Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 38" Mt. Nyala
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
DPhillips,

We haven't hunted in the heather is several years. Most of that habitant is gone. Indeed, where our old camp in Bora Lucu was (12,500 feet) is now mostly grain fields and grazing for livestock. It's like this all the way to the top...almost 14,000 feet. The Mt. Nyala in the picture was taken in the Munessa Forest. This area is actually a tree farm. There are guards there to protect the trees from being stolen and in doing so, by the way, protect the mt nyala there from poaching. We took the #1 SCI Menelik's bushbuck there as well. The elevation is only around 5,500 feet. The other 2 concessions are also forest but heavy old growth. There are steep canyons and high ridges. The areas (Odo Bulo & Damaro) are adjacent and range from 5,500 feet at the lowest point in Damaro to 11,000 (and just a bit of heather) at the highest point in Odo Bulo. Camp there is around 7,500 which is about the same elevation as Addis Ababa.

Rich ELliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a really nice Mt. Nyala. Thanks for the information on area, Rich.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Wow! He's gorgeous(the Nyala, of course ).

Thanks Rich!

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
That hurts, Rich, it just hurts.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm a little suspicious too. Where's the heather and where's the steep terrain? Are you sure this wasn't taken in Texas????

Just kidding Rich. I know you guys are the real deal, I was just doing a call back to the "Hunting African game in the US" thread.

Terrific Mt. nyala, thanks for sharing.

Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Impressive...very impressive.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice, has me thinking how nice one of thoes would look in my trophy room.

Posts: 77 | Location: Hopefully out in the hills somewhere | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! Rich, that's a little different setting than most Mt. Nyala are taken in, isn't it? Where's the heather?

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote