Find
Notify
Tools

Off Topic, Brit Navy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I friend of mine just showed up at the house with an originally cased H&H box-lock double shotgun, 12 gauge 2.5". I has some wonderful wood, etc., of course and is a joy to hold. It only weighs two ozs over 6lbs. Alas, the stock has a wooden 1.5" extention, but the original wood is still over 14" so an old English pad will fix that.

The case is marked CDR G V B Russell. Holland has the original bill of sale to the fellow with not much other information, but do any of you know how we could discover anything personal about the fellow? It's a 1930's gun.

I had a double rifle that went to India and it was fun to find out about the buyer, he being the first Indian Commandant of the Indian Military Academy, knighted and winner of the M.C.

Any help would be appreciated as to websites, etc. I don't have a clue as to where to begin.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can always get a factory letter from Holland and that will tell you when the gun was made, how it left the factory and to whom sold. If it came back into the factory it will tell you that too.
That is a start.
I am not sure how you get into past Brit military records but it is bound to be doable. You have his name and rank already.
Have a couple of hits on the bottle and it will come to you as to how and solve the problem! Big Grin

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JudgeG,

There should be service records for this gentlemen, but quite how you find them I am not sure. I would contact the British Embassy for advice and also the Royal British Legion should be able to help too...Thinking on, theres also the Royal Naval Association...any of these people should be able to point you in the right direction..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote