THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Dawie Groenewald: ’Legal rhino hunt’ took place on suspected poacher’s farm

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dawie Groenewald: ’Legal rhino hunt’ took place on suspected poacher’s farm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted
Dawie Groenewald: ’Legal rhino hunt’ took place on suspected poacher’s farm

Eyewitness News has learnt that suspected rhino poacher Dawie Groenewald is linked to this weekend’s arrest of two Vietnamese nationals in Musina.

Groenewald is currently out on R1 million bail after he was arrested for rhino poaching together with two vets in September 2010.

The pair was arrested on Saturday while trying to leave South Africa with four rhino horns. They were legally hunting on one of Groenewald’s farms.

Police said the two were arrested because they failed to have their trophy kills mounted by a taxidermist and the horns were not chipped.

When police searched Groenewald’s farm last year, they discovered over 30 rhino carcasses. Media reports described his farm as an ‘animal slaughterhouse’.

Law enforcement officials said they will investigate all aspects of the latest arrests.

Meanwhile, South African National Parks (SANParks) on Monday said around 21 rhino were killed in January and around 31 people have been arrested for rhino poaching.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Police probe deepens into rhino poaching suspects

Police say they will investigate all aspects surrounding the arrest of two Vietnamese nationals in connection with rhino poaching. The pair was caught at Wonderboom Airport, in northern Pretoria, trying to leave the country with four rhino horns.

Eyewitness News understands the rhino were killed on a farm belonging to poaching accused Dawie Groenewald.

The pair was arrested for not following procedure in exporting the horns but the police’s investigation will need to look deeper into the links between legal hunting and poaching.

Groenewald was arrested with two vets and eight others last year - and is due to return to court in April.

South African National Parks (SANParks) said 21 rhino have been killed this month while 31 people have been arrested.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
This is going to mean fireworks at the next COP meeting and I'll be bloody astounded if there's not at least an attempt to withdraw all sport hunting rhino quota as a consequence of this.

My guess is by the end of that COP meeting, legal rhino hunting will be a thing of the past.

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Steve, The question I ask, is how the hell are these individuals still able to legally hunt Rhino on a Groenewald property??. Surely the issue of licences /permits etc ceases when one is under an investigation of such magnitude. I understand the concept of innocent until proven guilty but given his history and the fact that 30 rhino carcasses were found on his property....surely thats grounds for suspension of all trading and activity.... Mad

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
The question is how high does the rot start?
Until these crimes are investigated and the culprits brought to book and the sentences fit the crimes, nothing will happen.
To date, very few of the arrests have resulted in prosecution, let alone sentencing.
Everything is "under investigation"

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Frosty,

I agree completely mate.... I find it astounding that the entire operation hasn't been closed down completely! bewildered - I'm also astounded those two guys were given their passports back and allowed to leave the country. bewildered

John,

I'd bet a pound to a pinch of the smelly brown stuff that the guys at the top will NEVER, EVER be nailed, if only for the simple reason that they'll almost certainly be able to claim diplomatic immunity and simply walk away...... and until the guys at the very top are nailed, or all the rhinos in Africa are dead, the problem is going to continue...... but that's not really news to any of us.

I reckon we'll see a time when rhinos are shipped out to safe (or should that be safer?) haven in places like the USA..... but to do that, someone will have to find an awful lot of money to fund the operation and even then, will still have to take a lot of care to protect them from poachers there....... money talks and these guys appear to have absolutely no shortage of that particular commodity.

As I've said before, maybe the only long term answer is to simply sell the damn rhinos to the orientals and let them farm and genetically modify them.

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Too right. As things stand, farming horn is the only practical solution. It will be a lot cheaper and commercially attractive than poaching it, paying cuts to numerous brokers and government douche bags and transporting it illegally across international borders.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote