Find
Notify
Tools

Light Rifle (Open Territory)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Folks,

This goes out to those of you with experience hunting open African Territory (Masailand, Namibia, Kalahari). What would you choose for a light rifle? 270, 7mm mag, 338? I know most of you will answer 300 mag! But I can't see buying one when I have the other three. Any recommendations? Would be used for impala, gazelles, warthog, etc. Thanks, Hugh

Posts: 54 | Location: GA | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

You already have your rifle. Keep the .338, sell the other two and get a big bore to use when you go back for Buffalo and the rest.

Just use premium bullets and the .338 will be fine for any of the plains game, and on the small ones [Springbok] they will punch right through like solids.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hugh,
For those species....the one you shoot best. If there are other bigger species in your list, I will take the 338 wm just in case something happends to your bigbore...
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

I've hunted the Kalahari and Masailand. I've used my 270, 300 and a 338 as a light rifle in one or both of those areas. The 338 is "made for Africa" as it is versatile enough to handle all the plains game, and can tackle some dangerous game in a pinch.

Off the rifles you mentioned, I'd say take the 338 if you can shoot it as well (off the sticks at 200 - 300 yds) as your 7 mag. If not, take your 7 mag and use heavy bullets.

Your 270 would be perfect for most plainsgame, but I'd prefer something heavier if wildebeast, oryx, zebra, eland, etc are on your trophy list.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Personally, my choice is the .300 Winchester, but if I owned your rifles, I'd go with the 7mm Rem. Mag. A good 160 or 175 gr. bullet at 7mm Remington velocities isn't exactly going to bounce off of anything you'll hunt in any of those places, and you'll appreciate the flat trajectory and light recoil. It seems that these days the 7mm Remington Magnum has sort of been lost in the shuffle, but it should never be underestimated or overlooked.

I've hunted elk for a lot of years, and I've always considered the 7mm Rem. Mag. to be a superb elk cartridge for 'most any elk hunting situation. A good elk cartridge makes for a perfect African plainsgame cartridge........

AD

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Would be used for impala, gazelles, warthog, etc.

7 mm.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No question 338. Maybe not legally but will do anything.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are just hunting plainsgame, I'll go w/ Allen on this & take your 7mag w/ 160-175gr premiums.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use whichever one you like the best. I'd take the 338 though because that is what I like.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the .270 with 150 grain bullets. My wife and I have used one for all sorts of plains game on the last 4 African hunts. Bullet placement is the foremost concern, whatever caliber you choose.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Depend upon the kind of country.
Open country 7RM because of flatter trajectory, light gun, good penetration, but take care of shot placement. If dense country, 338 without hesitation. Good Luck!

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

7mm mag, shots flat and almost no recoil. I would go for 160 grain nosler partition.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot placement is the critical concern. The rifle you shoot accurately and comfortably. Non-vital hits on any African game can and will lead to a long day. We have all seen even the small antelope take numerous hits and still keep going. But, one well placed shot in the heart/lungs, liver or, if possible, spine, neck or even head on some non-trophy game will end things very quickly.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote