Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo in locked box
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted
I tried to do a search for this but did not find what I was looking for.

When traveling to Africa do you have to have your ammo inside a locked box that is inside of your locked suitcase?

If so what boxes do you use and where owuld I find one?

Thanks,

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to be on the safe side on my last several plane trips, which includes flying into South Africa, Zimbabwe and Canada I have locked my ammo in the smaller sized Pelican boxes. On my Africa trip it took two of them. I now use the locks that TSA can open. Actually no one has ever asked to even see my ammo. But just to be safe....

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
GH,

There is no regulation that I can find that requires ammo to be in a separate locked box. However, some people have had the airlines request it. So, maybe it's better to be safe than sorry.

Some have recommended a metal cash box that you can by at Walmart (or other discount store).

I use a plastic pistol case (cheap ones available at discount stores or sporting goods stores). You can cut up the foam in the pistol case to the size you need for padding if you don't fill the case with ammo.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't what you're looking for in the way of an answer, but I have a large box about the size of a medium cooler that I use. The box is made of aluminum and has a locking hasp. Inside, each wall (+ top-n-bottom) is lined with an inch-thick layer of closed cell foam. That serves as an ammo bunker, a place to put binocs, spare scopes, and other delicate items, and on arrival, it is a place to keep the passport, spare cash, and the like.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I bought this Doskocill pistol case several years ago [14" Wide X 9" Deep X 4.5" High - outside measurements]. It will hold 12 Remington size boxes of ammo (with a thin sheet of foam for padding) or 7 Federal size boxes [or a varied combination of the two].

I think 12 boxes of ammo will probably exceed the 11 pound limit but I just wanted to show the maximum load. Use foam to fill in the space when you load the case less than full.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Both Delta and SAA rules say to put the ammo in your gun case which is how I traveled to Namibia this past May. I No problems with either airline in doing this. I even carried letters from representatives of the airlines in case I was challenged. They knew the rules as I was asked 3 different times if my ammo was in my guncase. I just answered "yes" and nothing else was said. However, it appears they also have been accepting ammo in checked luggage so go figure! Terry Blauwkamp uses lockable metal cash boxes he gets at Wal Mart in the stationary section. They are inexpensive and do the job.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always packed most of my ammo in my rifle case, I now use a Tuff Pak, I always pack some in my other checked bag too, just in case they ask to see it. This way if my rifles "make it" the ammo does to, and if they ask to see ammo I would show them what is in the other bag.
Still ammo has not been an issue except once when going to a 3 gun match where I had aboout 50 lbs of ammo.
I have also carried about 180 lbs of ammo in 2 suitcases [in the old days {pre 911}] with out problems. Some of the schools I have gone to I needed a lot of ammo. I showed up at the airport one time with 2 checked suitcases that weighed over 90 lbs each... the ticket agent said " My God what do you have in here lead?" I just smiled and said "YUP" with a serious but friendly look on my face, he put the stickers on the suitcases and sent them through.
I always carry a printout of the particular airlines rules with me, I have never needed them however.
I have found if I am friendly, cooperative, and firm when necessary I do not have any problems when dealing with any kind of "official".

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
On my recent trip to Moz. via RSA I had no problems w/ ammo in my checked bags. I used a plastic box by Doskil but no one asked.
I did have a problem w/ SAA w/ my rifle case though. I used a Cabela's luggage piece w/ the zip bottom & a breakdown shotgun case for my rifle. I took the action out of the stock & shipped everything in one case. SAA does NOT allow this. I had no problem checking thru la-atlanta-rsa but on the return I had to take the rifle case out & send it seperate. So much for convenience. Another reason NOT to fly SAA again.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All that is required is to have them in factory "type" boxes with "seperators" in your luggage, and not your gun case..In the case of Northwest/Klm, you may put them in a seperate locked box in your gun case but they must be in the seperator type boxes....

I just put the factory boxes in my suitcase and lock it with the new locks that are airline friendly that they can open or else they will cut the locks....

5 kilos, 11 lbs. is your limit of ammo in the USA airlines.

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Giraffe Hunter,

I use the pelican 1400 case for my ammo.

This case is not cheap but, it is VERY well made tough as nails throughout.....it will hold 12 boxes of 7mm Rem Mag. ammo without a hitch yet despite it's volume I don't find it bulky at all. Another thing I really like about these cases are their versatility....ie - with a foam insert it can double as a dust and water proof camera and/or electronics case or just a secure place to keep valuables while traveling. Actually, I like mine so much I am contemplating purchasing another just for cameras, lenses etc...

Check out the pelican website for a better look.

http://www.pelican.com/cases/cases.html

Regards,

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise. I will be putting my ammo in a pistol case just to be on the safe side. It's funny that I did not think to use a pistol case myself.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote