. I do carry 8 X 20's most of the time and find them fine for the occasional time I want to check something out or just have a better scenery view.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Mine stay in the truck.
I like to have as little with me as possible, which means rifle, which I carry all the time, never let a trackers carry it, ammo and a small digital camera in my pockets.

I too would never consider letting someone carry my gun in Africa, but I would let them tote the bino's jumping

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
OK, I'll bite...

If you are able to identify a large bull or a tuskless cow at a distance you can save your self a lot of time that you might otherwise spend getting in close to one that is not what you are looking for.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
OK, I'll bite...

They don't move much during their afternoon nap and they usually nap in a grove of trees so they can enjoy the shade. Their gray hide usually takes on the color of the local soil. Regardless, in the shade, they really can blend in.

It has been pointed out that an early hunt will be more of the traditional tracking hunt in Makuti. A later hunt will require more glassing.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Mine stay in the truck.

I too would never consider letting someone carry my gun in Africa, but I would let them tote the bino's jumping

Following up on this post, I don't often carry bonos when elephant hunting, and when I do its Lieca 8x20's, which are remarkably good glasses and won't wear your eyes out. But they are light - good for walking, not so good for extended viewing because they are hard to hold steady.

Best compromise for Makuti, imo, will probably be carrying the 8x20's and letting a tracker carry and use the 8x30's or so (my other binos are 8x30 Liecas). They will see eles that you would miss when taking a break or glassing, plus they enjoy the oportunity. When they find one to look at, they will be happy to trade with you for your viewing enjoyment.

I hunted Makuti in Novemebr, and we did considerable glassing. I brought a Ziess 20-60x85mm spotting scope and tripod with detachable mono pod, one of the trackers carried one combination or the other when we were heading to high ground to do some glassing. That Ziess more than earned its keep.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
dogcat - your comment mirrors mine exactly. I have never "hunted" ele, but have been pretty darn close on occassion while hunting other critters, that binocs are most likely not that important. If all you can see is a big, gray, blob through them it's probably time to be shooting I would imagine. The PH has binocs and he is the experienced one glassing for size, sex and such, so I'll let him handle that chore. I do carry 8 X 20's most of the time and find them fine for the occasional time I want to check something out or just have a better scenery view.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

If you like to shoot your elephants as close as I do, it is very handy to have some binos as you can turn them around as use them as "de magnifiers". Eeker Big Grin jumping

Sorry clould not resist.

I always wear my binos with a short strap high on my chest.

When I need to be getting ready to shoot, I am not using my binos, I let the PH decide which animal to shoot, I concentrate on the gun.

But I do like to have binos to look at, and for animals at a distance, and to pick them out in brush.

I can look through the 8x20 Leicas all day and not get eye fatigue.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Your 8x30s will be ideal.
Would not go bush with out a pair.
Would miss out on some great sights.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
So there you go ... advice that covers it all. Like most everyone, if you can afford it, I'd take the little 8x20's to carry in a pocket, and the Swarovski 8x30's and just see what you prefer. Personally never carried them after I learned I didn't need them. Let the tracker have at them.

It is amazing what can be discerned at great distances with a pair of Swarovski 8x30's.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You dont really need binos while hunting ele.everytime ive gone for ele their hasnt been time for me to do anything else but shoot.Trust your ph he knows better than you what a good ele looks like .If you must something lite

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all for the advice and guidance. I am having the hunt video'd as well, so I will hopefully have some great footage to share.

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

It is amazing what can be discerned at great distances with a pair of Swarovski 8x30's.

So true.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I wear a pair of 10x20 Leicas. It is not an easy piece of glass to learn to use, but it also weighs nothing. I usually find mysef eating lunch with my binos on and don't even realize it.

On a string around my neck, the string is long enough that I can put the binos in my front pocket.

I do realize it is not for everyone. That is just what I do, it is what I have found that works for me. This is th ecase with most equipment, you learn over the years doesn't work for you, and what does, and why.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I can look through the 8x20 Leicas all day and not get eye fatigue.

Even though I use the 10x20, I would go for the 8x20 in a heartbeat.

Leica makes some good glass.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted ele in Makuti and elsewhere. For tuskless you want to confirm that the ele you think might be tuskless really is. Also that there isn't a dependent calf around. In thick stuff or under trees this can be difficult even when fairly close. Binos help. As said above for spot and stalk they are vital.

I can remember sweating profusly as my PH, Ryan Millward, glassed a small herd of ele. What was making me sweat was that one of the cows was about 10 feet from us behind a small tree she was ripping the branches from. Every time she gave that big exhale through her trunk that ele do I could almost feel it. I could hear her ears flap and the smell of ele dung and urine was almost overpowering. All this and the PH with his binos pressed to his face. Glassing ele can be really exciting...

Brett

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I won't hunt without binos. For most North American and African hunting, I use my 8x30 Swarovskis and find them just right. I wear them over my neck, but under my left arm pit.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Take whatever you are comfortable with along. Makuti is rocky and hilly, what you may find is that after a few walks, the binos remain in the truck bag which is fine (that is where mine are 95% of the time when I take them). This being said, of the areas I've hunted, Makuti lends itself best to using binos. There are good access roads, and you will likely find that you drive to a point, climb a hill, and glass, and this is a perfect opportunity to use them. Of note is that the trackers will most always spot the game first…without any binoculars!!! But on long walks, I wouldn't take them (or put them in the trackers backpack) especially if you intend on carrying your rifle (most do not in Makuti). Personally, I would not run out and buy $1000+ binos for this particular hunt.

But hey, it's your hunt and your money, do whatever you think and determine for yourself what works best for you!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take Licia 8X25 pocket and LOAN them to the tracker who can make better use of them. Smiler

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted ele, although I have been "around" them in the bush..

In general I would say if you want to take part in the hunt and I mean all aspects of the hunt ie all the other sight seeing that goes on while your hunting, take some good bino's.

If you're happy to follow the PH and shoot what he points at, don't bother.

As for the difference between 8x20mm and 8x30mm, I'd say most hunters should be more concerned about the excess lbs they cary around their waist than a few extra ounces their bino's weigh! A brutal truth for many of use I am afraid, and I very much include myself in that statement...

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
I've never hunted ele, although I have been "around" them in the bush..

In general I would say if you want to take part in the hunt and I mean all aspects of the hunt ie all the other sight seeing that goes on while your hunting, take some good bino's.

If you're happy to follow the PH and shoot what he points at, don't bother.

As for the difference between 8x20mm and 8x30mm, I'd say most hunters should be more concerned about the excess lbs they cary around their waist than a few extra ounces their bino's weigh! A brutal truth for many of use I am afraid, and I very much include myself in that statement...

Re the binos, this doesn't reflect my experience even a little bit.

On the lbs around the waist, yea they should come off, but no matter how fit you are, the weight you're carying is important. The weight of your binos is very important, since it varries widely and they are optional for elephant hunting to begin with.

Either way, your waist is what your waist is when you leave the truck to follow tracks. But you can still impact what weight you're carying in binos and other gear.

I've elephant hunted fit nd I've elephant hunted fat and unfit. I don't and don't want to carry any more kit when I'm fit than when I'm fat.

See a felow in the bush carrying the most minimal kit and you have likely run into an elephant hunter; see your typical hunter in the bush carying the typical kit and you have run into a fellow who hasn't hunted elephants.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I'm with JPK. You can look at posts from someone with a lot of experience like 500grains and see that even though he was in shape he advocated carrying a minimum amount of gear.

Of course, if you want to ask him about it you'll have to email him or go on another board.

As for me -- I worked hard to get in better shape before going to Makuti, far better shape than I am in now, and after 5-7 hours up and down hill on a track I never once wished I had carried more gear.

Binos are a matter of personal preference. I'd rather spend the weight on carrying a little more ammo, but someone else might go crazy having to use compact binos.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This conversation confirms what I've suspected for some time. I need a pair of Leica 8x20's for ele's and buff.

I typically carry my "old style" Zeiss (I think they are 10x42's but I forget, but they are huge). I like the under the left arm carry 90% of the time. But every now and then, like if you are crawling on hands and knees, the bra/harness is better. What I've taken to doing is fitting the bra/harness, but slipping all the multiple straps over my right shoulder and carrying the bino under my left arm. You use the binos as if fitted with a single strap, but, I can slip into the harness in a few seconds if needed.

Compacts seem easier if your only in the thick stuff. I hesitate to give a tracker binoculars, because when I have done that, they tend to stay there. (Not suggesting any thievery or anything dishonest, it just happens).

Posts: 10311 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I like the under the left arm carry with the 8X30's. Seems to me with a pair of 8x20's it might be possible to slip them into the cargo pocket on your shorts or trousers.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK

I could not agree more and I think carrying less in the field is important whether you are hunting elephants or anything else, fat or fit. There are way too many gadgets out there and you don't need them. The crew can carry anything that you do not absolutely need on your person. If I go back for elephant in '11 I'm carrying my 9x20 Leupolds and letting a tracker pack my 10x40's only if we are in an area where glassing is a real part of the hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I am probably an exception but there are many other things in Africa to see other than what I'm hunting. I like to SEE what I look at so I carry Swarovski 10x50's and have no problem with that. Short foam rubber wide strap around my neck with Binos resting on my rather ample chest. I have shot most everything Zimbabwe has to offer several times over and these Swarovski's have there every time. In fact they are with me constantly while in Africa. As I said there are many things other than game to be seen. Just my methods others use other methods.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote