New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 or Stainless M70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm on the verge of buyinig one of these in 375 HH. I know this comparison is made frquently here, I just can't find the thread. I don't want to do much (any) after market mods if I can help it. Can anyone summarize the current status of these 2 guns as to their pros and cons?
Sorry to beat a dead horse but I do appreciate it.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I debated over the same question and finished up buying the cz 550 mainly as most of my other rifles are cz...It shoots very well....I have a 1-4 leupold on it and am shooting 300 gr Hornady Round Nose bullets in it. What I do like is that it holds six shots. I love the cz's for what it's worth. I also like the integral mounting systym....and I like the hogs back no drama's for me, I also have a hogs back cz 550 in .458 lott (was a .458 win mag), get it bedded and give it a go before you can it.

Still I would also like a m70 stainelss .375 as my "wet weather" big bore

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both are great rifles. I used a .375 H& H CZ 550 when I went to RSA this year. I love the rifle, accurate, reliable, and weighs enough to make the rifle easy on the shoulder. I like the safety because it's "right there". As for the trigger, no complaints, adjustable and unlike many, I like the single set capability.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kbobb,

This is my take and am no expert.

I have one of each, 550 in a 416 and SS 70 I'm building a 404 out of. I like them both, feel they are good guns for the money.

I look at it like this, if you want an all around gun to plains game hunt, wet hunt in Alaska, elk/large game hunt where weight is factor and a one time DG hunt a SS mdl 70 may make more sense in my dumb cowboy logic.

If you want a more traditional African type gun the CZ may be more suited out of the box, holds more down, 5 or 6 375H&H down, sights and etc are not bad either. Trigger can be worked on and slicked up. Doesnt take much to get one spiffed up and best I can tell they feed good out of the box. It doesnt have a 3 pos saftey but its not a big deal to have one fitted.

Not that your going to be doing a custom, but a mdl 70 with custom drop box and NECG sights etc makes are really nice gun, wins the cool factor award and may be a nicer gun in the long run in my opinion.

The areas where I feel the mdl 70 has over the CZ is the trigger and the saftey. If you strip a CZ 550 trigger down to bed or whatever, it will make your eyes roll back in your head when you see the number of pins springs and parts. Mdl 70 is very simple, I also like the 3 pos saftey. I have a 3 pos safety on my CZ but but its not a mdl 70 style, but wish it was.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote