New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lions in suburbia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Below photo of 2 lion climbing over a gate in Karen, Nairobi. They entered the garden of Iain Douglas-Hamilton's residence in Nairobi about a month or so ago. While this area is less populated, it is in the middle of suburban Nairobi with schools, residences, supermakets, etc all around.

Just when you thought it was safe to take your dog out for a pee in your garden .......

Anohter lioness (One of these two or a differnt one is not known?) was spotted at night crossing a residential road in Karen last week.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Did they eat the watchdog? Eeker

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
I imagine the dog could outrun the Askari.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless he or she is a jack russell, then they attack the silly lion for trespassing.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
My four Jack Russells are smarter. At least, with the wild boar in my neighborhood. They will bark, of course, but we has a shoat pass by within 15 feet and they just looked. It helped that they were with me and leashed, but while they were quite interested, they left it alone.

Now, if it were another dog, that would be different. dancing

quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Unless he or she is a jack russell, then they attack the silly lion for trespassing.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Be careful when you step outside for a pee Wink

Karen might be towards the edge of town but is still built-up suburbia!

Oh to live somewhere like that!

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Those lionesses could be useful for reducing all sorts of trespassers. Wink

~Ann

Posts: 19223 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
wonder how many leopards are also wandering around?

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the Bushnell game camera was set at the front gate?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oz, they knew these were around and were hoping to get it on film.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
That image was taken closer to Langata than Karen. However, the lionesses have also been frequenting Karen Club golf course which would be quite scary as there are many places to lie in ambush there.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Would have been interesting seeing them cros Magadi road. Eeker

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote