THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Cape Buffalo Hunt Anti-climatic???

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cape Buffalo Hunt Anti-climatic???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
Why not just do the hunt and then start the worrying if it doesn't "drop instantly" on the first shot.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey all this is like my third post and im still learning.
Ive posted before in reference to my upcoming zambia buf hunt and im very excited BUT im wondering if shooting the buf is going to be anti climatic??
Im getting all worked up for a thrill but i start to lose it thinking that i will drop it like a rock with a 458wm.
im thinking of using my bow to make it a little more challenging,or wearing a satin red puffy shirt to get it pissed off.
this is my first time to zambia and dont want to be disappointed.
my other hunts in africa were walk and stalk bow in S.A.
karoo desert long range shooting,eastern cape kudu walk and stalk rifle,and botswana plains game rifle and all were very exciting.
please tell me what to expect
i need a thrill.
jim
p.s.plse excuse the spelling

Posts: 10 | Location: Long Island N.Y. | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Me and my big mouth. It is anti-climactic.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One entry found for anticlimactic.

Main Entry: an�ti�cli�mac�tic
Pronunciation: -klI-'mak-tik, -kl&-
Variant(s): also an�ti�cli�mac�ti�cal /-ti-k&l/
Function: adjective
: of, relating to, or marked by anticlimax
- an�ti�cli�mac�ti�cal�ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Posts: 79 | Location: Newark, DE USA | Registered: 30 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
I have never met you but from reading your post I feel like you have been a life long friend. To save you the pain of the anti-climatic buff hunt send me in your place. I hope this helps. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
JJ..Remember it is the hunt and not the kill...But rather being prepared and making the shot...Listening and learning..Also getting close to shoot 35 yds...Then you will have time for only 2 shots..Or ten yards and you will only have time for one shot

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Don't forget, it's called "hunting", and there is no sure thing.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
1. Makin' a buff "drop instantly" ain't all that easy.
2. Even if the black blighter does go down at the shot, there ain't no guarantee he won't get back up, don'tcherknow.
3. As Major Jim allowed the last time we were in Moz, "Now I know what it means to be scared spitless."
4. Havin' around 300 buff rumble by yer at about 30 yards makin' a sound like a freight train on steroids tends to concentrate th' mind mos' wonderful.
5. Somehow I doubt it will be anticlimactic

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
JimJet04,

Welcome to the forum.

You could always book a hunt with Mark Sullivan. He will make sure the wounded buffalo charges, and he will oblige you by shooting it for you.

Or, you can just book a hunt with any reputable PH, who, depending on the area you hunt, might guide you through the long grass, trying to get close to a herd of buffalo feeding there.

I can assure you you will get plenty of excitement when all hell breaks loose, and buffalo start whizzing by you a few feet away.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recipe for non anti climatic Buffalo hunts:

1. Hunt the High Grass get in close

2.Shoot him in the foot or gut then jump up and down and holler at him, duck the stampede and shoot him between the eyes, that should work..

3. Don't forget your rosary.

4. Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude-When you set off on foot after buffalo, it all changes.
Trust me.
Edward

Posts: 52 | Location: Monroe, Louisiana | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How could anyone hunting buffalo in Zambia be dissappointed?
Go on and enjoy your hunt and just let things happen as they may.A safari is much more than just stalking and squeezing the trigger on game.Your first safari will be something you remember the rest of your life.
Bravo

Posts: 109 | Location: New Mexico,USA | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
JimJet04:

I haven't killed nearly as many buffalo as some on this forum, but I've yet to see one just fall over (mine or anyone elses). A CNS hit will accomplish immediate immobility, but you're mighty close to dancing with the sucker if you miss the spine and put the bullet high in the lung(s) or miss the neck bones.

I totally agree that you will be lucky to hunt them in thick cover, because, even if unwounded, they rumble, smell, thunder and get your heart pumping like not much else in the world.

I love it so much that I'm already booked for buffalo hunts both this summer and next!

No reason to wear a red fru-fru! Odds are that you'll exercise you sphinter muscle with some tightening exercises anyway!

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Quote:

in reference to my upcoming zambia buf hunt and im very excited BUT im wondering if shooting the buf is going to be anti climatic??

Like any hunting, the buffalo hunt can be anti-climatic, but if you hunt dangerous game the way it is supposed to be hunted, it, most likely, will be anything but!

Get in close, and personal, and you will never forget the experience! Anyone can snipe buffalo at 100 yds plus, but the simple fact is, dangerous game is, simply,not dangerous at 100 yds or more! If you get into the long grass with Mbogo, you will get all the brassy taste, in your mouth, you can handle, I assure you!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JimJet, I suggest if you need a thrill in your life, you should try walking down third street in Harrisburg at 2:00 AM and shouting something really racist, like " long live the Ku Klux Klan." Any major city will do.

Let me give you the benefit of my short but exciting experience. Being charged by a wounded Cape buffalo is really exciting. My PH told me that some of his hunters drop to the ground and curl up in a foetal ball when something like that happens. Others try to run away. One stood behind him while he shot the beast. If I had done the above, I would be dead now.

