Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Have any of you hunted with Engonyameni Safaris
near Kaapmuiden, RSA?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I've not hunted with them, but Jeff Cooper has hunted with them on several occasions, and as a result a number of Gunsite grads have done so, HunterJim among them. I know Danie van Graan, the owner/PH, and he's a very nice guy. I've heard several stories of hunts with him, all positive.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you. I have hunted with Danie three times, and was just curious as to how many on this forum have as well. On one trip to the states Danie and I went up to see Jeff and I enjoyed being with him.

quote:
Originally posted by Slingster:
I've not hunted with them, but Jeff Cooper has hunted with them on several occasions, and as a result a number of Gunsite grads have done so, HunterJim among them. I know Danie van Graan, the owner/PH, and he's a very nice guy. I've heard several stories of hunts with him, all positive.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bill,

As Eric says I hunted with Danie. Good guy, and good hunt too!

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Danie in 2000 and had wonderful experience. The game was extremely plentiful, we took 5 nice kudu bulls. The topography reminds me of the Texas Hill Country which I have hunted often. I would very much enjoy going back.

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
If you go to the SCI convention please give him my fond regards. I may have met you at one of the conventions a few years back. At one time I had even signed up to go to one of your classes, and then a serious injury prevented that. Where are you conducting classes now?

Bill Berlat
Pinetop and Tucson, AZ

quote:
Originally posted by T_Russell:
I hunted with Danie in 2000 and had wonderful experience. The game was extremely plentiful, we took 5 nice kudu bulls. The topography reminds me of the Texas Hill Country which I have hunted often. I would very much enjoy going back.

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bill,

We met when you were in San Diego for the local SCI show.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
That goes back a bit. As I recall I was there with Selwyn Low of MacLaren Safaris and won a Winchester Model 94 in .22 Mag.

quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
Bill,

We met when you were in San Diego for the local SCI show.

jim

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I will will be seeing Danie in Reno and will pass along your regards. Sorry you couldn't make the class before, I should have the schedule for this year up later in the week so check the website.

Weidman's Heil

Tom Russell

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I read articles and books by Jeff Cooper and he always has good words for Danie van Graan.I saw that sometimes he uses a copilot 4570 and he even took a cape buffalo with it ,very intersting .I sometimes killed buffalo with my marlin guide gun .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6381 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Howdy!

Would you please get Danie's current email for me? I lost it when I blew up my last machine.

Please and thank you...jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Colonel Cooper was with us during my hunt there in 2000 and we celebrated his 80th birthday. He gave Danie (pronounced Donny) the Co-Pilot, which I don't believe you can do any longer. I shot the rifle off the bench with some of Danie's loads. (Hot!!!) I know quite a few others who have hunted with Danie and all seemed to have had very nice hunts.

Jim, if you can send me a reminder next Monday at tom@americanfirearmsacademy.com I will get Danie's email to you.

Tom

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks, I will do so...jim

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Ola, Juan. The 45-70 is not a welcome topic on this forum, but so be it. I am also a 45-70 fan and have used mine to hunt and with fine success. Not in Africa, however.

And yes, Danie did use a 45-70 with very stiffly loaded cartridges, and very successfully. One of these days I need to visit your country. I went to, and enjoyed your website. If I could afford to go, I would like to hunt doves and a brocket deer.
thumb

quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
I read articles and books by Jeff Cooper and he always has good words for Danie van Graan.I saw that sometimes he uses a copilot 4570 and he even took a cape buffalo with it ,very intersting .I sometimes killed buffalo with my marlin guide gun .Juan

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Since my childhood my father gives me articles by Jeff Cooper his articles and teaches saved my life a couple of times .I believe hes a good model for our youngs and now im breeding my childs with the aid of his philosophy if someone can contact him say that even here in Argentina we admired his work ,please dont say that im carrying a glock 40 now and that i left in my house the 1911 my father gave me when i was 12 .Please publish the website of Danie .On respect on the 4570 i can say that i killed more buffalos with it that it would nice to publish and several cebues too .Yes we can hunt brocket deer and doves in my farm i can make a very special ofert for a friend of JEFF COOPER .juan pablo pozzi md.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6381 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,

I will be speaking to the Colonel this afternoon and will pass on your appreciation.

Regards, Tom Russell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,

Just had the most pleasant conversation with both the Colonel and Janelle. He enjoyed hearing your post and it gave him great pleasure that his efforts have benefited you and your family. Spread the word down there about him. You can pull his latest commentary off of my website and pass it around.

Do you have all of his books?

Regards, Tom

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
quote:
p

T-Russell i readed the biography of the COLONEL by his daugther lyndy and to ride speat the truth and shoot straigth i only have Lindys book ,but monthly i read Cooper commentaries hes real famous here does he know that here shooting and hunting are among the most popular sports,tell him that shooting is very popular thanks to the swiss inmigrants ,and every town has at least a tiro federal or fedearl shooting range constructed by the goverment .Several argentines trained in gunsite and are teaching here now .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan,

It is heartening to learn that good people in Argentina are being exposed to the Colonel's writing and philosophy. I have never known anyone who was enthusiastic about his writing who wasn't strong and positive.

I was not aware that of the shooting tradition in Argentina. A solid shooting tradition, independent mindset, and love of liberty are keys to a free, strong country.

Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
All very heart warming as I also have in the past corresponded with Jeff Cooper in the past on the subject of scout rifles. Colonel Cooper always responded to and answered my letters with courtesy and haste.

I believe that he recommends and uses a .460 G&A for thick skinned dangerous game if I'm not mistaken, and owns based on a Brno 602 action, one he named "Baby".

I’ve got friends who’ve hunted with Dannie at his ranch and highly recommend it.

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
I agree with Juan. I have been reading Cooper's Commentaries for years as well. Hope they continue for many more.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,

Coincidently, the Colonel just received Baby back from Africa where she was in danger of being lost forever. John Gannaway is totally responsible for getting the rifle back. It was truly a great day.

Tom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the original question. The primary species available at Enonyameni are kudu, wildebeest, impala, bushbuck, and Wart Hog less common are bushpig, hyena, duiker etc We saw a great deal of game every day. As mentioned the topography hilly and there were times when we found ourselves sprinting up those hills. Some very nice kudu were taken.

The ranch is just outside the border of Kruger so there some great sight seeing opportunities.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Jaegers ,i was breeded following Cooper principles,all the members of my huge family served in the army ,navy or air force ,all of them hunts,some of them compete in shooting matches,every month we read the colonels commentaries,i try to follow his teachings and i agree in every concept ,i can testified that the 223 is only a coyote rifle from my ph and scout experience and that you need a powerful caliber for combat and dangerous hunting .One more time . Danie website please.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
Tom
Good news that Baby is back I had not heard.
Brother Duane and I are finalizing Africa plans. We will have pictures for October.
I just re-read The Colonel on African Antelope Impressions, From TO Ride.
Best Regards
Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am sure glad I started this post. Danie and Karin Van Graan, Jeff Cooper, and all of you guys....good people all. I cannot make the SCI convention and please give my best to Danie, and to Jeff Cooper if you see him. Planning to head down in June, more to visit than to hunt. thumb

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill & Hunter Jim,

I passed your hello onto Danie at SCI Reno. He remembers you well. His email address is vgraan@mweb.co.za.

Tom

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the email ill like to hunt with the PH of Cnel.Cooper.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA