New
Find
Notify
Tools

Letter of invitation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In regards to huntinglaws in Southafrica does it have to be a proffesionel outfitter who issue the Letter-of-invitation?. If one knows a farmer and he invites you for some hunting on his land wouldn´t a Letter-of-invitation made by the farmer be OK?. In general the Letter-of-invitation is needed when comming from another country to show evidens you actually have a legal purpose to enter SA with a rifle/gun.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jens

Foreigners are required to hunt with a registered PH, that is the reason for the letter.

But you may get away with it.

Regards,

Russ

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
In twelve trips, I have only been asked for a letter of invitation once. And that was at a road block while with my PH. Go figure.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAA policed asked us for a "letter of invitation " every time we applied for a gun permit.

Posts: 835 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In RSA what do you do with your rifle if you go play tourist after the hunt for a week or so?

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Russell:
In RSA what do you do with your rifle if you go play tourist after the hunt for a week or so?

I left mine - rifle and ammo - at Africa Sky. Went down to the cape - came back to jo-burg. They had someone meet me at airport and I checked into flight for Maun.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
Jens

The letter of invitation has to be issued by an outfitter with an outfitters license number. You'll be asked for this letter when applying for your import permit. But you're not likely to be asked for it again.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 405 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Gracy travel arrange storage for me in Jhb and that's worked fine. They also arrange letters for SAP license and this year they just asked me to bring proof of payment but that maybe because of previous license.

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
According to South African law , If you are a foreign hunter :

Your hunt has to be organized by a registered Outfitter in the province that you are hunting

You have to be guided by a registered PH in that province.

In order to acquire a temporary import permit for your fire arm/s you are required to have a letter of invitation from the Hunting outfitter in question.

The letter of invitation states:

The outfitters particulars
The hunters full particulars
Dates of the hunt
The area to be hunted
The rifle/s particulars that the hunter will be bringing

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks you all.

I sort of figured/knew out that to be invited for hunting in ZA is impossible unless it´s through an organized outfitted.

So if one has to go and accept the invitation it´s mere impossible to not to break the ZA hunting law like if I go without rifle and use a bow or borrow a rifle instead. The farmer I know does know a pH who will `vouch` so no problem. I just wondered if it was possible without a third party(pH)involved.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote