THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    9.3 bullets: Woodleigh, Northfork etc

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 bullets: Woodleigh, Northfork etc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

Some questions on 9.3 bullets:

(1) Midway accidentally sent me some 320gr. Woodleigh PP softs, when I ordered 286gr Woodleigh RN. I was going to send them back, but I was thinking maybe I could work a load up for them. My Chapuis regulates with a mild load of 54.0gr of IMR4064 (I am working on a 4831 load), at about 2,200 fps. I'll have to load up for the 320s, but I might, just might, if I work carefully work up a load that regulates.

What do you think?

(2) Not wanting to start any fights
sofa
Are those Northfork bullets that everyone is raving about safe to shoot in double rifles? I was looking arround their site and I was thinking about ordering some 286grs. But they seem to have "mono" metal base.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Chasseur - I've found that heavier bullets do not regulate in my .375. The individual barrels group well, but do it about 5" apart horizontally. Based on what i've read here and at nitroexpress, it sounds like my gun is the exception rather than the rule... which is to say that most DR shooters are able to get different weights to regulate.

As to the NFs, I've shot them in my DR (the cup points) and the velocity for powder charge leads me to believe that they require less "force"/"resistance" to get through the barrel, as target velocities are typically reached with less powder.

They unfortunately will not regulate in my DR either, but they do print the best groups (individually) of any bullet i've tried.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chasseur:
But they seem to have "mono" metal base.

It is not monometal that is hard on doubles per se, just monometal that does not give. You will notice that the NF has a number of driving bands on the side which permit it to engrave on the rifling easily, without pressure spikes that Barnes solids are known for. I have shot many driving band bullets in my double, both from GS Custom and Bridger, without any hiccup at all. In face, driving band bullets are the most accurate in my double. And in my bolt guns too. This may be due to the fact that a driving band bullet has less obturation in order to engrave on the rifling.

However, I doubt that NF or any other manufacturer will guarantee that no double will be harmed. Woodleigh will not even do that. Regarding Woodleigh, I find their solid bullets develop pressure much faster than driving band designs.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know if it's a help or not but my 9.3x74 regulated with 65 gr of old 4831 and a 300 gr A-frame

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote