THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Best Conservancy for Plains Game Hunt - Save or Bubye?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Conservancy for Plains Game Hunt - Save or Bubye?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm hoping to take my 16 year old son on a plains game hunt this year. After much research, seems like one of the conservancies in Zimbabwe would offer a great mix of game and the opportunity to get an incredible African experience (almost as much of a goal as the hunt). Have corresponded with several friendly AR members and been pointed to both the Bubye and the Save. Would really appreciate feedback on the differences and why one might be a better choice for my son and me. Thanks very much.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
off-course Bubye would be better choice then save as I was on elephant hunt May-13 in save but due to illegal mining and poachers are all around could not make it, finally did my hunt in BietBridge with Graeme Jones.

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
I think both are excellent. The Bubye offers slightly more species than the SAVE, as in Oryx, Tsessebe. Not all areas within the SAVE have a high concentration of plainsgame. Some of the properties are much better than others. Best would be to narrow it down to which PH you wanted to hunt with!
Most properties in SAVE have had issues with permits, so check with the operator first.

Nuanetsi would also be a good option.

Have fun doing the research.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IH:
off-course Bubye would be better choice then save as I was on elephant hunt May-13 in save but due to illegal mining and poachers are all around could not make it, finally did my hunt in BietBridge with Graeme Jones.

Illegal mining and poachers all around? Which property and company were you going with in SAVE? Don't forget there are various properties within the SAVE so to generalize wouldn't be fair.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming SVC can legally hunt this upcoming season, they have some fantastic properties and reputable outfitters for sure. BVC will not dissapoint any plainsgame hunter, it's an awesome area.

BUT - situated between these two fine areas is Nuanetsi, which also has some remarkable plainsgame hunting. Marketed by Safari Classics (Chifuti Safaris)

Good luck

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10Gen,
I did a plains game hunt with Mokore Safaris in Sept. Loads of animals. Beautiful camp, great folks. They also do hunts in Mozambique that may be considered. I don't think you could go wrong with the Duckworths!

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillsBillsBills:
10Gen,
I did a plains game hunt with Mokore Safaris in Sept. Loads of animals. Beautiful camp, great folks. They also do hunts in Mozambique that may be considered. I don't think you could go wrong with the Duckworths!

Bill

Bill..which area in Save did you hunt..don't believe Mokore got their Save quota?

Great choice..Mokore.

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:
Originally posted by BillsBillsBills:
10Gen,

Bill

Bill..which area in Save did you hunt..don't believe Mokore got their Save quota?

Great choice..Mokore.

They got the quota for Mknondo, which is the property adjacent to Mokore. They could still use their camp on the Mokore

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll "3rd" the motion for the Duckworths Mokore Camp in the SAve. Hunted there last August, loads of plainsgameand you & your son will see elephants, lions, we even saw a daytime leopard. I hunted the Bubye the year before. Our camp, Chamalaya, had a LOT of lion activity,so didn't see any warthog or smaller antelopes, lots of zebra & blue wildebeest. Had to get special in-between-other-booked-hunts permission to hunt another farther camp for waterbuck. Do your homework re: what species are prevelant in your particular camp. Happy Hunting!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Mokore with the Duckworths in 2011 for plainsgame and had a fantastic time! We hunted both the Mokore concession and Mknondo (home to a very agressive herd of elepahnts.) I hope to take my son on his first African hunt in 2016 and if the Duckworths have any hunting in the Save, we will most definitely go there. In addition to lots of plainsgame, there are also all of the Big Five. While I did not actually see leopards, we did see lots of sign. Did see many elephant, buffalo, black rhino and a couple lions.
The Duckworths are great people and their Mokore camp is wonderful.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The Bubye is a wonderful place. I am booked again for there this year. Plenty of plains game for sure. Lions everywhere, leopard, buffalo, elephant, and rhino too. You couldn't go wrong with the Bubye at all. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Thierry is correct, that is where we were, right next door to Mokore. Lots of game there. We too saw ele, rhino(B&W) lion, buff. Did not see Mr Spots but heard them at night.

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
The Save has some excellent plains game hunting.Humani arguably has the most diverse habitat.Having the makore,Turgwe and save rivers as well as the granite kopjies,africas largest palm forests, and save flats.

The only species we do not have good numbers of are sable.Otherwise humani is a plains game haven.The beauty of hunting here is you are likely to bump into the big 5.

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Labat, I am totally agreed with you for generalized comments, but, wanted to pass comments the experience I had at one place, so it always better to CARE! Cheers!

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IH:
Labat, I am totally agreed with you for generalized comments, but, wanted to pass comments the experience I had at one place, so it always better to CARE! Cheers!

IH, I agree that you must share your experience. I was just interested to know which area you were in? I know Graeme Jones used to hunt on Msaize with Brooklands in SAVE. Msaize are neighbors to where I hunt and I've never heard or seen problems of mining there. They operated on Msaize as usual in 2013, so was just curios.......that's all. Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
quote:
Originally posted by IH:

IH, I agree that you must share your experience. I was just interested to know which area you were in? I know Graeme Jones used to hunt on Msaize with Brooklands in SAVE. Msaize are neighbors to where I hunt and I've never heard or seen problems of mining there. They operated on Msaize as usual in 2013, so was just curios.......that's all. Cheers

If you look at Brooklands (Msaize)website..looks like they had a great year according to their 2013 photo gallery...Great buffalo, good ele,lion and PG as well.

Thierry..do you know who is going to end up with the coveted SAVE lion permits for 14'?

Posts: 1924 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the question is correct. I agree that you decide area first then outfitter/PH second. But on the other side of the coin, many here and elsewhere are married to a PH and enjoy hunting over and over with the same guy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my 17 yr son to BVC June 2013 on a second trip and he absolutely loved it. All regular PG are available and great also for buff, lion, and leopard. See lots of rhino and some elephant while out hunting.

One of Us
Picture of megsdad
posted Hide Post
BVC with John Sharp in 2008. My son and I had the plains game hunt of a lifetime.

Posts: 104 | Location: so oregon | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I can't go wrong with either area - more about finding the right PH.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Martin Nel and Shaun Buffee would be my first two choices, followed by John Sharp and Peter Fick. All good PHs. Others hunt the Bubye as well, but these are the four main PHs at the Bubye.

One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Thierry..do you know who is going to end up with the coveted SAVE lion permits for 14'?[/QUOTE]

I can't tell you for sure who will end up with the lion. The buffalo and elephant quota seem to be as it always is.
Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
Thierry..do you know who is going to end up with the coveted SAVE lion permits for 14'?

I can't tell you for sure who will end up with the lion. The buffalo and elephant quota seem to be as it always is.
Cheers[/QUOTE]

Thanks Thierry..best of luck in 2014.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SVC is a really good area for either the big 4 or plainsgame, something that's unique to the Save is the diversity of terrain which is slightly different to the other conservancies ,with this diversity of habitat comes a great diversity of wildlife. Both Mokore and Umkondo have been issued quotas this year and expect a season better than ever. Like Theirry says ,some areas are better than others in the SVC so follow references on both areas and PH recommendations. Good luck.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mokore has been allocated 1 of the 2 lion permits for 2014 but is spoken for. Not sure on who the second permit was allocated too. SVC have applied for an increase in the lion and leopard quotas, surveys by D Joubert are to be submitted to support the request so hopefully some more tags will be made available. Will be a great year for cats in the SVC.

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Duckworth:
Mokore has been allocated 1 of the 2 lion permits for 2014 but is spoken for. Not sure on who the second permit was allocated too. SVC have applied for an increase in the lion and leopard quotas, surveys by D Joubert are to be submitted to support the request so hopefully some more tags will be made available. Will be a great year for cats in the SVC.

Neil..I think I speak for all of the AR members who have been following this issue in congratulating you and all of the SAVE operators in achieving this outcome.

Now that you are on a roll maybe this will be the year you clear all of the hurdles for buffalo reintroduction in C9..keep us posted.

All the best.

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Guy,

Please check the PM It's very important.

Regards,

Hamdeni

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is Shangaan Hunters still operating in the Save?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Can somebody please call Guy Whittall and tell him somebody has hacked his email.

Hamdeni
quote:
Originally posted by hamdeni:
Guy,

Regards,

Hamdeni

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:
Is Shangaan Hunters still operating in the Save?

They are - got the quota for 2014 alright

Posts: 2032 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. They are a great outfit!

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking my wife and granddaughter to the BVC in August, hunting with John Sharp. One thing we are going to do is tag along on some of the lion research being done by Paul Trethowan. Bill C did this with his son and wrote about it in his last report. I've also hunted with the Duckworth's in Sengwa and have done a hunt with the Whittall's. You can't go wrong with any of them. You will have a FANTASTIC time with memories that last a life time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 2nd both John Sharp in the Bubye (Paul T., the PhD candidate studying lions, is a great guy, really informative. He came along on my night hunt for hyenas) & the Duckworths @Mokore in the Save. Great plainsgame hunting at both conservancies ,you may see any/all of the Big 5 while hunting.

posted Hide Post
Both have big numbers of plains animals. Both have very good outfitters but SAVE has more options as far as outfitters go and is more diverse. Bubi can become dull as far as terrain goes after a while.
I highly recommend both and no doubt they are the best areas for plains game in Zim, but comparing apples with apples SAVE is the narrow winner for me. Wink

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with the save valley.
I'm booked with Mokore Safaris for 10 days of plains game hunting. I'll be flying in from 21st of May,start hunting from 22nd of May to 31st of May and drive back to Harare on 1st of June.

Hamdeni

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beleive the Save has the most diversity in terrain out of the 3 conservancies ,with this comes a wide variety of good plainsgame. All 3 offer excellent hunting of all species .Important to do your homework on the individual operations within each, like Theirry stated some areas/camps are better than others. Another thing to pay attention to are costs which vary from place to place.
Mokore and Umkondo have both been issued with quotas for 2014. We also offer a great selection of plainsgame in Coutada 9 in Mozambique should you want an even wider selection to choose from.

One of Us
Picture of Guy Whittall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hamdeni:
Guy,

Regards,

Hamdeni

Posts: 196 | Location: Zimbabwe and Mozambique | Registered: 04 January 2013Reply With Quote