Here is hoping that your buffalo drops on the spot and doesn't get up. Here is hoping that your buffalo hunt is really anticlimactic. It won't be, but I hope it is for your sake. Like the record said, "Nothing can go wrong---go wrong---go wrong---go wrong---."

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, if I hunt another Buff it will be with bow.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on going for buff in 2005, but have not chosen an outfit yet. Any recommendations welcome. I do know that I will be talking a muzzleloader with me. Most likely a Savage smokeless muzzleloader with a 300 grain Hornady going about 2300 FPS. That gives me only one shot, and I've got to be close. Seeing bright lights may well turn out to be the least interesting part of the trip. I'm just hoping I make it home in one piece!

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I just read over your other post concerning hunting hyena. I see that you will be in Zambia in May. A May buffalo hunt will give you all the excitement you want. The grass will be very tall and as mentioned before you probably will smell and hear the buffalo before you see them. When you see them it probably will only be an ear moving, a tail swish or a black something you can't identify . I promise you the adrenaline will be running full tilt.

Relax and enjoy planning your safari. You'll get all the excitement you want without trying to think of things to make it more difficult. This is not going to be a Slam-Dunk unless you are very lucky.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to go on another anti-climatic buffalo hunt. In fact if I do and the Buffalo drops at one shot---I'll never let you hear the end of it.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I plan on relieving myself every time I get out of the hunting vehicle so I don't wet my pants when slam dunking my buff.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Gee, what's the big deal? I saw a show yesterday on TV where the guide was driving thru a herd of buffalo and they were calmly milling around the open Landcruiser just like the cows in the "Got Milk?" commercials. It was just like the guy who went out in the Alaskan bush to live with the cute brown bears... oh, that's right, he got eaten.
Bring the biggest gun you can stand the recoil of. Nothing is quite as exciting as shooting something and having it look back at you like it's pissed off.

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a 45/70!

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
use a .45-70.....roflmao

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, If you pay my airfair and observer rate to hunt with you, I will gladly gut shoot your buff for you. And you can take your choice of rifles I do it with, 257 Robert's, 6.5x55, 7x57, or 338/06. Then I will follow behind you and film your anti-Climatic buff hunt. Please can I go with you

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey everyone
i am smileing ear to ear and LOL (p.s.im new to this forum computer stuff)
i am absolutly thrilled by all the replies i wasnt expecting.
yes yes yes i am getting the feeling and thrill of walking up on a buff at 30yards.i can almost smell it now.
thanks for giving me the slap upside the head i needed.
i walked up on a lone buff with baby in 2000,i didnt know how to react BUT my ph had a look of horror on his face ive never seen before,while back tracking out my ph told me to climb the nearest tree if she turned,the problem-- the nearest tree was maybe 7ft tall.
not quite good enough.
anyway im truly psyched after reading all the replies
forget the disappointment i cant wait to get there.
thanks to all
jim

Posts: 10 | Location: Long Island N.Y. | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First morning, first time into the long grass, I could hear them grunting snorting and stomping very close. I couldn't see more than about 6 feet into the grass. We went about 100-150 yards into the thick before it opened up into a ribbon of short grass about 30 yards wide that meandered out of site. Buffalo were crossing about 40-50 yards away. I got on the sticks. The PH said when I tell you it's a good one you be ready and whack him in the boiler room. Four or five buffalo went by as he said, too small....., cow....., too small......,etc. Then it was quiet for a minute or two. The PH said lets move up, quickly now. We closed to about 20 yards of where they were crossing. I got back on the sticks, ready for the big one. A cow with new calf came out and realized we definitely were not a pile of grass. She locked eyeballs with me and froze. The PH whispers over my shoulder, "Don't move a muscle" I am not looking through the scope but I am wondering ... Hmm......I don't have a tag for a cow...... Don't want to make an orphan of that little one......Sometimes there is a bluff charge with some of these bad boys......So Bwana, where along the proceedings of this cow deciding to move your way rapidly, do you decide "to hell with the game laws of Tanzania. The old gal has got to die!!!." This mental discussion went on for several eternities(probably not more than 5 minutes). Five minutes is a long time to sit eyeball to eyball with a very nervous 1500 pound mom at 20 yards. She then just turned and walked off into the long grass like an old Holstien, little one in tow. They winded us a minute later and they were all gone with a huge rumble and roar of hooves. If your hunt is in May, I expect you to have buffalo with lots of cover. You should have an exciting time. Good hunting, D Hunter

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The journey is the destination. Enjoy every minute of it!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Canuck said the journey is the true destination. One of the great things about hunting is that it is all an unknown. I have had hunts where the kill was anti-climatic and others that were extremely memorable where I never shot a thing. If you go with the attitude that you are going to savor every moment you will have a great time. I can't wait to hear your stories.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
real cool story
i cant wait to get there.
i was told the grass will be high and it will be a thrill.
cant wait
jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been on a few anti climatic hunts for about all dangerous game, a good clean kill and they hit the dirt..but I enjoyed the hunt, and I enjoy a clean one shot kill...

I have also stood the charge and thats always a great experience and frankly I relish in it, but its very seldom the case, and thats probably the upside, as the law of averages would get all Buffalo hunters sooner or later were it the case....

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote