Find
Notify
Tools

man eaters !
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grandpa's Braised Beef Recipe

Total Time:
5 hr 5 min
Prep
20 min
Inactive
30 min
Cook
4 hr 15 min
Yield:
5 to 6 servings
Level:
Easy
Print Recipe
Full-Page View
Save to My Recipe Box
Review Recipe
Share It!
Tweet

Ingredients
Extra-virgin olive oil, for sauteing and drizzling
4 onions, very thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
3 pounds chuck, bottom round or top sirloin steak
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 to 5 starchy potatoes
1 (32-ounce) can Italian tomatoes, sliced or roughly crushed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
Parmigiano-Reggiano, for grating
A few fresh basil leaves, torn
1 loaf ciabatta, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat with a thin layer of extra-virgin olive oil. Add the onions, and garlic to the hot oil and sweat them until very soft and very light caramel in color, 20 to 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and reserve.

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add a thin layer of oil to the pan. Pat the meat dry and season very liberally with salt and pepper. Brown the meat to a deep brown all over, 12 to 15 minutes.

Peel the potatoes and very thinly slice them lengthwise into planks. Slice the tomatoes working over a bowl to catch their juices.

Arrange 1/2 the onions over top of the meat, season with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon thyme. Arrange 1/2 the potatoes over the onions and dress the potatoes with a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon, salt, pepper, rosemary, and a handful freshly grated cheese. Top the potatoes with 1/2 the tomatoes and their juices, and season with salt and pepper. Scatter a few leaves of torn basil. Repeat the layers. Do not add basil to the top layer of tomatoes.

Cover the pan and roast the meat in the oven until very tender, 4 hours. Cool and store for make-ahead meal.

To reheat: Reheat, covered, in a preheated 325 degree F oven until warmed through, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Take off the lid of the pot, drizzle the top of the meat with oil, sprinkle with cheese, and broil to lightly crust the top. Cut down through the layers of the potatoes, tomatoes, and onions to portion the meat, serve in shallow bowls with crusty bread and pan juices.

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Ivan, you just won your own competition (but put it on the wrong thread.) I'll bet the guys were entertained by the photo setup.

Cheers!

Barry

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
Ivan-Please Please make this photos available as a Poster and I promise you you'll make some serious cash and I will certainly be the one to buy the first dozen. So funny I damn near fell out of my chair !!!!!

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Ah, so the age old dilemma has been solved-- Africans prefer white meat to dark!

Actually this is a rare color picture taken just before the declaration of the "State of Emergency" in Kenya. The man (holding panga) behind Cpt. Montgomery (in the pot) is Dedan Kimathi. It was just after this picture was taken that he was captured in the Mau forest outside of Nairobi.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, there's nothing like camp cooking!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That is hilarious!!!!! tu2

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sorry,

The title made me think this belonged in the "Red Haired Girl" thread down in Walter's area.

Obviously I was wrong

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
THAT IS THE PHOTO OF THE DECADE, PERIOD, DONE.! tu2 beer

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
rotflmo
Hilarious, Ivan you set us up with the photo thread cos you had an ACE up your sleave tu2

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
........and I thought guru looked bad!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Clients, The other white meat!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Walter finally got his butt in a big frying pan...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
ha ha yes i had to decoy you in with the thread title !! the soup was good but needed onions

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Fantastic ! Smiler

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is funny.
:-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan, Would the main ingredient in that stew be called JOEWITT?

Posts: 67 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That pic made me think of this old song:

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones. Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones.

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones. Now hear the word of the Lord.

Toe bone connected to the foot bone Foot bone connected to the leg bone Leg bone connected to the knee bone...

~Ann

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:

I. CARTER HUNTING SAFARIS.
WE PREPARE EVERY GUEST FOR A DELICIOUS EXPERIENCE

one of us
posted Hide Post
That ought to sell some hunts!