New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selous--CITES permits?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So do I need to obtain the CITES permits for leopard and elephant BEFORE I hunt them?, seems backwards from what I usually do.kld

Posts: 185 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think so. I believe the permits are good for one year only. To a certain extend, the later you apply, the better off you are. In other words, if you apply 9 months before your trip, the permit will almost certainly expire before the trophy shipment date.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
USFW encourages you to get it before you go.

I don't know if it makes a difference in the approval process, but they do ask that it be done in advance. Having said that, there is no requirement to do so, even in the paperwork. I know lots of folks who have done it afterwards.

I have gotten mine beforehand, but right now I'm sitting on a leopard that is close to delivery dates, and has the permits expire in June.

I would look at it from the end of if your company is really good at shipping the trophies, waiting might delay shipping things. If they are not, you saved yourself $100, and maybe more by getting it right before shipping.

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote