THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    R.i.P. PH-Instructor Ian Goss, 01-2018

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.i.P. PH-Instructor Ian Goss, 01-2018
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The famous PH-instructor Ian Goss passed today at the age of 78.

He was famous for decades with his PH-huntig-academy, with his hunting farm in SA (big land, ethical correct), with his hunts in africa (lions in the 1970thys), pp.

He was also a former policeman, a martial arts black belt und a great man, hunter, storyteller und instructor.

I had the luck to join his class in 2011, it was a great expirience.

I had written an big artical about him and did some great pictures,

R.i.P. Ian.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ian was my friend & mentor for something like 3 decades & he was absolutely one of the best people I ever had the privilege of knowing.

I'll miss him terribly.

The Thousandth Man

0NE man in a thousand, Solomon says.
Will stick more close than a brother.
And it's worth while seeking him half your days
If you find him before the other.

Nine hundred and ninety-nine depend
On what the world sees in you,
But the Thousandth Man will stand your friend
With the whole round world agin you.

'Tis neither promise nor prayer nor show
Will settle the finding for 'ee.
Nine hundred and ninety-nine of 'em go
By your looks, or your acts, or your glory.

But if he finds you and you find him,
The rest of the world don't matter;
For the Thousandth Man will sink or swim
With you in any water.

You can use his purse with no more talk
Than he uses yours for his spendings,
And laugh and meet in your daily walk
As though there had been no lendings.

Nine hundred and ninety-nine of 'em call
For silver and gold in their dealings;
But the Thousandth Man he's worth 'em all
Because you can show him your feelings.

His wrong's your wrong, and his right's your right,
In season or out of season.
Stand up and back it in all men's sight
With that for your only reason!

Nine hundred and ninety-nine can't bide
The shame or mocking or laughter,
But the Thousandth Man will stand by your side
To the gallows-foot - and after!

Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice poem Steve... tu2

Posts: 3973 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Always sad to hear of one of ours passing!

Condolences to his family and friends.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
Very nice poem Steve... tu2

Ian & I both loved the Kipling poems (especially that one) & at the end of my PH course with him all those years ago, he sat me down & made me recite that poem before he told me I'd passed. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A wonderful way to memorialize a great man.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
A wonderful way to memorialize a great man.

Oh yes.
I passed his academy in 2011 and it was an great, an lifetime expirience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Ian Goss, some years ago.

posted Hide Post
My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I have done a PH-course with him and learned a lot from him. I remembered that he always said that a PH should attach himself to his client, a lesson that helped me a lot, not only in the hunting fields but also in life.

I will miss him very much
One of the Giants have gone to sleep!

Hanco (Jacobus) Wright

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A much respected man in the industry in South Africa and a mentor to many young PH's

The SA industry will miss him

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Another highly respected individual and PH on their way to the happy hunting grounds.

Steve that was a great piece of poetry and a wonderful tribute to a legend of our industry.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Ian G. in 2011 demonatrated an perfect "aimed shoot".

One of Us
posted Hide Post

His academy in KZN / SA for many years...

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Steve, I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a great and irreplaceable friend.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16623 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
For those of us who are unable to attend the funeral service of the late & great Ian Goss Ian Goss it will be live streamed on the Goss Estates Hunting Safaris Facebook page from 10am South Africa time.

Damn but I'm going to miss him!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune of meeting and getting to know Ian for the month of Oct 2011. Like a few posters here, I had the opportunity to attend his PH Academy for my 51st birthday. I knew going in that I couldn’t have a PH license because I wasn’t a “citizen” but wanted to attend for the challenge and to gain some more knowledge. He did have one condition, I arrive a week early to spend a few days stalking with him so he could assess my skills and knowledge. After the course was complete, I spent a few more days hunting on his property with his son in law, Heath Lawrence.

My first face-to-face meeting was when he picked me up at the B&B in Port Elisabeth that I’d flown into the day before. We shook hands and introduced ourselves and his very next expression was, “so, you want to be a PH?” Those in the know will understand that – LOL. During the several hour drive to the farm we chatted about lots of things and made a fuel and lunch stop and arrived mid afternoon where I met his very gracious ex-wife Carol.

Next morning we were out on the property (no firearms) and we were “hunting”. He was testing me on track and spoor identification of the various species on the property. We did a few “stalks” and in for lunch and back out for the afternoon for the first few days and then he let me wonder the property on my own (no firearm – just camera) until class started.

Every evening after dinner, I remember sitting with him in the main lodge having a couple of drinks. He had a wall full of pretty impressive animals he’d taken over the years. I’d ask him, “Ian, tell me the story behind that _________”. His eyes would light up and you could see him going back in his mind to the hunt and he’d tell the story in all great detail.

He said he had spent a good bit of time in Texas over the previous 30 years and had helped the Texas Exotic Game Association get up and running. Said he love the “States” and especially Texas. He also talked about being one of the founding members of PHASA and serving several terms as its President.

The first day of class, he passed out the course syllabus and the first day’s set of handouts. One of the papers contained two tables. One table was the SCI record book minimum’s for the various African game species and the same for Boone & Crocket. We were expected to memorize both for the final exam that would be administered by the KZN Game Department.

Formal “class” started at 0700 and we always had a “pop quiz” and then some lecture for and hour, then break for breakfast at 0800 and back in the classroom until lunch. After lunch was back in the classroom for a couple of hours. After a few days, after lunch we’d pair up and be taken out onto one of the properties and dropped off. One student would be the “PH” and the other the “client”. You’d have to act like you had just met for the first time and go through the “safety” briefing, and establish the “clients” priority list. The goal was for the PH to put the client into a shooting position on one of the species on his list and take a photo over the client’s shoulder. Next afternoon, you’d go out and with another student and the rolls would be reversed.

About 5-6 days in, the morning pop quiz was a copy of the SCI and B&C minimums and we had to fill in the lengths. I just put my name on the paper and turned it in blank. Ian looks up at me with a WTF look on his face. I tell him, I was not going to fill it out as hunting is NOT about trophy size, it’s about “the hunt” and the memories. He tells me to go back and fill it out anyway. I say, “Ian, in the past couple of weeks when we’ve been sitting around in the evening and I’ve asked out about the mounts on the wall, did I EVER ask you even ONCE what the size or length or weight of any of them were? I always asked you what the “story” was behind the hunt.” He paused for a long time, looked down, looked back up at me and said, “I know…… but, you still need to know it for the exam!”

Before I went, I knew one of the “practical” exams was one that simulated a charging animal. There would be three targets set up, one at 30 m, one at 20m and the final at 10m. The bull would be about a 2 inch square. You’d stand at the “ready line” with your rifle shouldered and chamber empty with 3 rds in the magazine. At “go” you’d have 20 seconds to put a round in the black in each target starting at 30m and ending at 10m. Because of this, I decided to take a Marlin 1895 lever gun in 450 Marlin wit a Leopold 1-4x20 scope. The first time Ian saw it, he was in love with it. Every time I set it down, he pick it up and “fondle it” was the only way to describe it.

On the day of the “charge” practical, they lined us up three at a time. The other students were all using bolt guns. On the “go”, I had all three shots done before the other guys had gotten their second shots chambered. Ian thought it was just a fluke and asked me to do it again. This time one of the guys got a video on his phone – 11 sec from “go” to “clear”. Ian was truly in love with the rifle. I had taken enough extra ammo so all the guys and Ian could put a few rounds through it. In some ways, I wish I would have left it with him.

Lots of other fun and games during the course but the morning of last day of the formal exam came. Sure enough, the SCI and B&C tables were on the exam. I left them black. As each of us finished, we gave our examiner the sheets and waited in the main lodge. After we all finished, we were called in one at a time and given our scores. He called me in and I fully expected to fail because I left the tables blank. I get in the room and Ian looks up and says, “I can’t believe it, you passed even though you got “zero” on the tables.” Most of the guys left right after the exams were given and completion certificates handed out (two guys didn’t pass).

The last week of the course, Ian had a serious back problem and was pretty much bed ridden except for being able to sit in the classroom. Walking any distance was excruciatingly painful for him. Because I had planned on staying a few days after class hunting, his son-in-law, Heath Lawrence, came in to be my PH. Had a great time with him and kept in touch with him until he took a job in Tanzania. If anyone happens to have Heath’s current email address I would really appreciate getting it.

Rest well and in peace Ian. Your life touched a lot of people and positively influenced many, many more. In the end, that is the greatest measure of a man. I am so fortunate to have met him and get to know him a little bit. It was an experience and time I truly treasure. He was a Professional Hunter.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to tell one more story.

On the property he used for the school, Ian had a big prized Brahma bull in a paddock. When we paired up students came back in the afternoon, depending on what part of the property we were dropped off on, we'd have to come through the paddock with the bull to get out the high fence gate. We always kept our distance from him and always kept a close eye on him. He never bothered us but he was always watching us too.

One afternoon near the end of the course, I said to the guy with me, "let's have a little fun with Ian" as we crossed the paddock. After we got out the gate, I fired two quick shots into the air and we ran/fast walked the last 1000 meters or so to the school compound being sure we would be sufficiently out of breath when we got there.

Ian was waiting at the door of the classroom and as we approached he asked "what happened". I told him, "Ian, I am sooooo sorry but, I had to kill your bull. He charged us as we crossed the paddock!" First his mouth dropped open then his face went beat red and he started a loud string of profanities, took away our birthdays, questioned our heritage and family lineage etc., until the other guy and I start laughing till we're crying. He realized he'd been had and started to laugh too and continued to call us names.

Posts: 573 | Location: Somewhere between here and there. | Registered: 28 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I was one of his students about 30 years ago & we remained in touch & friends until he died.......... Soon after I got my original PH licence with him I took some clients to his place for a 10 day hunt.

He showed the clients round the camp & as I was walking him back to his truck he turned to me & said "Oh by the way Stephans, you don't have a skinner because I want to see how good you are" lol.

I must have passed his test because he invited me back any time. Wink

About 2 decades later he came up to the Selous & stayed with us for 10 days & we still laughed about that first time I used his camp.

The world will be a lesser place without him.