Find
Notify
Tools

The Safari Store .com
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted
I’ve been getting ready for an upcoming trip in August to hunt with Alan Vincent on his new concession in the Selous. I’ve lost about 60 pounds since I last bought any hunting clothes, so need to get new shirts, pants and shorts for my upcoming hunt. I really like Boyt’s shirts but they are discontinuing them and no longer carry the stuff I need. So I’ve gone looking for a new source other than Cabelas/BassPro.

I found The Safari Store with an online search at www.thesafaristore.com. They seem to have a good selection of hunting clothing at fairly reasonable prices. I just thought I’d post this as I’m sure there are others looking for a good source of high quality safari clothes.

I’ll be ordering some shirts and pants and will report back once I get my order delivered.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve lost about 60 pounds since I last bought any hunting clothes

What??? shocker
Good for you! Send me a pic so I’ll recognize you when I see you next.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Carhartt store for your hunting clothes. pants, shorts, shirts, socks and you'll be fine.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I need a copy of your DIET!!

We didn't get booked with Alan or Pierre Von Tonder. Just came down to only Buff on 10 day hunt at a very high price... so Selous will be a photo tour, hunting elsewhere!!

Wishing you the best!! Have a Great Hunt!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Karl, I’ll post some photos in a hunt report after we return. It’ll only be an appetizer before Saeed posts his annual epic report that we all enjoy following.

Eddy, the diet starts with booking an LDE hunt with Alan for February of ‘24; then talking with Safari Lawyer (Will) whose main advice a year ago was “start walking”. Getting ready for that Cameroon hunt was motivation to get my arse in shape. More to it than that but too long to post here.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Losing 60lbs... Congrats!
You will have to jump around in a shower just to get wet....

If you turn sideways and stick out your tongue, you will look like a zipper....

Trackers won't be able to see you...

Have fun.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Losing 60lbs... Congrats!
You will have to jump around in a shower just to get wet....

If you turn sideways and stick out your tongue, you will look like a zipper....

Trackers won't be able to see you...

Have fun.

rotflmo

Ross, I’ll have to share those lines, in Swahili, with Alan’s crew on the truck. They’ll crack up since I was pretty rotund last time I hunted with them. They’re a fun bunch and now that I have Google Translate I’m gonna have fun bantering with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the heads up and congratulations on 60lbs off!

Just ordered a shirt for my 7 year old (Tag has been sold out for 3 years in kids sizes....) and a set of their animal print buffs for the kids.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Carhart for pants, but TAG for shirts, but re-sew the buttons on the TAG shirts before you leave. They tend to pop off.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5.11 has quality pants.

If you have an R.E.I. in your area they are worth making a trip to as well.

Congratulations on loosing the weight. All the best.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AilsaWheels:
5.11 has quality pants.

If you have an R.E.I. in your area they are worth making a trip to as well.

Congratulations on loosing the weight. All the best.

I would not go to an REI store. They are about as anti hunting as it gets. thumbdown

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, REI is headquartered in Seattle... about as liberal as it can get!!

That said, in the 80s Casey Schwabland CPA was Chairman of the Board, of REI as in Jack and Casey Schwabland, authors of the SCI Record Book, and wildlife historians extraordinaires!!! Jack and Casey were great friends, and very influential in the NORTHWEST CHAPTER, SCI and on the founding Board of SPORTSMEN FOR CONSERVATION FOUNDATION, still active today!!

Jack and Casey were some of the most active international hunters I knew!! At that time REI was competing with The Klineburgers Outfitting Shop in Seattle, taxidermists and booking agents, and headquarters of Eddie Bauer, Expedition outfitters as well... and REI was a great competitor!!...Casey made sure of that!!

I guess the world turns, Eddie Bauer was sold to Speigel Catalog and the guns and fishing went immediately!!...it has turned Yuppie, Whistledick!!... After Chris and Gene Klineburger aged, the business declined and closed, but Cabelas was ramping up across the country. We do have REI stores around Washington, nearest in Tacoma. I buy camping gear and clothing there because it is closer than Cabelas!! I have never heard any negative comments regarding hunting??.... they really are more focused on climbing and skiing...not hunting.

I really think the quality and focus on safari type gear, and Gun Library at Cabelas has declined since the Bass Pro acquisition ....

Sign of the times??!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LL Bean makes a very nice washed canvas ss shirt with 2 button down pockets
Columbia makes a Canvas short withan elastic panel in the waist band and good pockets that is extremely comfortable (they've been of 4 Safaris)
Congrats on the weight loss

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Well, REI is headquartered in Seattle... about as liberal as it can get!!

That said, in the 80s Casey Schwabland CPA was Chairman of the Board, of REI as in Jack and Casey Schwabland, authors of the SCI Record Book, and wildlife historians extraordinaires!!! Jack and Casey were great friends, and very influential in the NORTHWEST CHAPTER, SCI and on the founding Board of SPORTSMEN FOR CONSERVATION FOUNDATION, still active today!!

Jack and Casey were some of the most active international hunters I knew!! At that time REI was competing with The Klineburgers Outfitting Shop in Seattle, taxidermists and booking agents, and headquarters of Eddie Bauer, Expedition outfitters as well... and REI was a great competitor!!...Casey made sure of that!!

I guess the world turns, Eddie Bauer was sold to Speigel Catalog and the guns and fishing went immediately!!...it has turned Yuppie, Whistledick!!... After Chris and Gene Klineburger aged, the business declined and closed, but Cabelas was ramping up across the country. We do have REI stores around Washington, nearest in Tacoma. I buy camping gear and clothing there because it is closer than Cabelas!! I have never heard any negative comments regarding hunting??.... they really are more focused on climbing and skiing...not hunting.

I really think the quality and focus on safari type gear, and Gun Library at Cabelas has declined since the Bass Pro acquisition ....

Sign of the times??!!

WAS is the operative word here.

Yes I’m aware of their stores, been in their many times. I live in Washington too by the way and have a member number that dates back to the 1960s.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2812 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
For pants, go to ebay and type in Used Carrhart Pants. You can get super sturdy 100% cotton work pants for 50% + off the cost of new. For shirts, go to LL Bean. They have 100% cotton safari shirts for $60-$70.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duluth Trading Post.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote