New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reasonable or am I being irrational
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is a roughly 30% premium above the published government trophy fee a reasonable price for game in Tanzania?? My concern is that to hunt lion and leopard you have to shoot a bunch of game you may not need in your collection and at high prices it seems a bit unrealistic. Perhaps I am just an average middle class working stiff that makes a bit more money and can dream of lions??

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There are gov't fees that are added to trophy fees for "communal" purposes. Some companies haven't paid those "add-ons" for years and have somehow maintained their concessions... or so I understand it. In other words, the trophy fee is not the only charge for taking an animal, at least for the companies who don't have the juice to avoid participation in that program. I think the charge is just 15%, though.

Maybe the company is just telling you what an animal will cost, without breaking down the components???

Or maybe they use the "traffic will bear" system. Karibou Africa.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why you have to shoot other animals you don't want. I would have no problem shooting a lion and nothing else.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:

I would have no problem shooting a lion and nothing else.

What are you going to use for bait?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting for predators requires bait. Unlike plains game or elephant you have to kill some animals to draw in the cats. Bait animals cost a lot and there are only a limited number of them on license. Last year I doubled up on almost every animal I could on license and still had to go to town to buy a cow to add to my bait for lion.

Some ideas on what I am facing:

Tz Elephant 15 kg. $7500,
concession for same $11,500.00

Tz lion $4900
concession lion $6900.00

Tz leopard $3500.00
concession leopard $4950.00

The daily rate should cover all the expenses for game management, anti poaching, user fees etc.

The trophy fees reflect a $250 to $50000.00 premium over government fees and that is verging on the ridiculous in my opinion. The real problem is when they already have your money and change the game. Then there seems to be little accountability from either the company or the government.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:

What are you going to use for bait?

POACHERS?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That's how it works in Tanzania. There has always been a surcharge "for the expansion of the Tanzanian villages" on trophy fees.

It is now 30%. And that does not include concession fees which are calculated on a per diem basis and are supposed to cover anti-poaching and other government costs.

To someone who has hunted Tanzania before, that can't be a surprise. As to whether hunting there is worth the increased cost, well, we all have to make up our own minds on that. I think it is, but I may be in the minority.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
NOW you tell me you DON'T have to shoot bait on an elephant hunt!!!!

Wish I would have known....

I spent a fortune shooting 14 marulas, 6 mopanes, and 2 baobabs. Almost used up all my solids.

jumping

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:

That for me will take away the whole beauty of Lion hunting. Lion hunting starts with the first bait animal that is shot and the setting of baits itself require a lot of expertise from PH and fun to be a part of. Shooting the lion is a rewarding experience but it is also the end of show.

Ahmed Sultan