New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Impala/ Red Wildebeest
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just seen an offer to hunt Black impala. Does anyone know if the are importable under Cites? Also the mentioned a red wildebeest, not something I am familiar with. Is it a distinct species or a colour phase like melanistic, albino etc?

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

There is a black faced impala in Namibia and it seems that I read something about a rancher that had some all black impala somewhere. I don't recall ever hearing anything about a red wildebeest. I have seen black wildebeest that looked quite red though. I have no idea about importability but I bet T. Carr will know the right website to check right off the top of his head.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Are you referring to the black-faced (Angolan) impala? The black-faced impala is listed as endangered under the US Endangered Species Act (it is not listed by CITES). To my knowledge, no US import of sport hunted trophies of the black-faced impala is allowed.

I'm guessing it is a red hartebeest NOT a red wildebeest (never heard of a red wildebeest).

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

If you really are talking about a "black impala" and a "red wildebeest" then it sounds like this is controlled breeding for recessive genes and why in the hell would anyone want to hunt one of those animals?

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I saw a few black faced impala in the Free State a while back, and we had a cople of veldbok blacks a few years back, but I think they got poached.

They probably did mean red hartebeest, but last april I did see a red blue wildebeest near Klerksdorp in NW on a small game farm. Darnedest thing I ever saw. This was a well established herd, not a fresh buy at the auction. He would probably go 31 or 32 inches as well. I took a 32.5 incher out of there the same day I saw the red phased one, I'm looking for the pics now, when I find it I'll post it.

Here's the 32.5" bull from the same herd, guy on right owns farm.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've spoken with some guys in RSA, that are breeding an all black Impala on their ranches. The prices at the moment for breeding stock is something like $20,000US for males. I've no info on a Red Wildebeast.

That being said, some guys might want to shoot black Impala. But, to me it's like the black or white Springbok, or the white Blesbok. I'm not interested in shooting such animals.

/

Posts: 802 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen black Impala in RSA. They are gorgeous! I can't see a reason why they would not be importable under CITES or the ESA as they are most certainly not even mentioned in CITES or US Endangered Species Act legislation. They are not even taxonomically differentiated from a run of the mill Southern Impala to my knowledge. I would personally be more interested in taking a Black Faced Imapala since the RSA hunt for the all black variety will likely not be much of a hunt.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a ranch with Red Wildebeast in the northen Province. They are more red then the Hartebeast. The Owner whos name escapes me right now is the oldest PH in RSA if anyone recalls his name. I think he is about 75 years old. I met him and saw the Wildebeast last year for the first time. He will not allow anyone to hunt them. However if he has them then somebody else probably does too. This would be a very rare trophy for sure!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I know for sure that the black face impala (from Angola) are available on a couple ranches in north-central Namibia. Peter Sohrada has a couple hundred of them on his ranch near Otjiwarongo, and he's told me there are two other ranches near him that have them. More than once I've seen "top 10" level trophies on the Sohrada Ranch. The trophy fee is $1725. I also know that Peter Stofberg of Nimrod Safaris has access to them too, as his partner Kobus Honiball's family owns a ranch in the same area that has them.

They cannot readily be imported into the USA. I'm told that you can apply for a permit via John Jackson of Conservation Force. As I recall it costs about $600 and takes a year or so to be able to import them.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I never understood why some animals can be hunted, but not imported. The cheetah is a prime example, you can shoot them as pests, but they can't come home. I believe the black faced impala is that way also.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I at first first thought this was the black faced impala. Now, I dont know. It is off Blaauwkrantz's website.

www.blaauwkrantz.com

Quote:

4 March 2004 - We have located a hunting area along the coast that has the very rare Black Impala, their entire population in the world is only 300, only 3 trophies have ever been hunted, there are 250 on this property. We also detected a very rare Red Wildebeest on this property, very interesting. Contact us for more information.

It is only a matter of days when our hunting season will commence for the year, we look forward to another very good hunting season. From beginning of 2004, Eardley & Francois along with Arthur are all life members of SCI. Watch this space for what happens at Blaauwkrantz during our eventful hunting season!

I still have no idea about a red wildebeest. Hartebeest yes, wildebeest no.

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I will only reply to what is termed the "red wildebeest". What was really meant is(?): " A predominantly red coulered blue wildebeest." Now we all know that a blue wildebeest is NOT blue, but rather grey/black/brown/brindled, well you know what I mean. The red blue wildebeest is a melanistic phase of the blue wildebeest and can be described as reddish/brown/brindled. If I were to say someone shot an albino blue wildebeest you would know what color the animal's hair is? Yes, not blue but, colorless or white. Similarly the main color of some melanistic phases of springbok is just added before the name to describe the animal as a white springbok or a black springbok. You also talk of a white blesbok. And in exactly the same manner Mike Smith should have said a "red blue wildebeest", i.e. just add the predominant color before the name, like hhmag did in his posting!

There is no doubt that a red blue wildebeest is only a melanistic pbase of the normal Connochaetes taurinus or blue wildebeest. Some individuals with this color crops up in herds on rare occasions, like in the herd near Potchefstroom where hhmag shot his magnificent normal color blue wildebeest [congratulations hhmag]. The well know South African magazine Man Magnum had a short write up and photo of one recently. [I recently moved house and had to travel light, discarded my copy.] Would somone who has one please scan the photo and post it, with due recognition of the source so as to not infringe copyright laws?

I hear from game capturers that herds in the eastern parts of Botswana have relatively more of these than elsewhere. It is quite possible that some enterprising game rancher has caught some, and is breeding selectively for the resessive (?) trait, hoping to, as he probably will, like the people who sell black impala for $ 20000, make some money from his rare animals. Good for him. Good for the hunting outfitter. Good for the South African forex situation. Good for the wealthy hunter who has an unusual conversation piece. Man red blue wildebeest is good for everyone! Just creating a bit of confusing with the name. Hope my posting helped some to understand the situation.

There should be no trouble with exporting such melanistic phases of a no-CITES and non endangered animal. You may however be unlucky and get an inexperienced customs official opening the crate , but the problem should be sorted out quite easily.

Verewaaier.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Matt,

The Black faced Impala is native to Northern Namibia. The natural distribution is Etosha National Park and surrounding areas that being, ranches bordering the park in the east, south, Hobatere and there are also a few in my concession that borders the west of Etosha. Their numbers were low however the Ministry of Environment and Tourism is establishing a "buffer zone" around Etosha to prevent hybrids. Hybrids being a mix of the Southern or common Impala and the Black faced/ Angolan Impala. There are several ranches that have hybrids in Namibia.
Many private ranches have herds of and hunt introduced black faced Impala as they are importable in Europe.

As for Black Impala, Red Wildebeest......can only be in S.A or Texas.....

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to go off topic, but how were black/white springbok/blesbok originally produced? I heard somewhere it was all done on gameranches, such animals will never survive in an enclosure with predators etc. They seem less natural somehow, although they don't have to be very wary to qualify as a genius in the blesbok world anyway!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Boghossian,

I'll risk an attempt at answering, although there may, no, make that definately are, be better qualified individuals out there to do so.

My understanding is that all these black, white and red individuals are mereky melanistic variations of the natural or normal color. The gene(s) the control the final color is(are) resessive and occurs in very low numbers in the normal population. Just like the albino, or absolutely no pigment production, gene it always lurks in the background. The individual animals with these genes are in no way, other than color, different from the rest of the population. They are not a different subspecies at all. They genetically and by learning react naturally like any of their kind. It is true that for the human eye they do "stand out" a bit from the rest of the herd. Then remember that predators are always on the lookout for anything that indicates any weakness, and they have a very keen eye for observing anything unusual. But the bascally color blind predators can at most see a difference in the amount of light reflected, sort of in black and white, that there is something unusual about the particular individual. That makes the unusual colored individual a target, not a choice target, like one with an obvious limp, slowness or diseased one, but a target nevertheless. Being a bit of a predator target puts the odd-colored male individual at a disadvantage of ever becoming a really dominant and ofspring producing male, but he could very well be successful in siring offspring. The female may also not live quite a normal lifespan. To the color blind males an odd colored female in estrus is fair game, so they do breed naturally. The lamb from an odd color individual is more likely to also be an odd colored one than in the normal population. [Ask a good animal geneticist the exact %, I don't know.] The natural selection through millenia has always kept the occurance of such odd-colored individuals in a herd very low. The erradication of most or all of the natural predators by man started the change. These odd colored ones now had higher chance than in the past ofbreeding success, and the gene became more prevalent. At some time some enterprising game owner caught some white or black individuals, kept them separate in an enclosure, and presto, a new animal color variation was "created".

Then came the crux: Some bigshot in SCI [or other hunting record organization] management shot a white / black / red / copper individual. Now as his was the biggest ever recorded, a new classification was forcably introduced into the SCI book. Man did he like it to see his name at the top of the list? Pity the list was so very short then!

Today every second game rancher has a few white or black springbok or blesbok on offer. These color variants freely interbreed with the normal ones, but sometimes these are kept in quite separate enclosures.

Watch this space for the soon to be recognised by the likes of SCI "copper blesbok", of which a few are now regularly shot in the eastern Free State every year. Please don't flame me, I'm not digging at SCI, just stating the facts as I see them.

In exchange for sharing the information the moderators may allow my marketing bit? I can offer hunters an opportunity of a shot at copper blesbok, in addition to the normal and other color variants. Right now I don't have red blue wildebeest on offer, but if some market exists, I'll find a source of supply. Let me warn though that the cost will be high! As I said before: Good for the outfitter! If still interested send me a PM.

Verewaaier.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Actually Verewaaier I agree with you. Creating these color variants creates a market. For awhile, those with the color variant have the market cornered. I suppose we will soon have all white or all black zebras to hunt.

I misunderstood the original thread post. It must be an all black impala that Mike is being offered.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay fellas, here's my opinion on the subject. It's worth exactly what you paid for it, so take it for what it's worth.

Mutations occur in nature from the natural forces of Evolution. Me being a Christian, I don't believe that everything evolved from slime in a pond, but life does evolve. It changes naturally over time to better adapt to changes taking place around it. The genetic code on one animal in a million or so doesn't line up as normal and you get something different. But, not every change works and in fact most are consumed by the elements before they get a chance to thrive.

Now, black mutations are Melanistic mutations. The animal's genetic code for color in dominated by black genes. But, other colors are not melanistic in nature and may adhere to a different set of genetic rules. Some color mutations may be dominate, even over the natural wild color. But, most are recessive, and take a bit of breeding back to the original animal to fix the color into the population.

Also, not all color mutations are quickly eliminated in the wild. Just take a look at Black Bears. You can find the bear in the wild in many different colors. These different colors tend to be central to certain areas that you hunt, and are proof that the natural mutation is thriving in the wild. You've got the Blue(Glacier) phase in Southeast Alaska, and the red, cinnamons, blondes scattered thru other areas.

Does SCI have different catagories to list the different Black Bear colors? How about Pi-bald deer? Some people even believe that Dall Sheep and Stone Sheep are the same animal. In fact there is a grey area where the two overlap and interbreed that would support this idea.

Most if not all of the mutations in African animals is brought into being by controlled breeding on game farms. The original animal would have been a natural occurance. Someone sees it and directs a breeding program to fix the color into the population.

I like to look at these unusual new colors. But, I don't care to hunt them.

/

Posts: 802 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. This sheds a lot of light on the subject. I had wrongly assumed the animal offered was a black faced impala. As far as a "red wildebeest" I had never heard of such a thing so didnt know what it was. I had an idea it was probably a melanistic form of some wildebeest subspecies but had no idea which one. I guess I am not really interested after all.

Verewaaier, I have also seen offers for "bronze" blesbok which I assume is the same as copper. All this selective breeding amazes me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of a Black-Faced Impala I saw in June in Etosha Park, Namibia.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been two articles in African Indaba Volume 1#5 about this topic. Although the articles deal mainly with hybrids (the so-called red wildebeest is a undesirable hybrid), some information about color-phase animals is given too. You can read the articles online at African Indaba (Volume 5)

Article Titles:
a) Can current trends in the game industry be reconciled with nature conservation?

b) Black Wildebeest hybridization workshop report

You can also access the current issue of African Indaba at African Indaba Main Page or go to Nickudu's Files for a pdf download. Subscription to African Indaba is free - for subscription details see AI homepage.

Muskwa

Posts: 42 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from africa. This really is a beast of a different color and it is green like money!

Quote:

Regarding your questions on the Black Impala, there are only 300 available in Africa and only 3 have been hunted internationally and the numbers are now sufficient that trophies can be taken and the trophy fee is $10 000.

It is a melanistic impala but an impala none the less.

Anyone interested?

Muskwa, Why is the red blue wildebeest an undesireable hybrid as compared to other hybrids?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

In order to make the issue less complicated, I will quote from articles by Nature Conservation officials in SA. And to answer your question re hybrids � it�s poor conservation, rather it�s not conservation!

Bontebok & Blesbok

Bontebok is endemic to the southeastern portion of the southwestern Cape. The Blesbok was confined in historical times to the grassland areas of the central and eastern portion of South Africa.
Threats facing Bontebok today incl the probable erosion of genetic variability and the most important threat - the hybridization with Blesbok - that has been both deliberate and accidental. Bontebok are currently regarded as Vulnerable, with an estimated total population of approximately 3000 animals, of which 2000 animals are privately owned. Almost 50 purebred populations have currently been registered, and of these only 15 are located within the natural range of the Bontebok. Bontebok were translocated, extra-limitally to the Free State Province and were allowed to crossbreed with Blesbok. These hybrid animals were then widely distributed, throughout South Africa, and some were even sent back to areas within the natural distribution range of the species. The offspring of these hybrids are fertile.
Because of the extent of the hybridization, SCI requested the South African conservation authorities in the 1980's to register purebred Bontebok populations Only trophies hunted on these registered farms are recognized by SCI.
Irreversible damage has been done, and is still being done, with hybrid populations occurring, and being moved throughout South Africa. The genetic integrity of both the Blesbok and the Bontebok is at risk. In the Free State Province conservation authorities have had to destroy some Blesbok populations on Provincial nature reserves that were contaminated. So-called purebred Blesbok populations on private farmland are mostly hybrids (Vrahimis 2003).

Black and Blue Wildebeest:

Black Wildebeest is endemic to the central open plains of South Africa. Today they are all confined to nature reserves and private game ranches. After being a rare species for many years, the Black Wildebeest is safe from extinction thanks to a few conservation-minded landowners. Black Wildebeest were also exposed to severe bottlenecks in the past, which has also resulted in the loss of genetic variability.
The species has been widely reintroduced within its former natural distribution range; however, these animals have also been established extra-limitally within South Africa and on private farmland in Namibia. Recently, Black Wildebeest have also been introduced to private farms in Botswana.
Until recently Black Wildebeest were categorised as �Lower Risk (conservation dependant)�, but the status was recently revised and the species is presently classified as �Vulnerable�, mainly as the result of the threat posed by hybridization with the Blue Wildebeest. The estimated Black Wildebeest population size is approximately 18 000 animals, of which approximately 80% are found on private game ranches. Although the natural distribution range of these two species is known to have overlapped in historical times, there is no recorded evidence of any hybridization during this period. However, the confinement of the two species together in protected areas and on private farmland has, in some cases, resulted in hybridization and fertile offspring.
The external appearance of hybrids can vary, with the most prominent and reliable feature being the shape of the horns. First generation hybrids are easily identified. However, hybrids interbred with pure stock Black Wildebeest are difficult to recognise on appearance alone.
It has always been believed that hybridization only occurs under artificial conditions, where males of the one species and females of the other species were forced together in a confined area. However, it was later established that crossbreeding is possible wherever the two species are kept together, irrespective of the size of the area. This has been illustrated in a case of hybridization that has been described on the Krugersdorp Municipal Reserve, where the scale of hybridization was of such a nature that it was impossible to distinguish hybrids, and subsequently all the Wildebeest in the area had to be destroyed. During 2000, in a protected area in KwaZulu-Natal (ca. 6000 ha) where large herds of both Black and Blue Wildebeest were housed together, once again, all the Wildebeest had to be destroyed because of hybridization.
Presently, in the Free State, Northern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal alone, there are more than 120 private properties housing both Black and Blue Wildebeest together.
Although Black Wildebeest populations are presently more threatened by hybridization, Blue Wildebeest herds are also at risk, due to the possible crossbreeding of hybrid animals with pure Blue Wildebeest. While the extensive distribution that the Blue Wildebeest has in Africa means that this species is not similarly threatened, the genetic integrity of both South African populations are at risk - a threat that could seriously impact on the credibility of the local hunting industry.
A national project has been initiated to develop a national strategy and action plan for Wildebeest in South Africa. National legislation, forcing landowners to separate herds of Black and Blue Wildebeest is likely to be promulgated in the near future. The full extent of this problem, however, still needs to be determined throughout South Africa and hunters, both local and overseas are asked to assist where possible.

Other Species

Confirmed cases of the hybridization of the following species have also been recorded on game ranches in South Africa in the past, but do not presently seem to pose a serious threat, as indications are that the offspring of these hybrids appear to be sterile:
Eland (Taurotragus oryx) X Kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros)
Red Hartebeest (Alcelaphus buselaphus) X Blesbok (Damaliscus pygargus phillipsi)
Hartmann Zebra (Equus zebra hartmannae) X Burchell Zebra (Equus burchelli)

Spread of Colour variations of indigenous species in South Africa

Through a process of natural selection over time species have developed that have adapted to local conditions. Although the occurrence of colour mutations of some animals is a natural phenomenon, in natural systems these mutations rarely survive, given the predator prey situation normally associated within natural systems. This is mainly due to the fact that these animals often stand out making them very visible, e.g. a white Springbok. There is presently a wide array of these colour mutations which include, white and yellow Blesbok, white and black Springbok and recently even copper coloured Springbok. Other new additions to the list are black Impala, and I have also lately heard of red Wildebeest, which apparently exist in the Limpopo Province.
According to geneticists, the colour variation is probably caused by a single recessive gene. The present practice where game ranchers are keeping these colour variants, in closed systems, and selecting for these variations, is resulting in genetic variation being lost in these populations due to inbreeding and genetic drift. In turn this inbreeding is likely, over time, to lead to inbreeding depression which can eventually result in reduced survival and reproductive rates.
Although this may not, in the short term, appear to pose a serious threat, the long-term consequence can be predicted and can most certainly, have far reaching effects, especially at the rate in which more and more game ranchers are keeping these abnormalities, and are getting rid of their natural populations. This is done purely for economic reasons, as these variants bring in up to four times more - for some of the species, and are widely sought after by hunters.
Some of the colour variations, e.g. the yellow Blesbok, of which I have some experience, have poor eyesight and bad hearing and also have a poor reproductive rate. Surely one would not want to promote and distribute animals with such poor qualities. As long as there is a demand for such colour variations, game ranchers will continue to provide these animals - this demand stems mainly from the hunting fraternity.

Conclusion

The problems highlighted in this presentation are almost entirely as the result of private game ranchers in South Africa, wanting to accommodate hunters and offering as many wildlife species as possible - almost a type of �a one stop destination for all your hunting requirements. The game ranching industry is undoubtedly driven along the lines of �supply and demand�. As long as the hunter is prepared to hunt species outside of their natural distribution range - as long as the hunter is prepared to hunt these colour variations of species - and as long as a hunter is not concerned about the possibility of hunting a hybrid specimen, the game rancher will continue to provide these animals and it will be business as usual.
The problems highlighted are mainly as the result - or have been conducted in the name of hunting and often � when it suits the wildlife industry under the banner of conservation. The present unacceptable situation in the South African game ranching industry is placing the credibility of the industry at stake.

The local hunting associations (CHASA) have taken the right approach by stating that they would recognise only trophies of indigenous species hunted legally and ethically, within the natural distribution range of the species, for local record book purposes. No colour variations of species, or hybrid game animals will be recognised in the record books.
It would be a milestone for conservation in South Africa, if other international hunting bodies would follow this example.

Posts: 42 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muskwa, this confirms what I already knew. It is very good information. However, I guess I didnt make my meaning clear.

Quote:

Why is the red blue wildebeest an undesireable hybrid as compared to other hybrids?

What I should have said was why was this hybrid worse than any other hybrid? I guess it isnt, but I thought you implied it was from your previous post.