THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Practical diff - 7-'08 & 7mm WSM on Plains Game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practical diff - 7-'08 & 7mm WSM on Plains Game
 Login/Join

posted
What is the practical difference of using a 7mm-'08 versus a 7mm WSM? The 7mm-'08 shoots a 160gr bullets about 250 fps slower. Ballistics are about 20% less energy at 300 yards.

For example:
caliber, 300 yd velocity, 300 yd energy, drop in inches from 200 yd zero.
7mm WSM,2456,2142,-6
7mm-'08,2232,1769,-8

My question is does it matter. I am very comfortable ranging and using comeups out to 400 yards (and I don't have the confidence to shoot game at distances > 400 yds).

So the question is: Why would I choose the 7mm WSM? Will it really matter? Sure its faster, flatter and more powerful. But it recoils more and uses more powder. Will I go to Africa to shoot 250 pound and under game with a 7mm-'08 and regret that I didn't use take a 7mm WSM instead?

BTW, I do like the short actions capability of these 2 cartridges & really don't want a long action unless its necessary.
Thanks

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Howard,
I won't restart the long range wars... but i will privde some comments..

in general, your PH will not desire you to make first shots at long range, for several reasons. some of them being, in no particular order, judging the quality of the beast, assuring a good hit, "what's behind" the beast, both people, animals and assets, and that it's far more "sporting" to sneak up on the animal, in africa at least.

so, your shots at game, in africa, at longer range would probably be on wounded/distribed game. The animal will be on the run, pumped full of andrenaline, and leaving the vacinity.

You asked a specific question, that I will have to answer outside of what you asked.

if you are bound and determined to shoot 160s, then a magnum or a 280 are in order, as these high SD bullet should be driven at speed.

if you are open to 130-140, the barnes X bullet, driven at 2850, will deliver everything you could need from either bullet.

My self, today, right this minute, I would take the 7 wsm between the two.. ask me tomorrow, and it's GOING to be, "well, 7's are nice, but my 376 steyr is my plains game gun'

hope this helps, and "why"

jeffe

Posts: 38497 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Howard, I'd only take a 7mmWSM if I were to shoot past 400yds. The 708 has enough energy at 400yds. 1100 to over 1500ftlbs. depending on your load. Are you using factory or hand loads? Hornady makes a nice light magnum load for the 708 with the 139SST that comes out at 3000fps. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

As you note, there is no difference. Other than 75 yards of extra range for the WSM. You'll usually have little or no time for come-ups, etc in the hunting fields there. And most PHs will not allow shooting past 300 yads or so, unless your markmanship has been proven to them and it is an open shot.

Take whichever rifle you will get more enjoyment from on the hunt. The ballistics of either are adequate.

rifleshooter.com

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, I wasn't clear. BTW, just trying to learn...don't care to offend anyone!

I have no intention of really shooting beyond 300 yards. (hell, I want to hunt and to me that means bragging about how close I could get!) My only experience (as of now I still have plenty of time for prep and practice before I can do the hunt) so far is at 410 yards from prone and while taking my time.

re jeffeosso? I appreciate your convictions. How will the 7mm WSM make a difference over the 7mm-'08? What am I missing?

Thanks again for your comments.
Howard

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Howard, Just to illustrate that all you need is a 708, my latest Rifleshooter mag. has an article where Craig Boddington took his 17yr old daughter and her friend on a safari with a Kimber model 84 chambered in 708, they took greater Kudu, gemsbok and zebra loaded with 150gr. Scirocco. Good article, read it. Done. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO there is no practical difference in the two in performance up to 300 yds, especially on animals under 300 lbs. It's like the difference in using a 30-06 or 300 Mag.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Howard, I'm not sure where you're getting your information on the 7-08 but the factory loads sure make me wonder about it.
If you look at factory ballistics
Remington 140 grain bullet at 300 yds is 2189/1490.
Federal 150 grain bullet at 300 yards is 2040/1390.
Those are the heaviest loads that they list
Hornady's 7-08 light magnum 139 grn at 300 yds is 2399/1515

You must be pushing a very hot handload to get that 2232/1769 number.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Howard, I'm not sure where you're getting your information on the 7-08 but the factory loads sure make me wonder about it.

You must be pushing a very hot handload to get that 2232/1769 number.

I was using the recommended "Hunting" load from the Sierra 50th edition reloading manual. The Bullet BC was 0.531 (Accubond) pushed at 2700fps (45.3gr of 760) to get 300yd velocity & energy of 2232 & 1769, respectively.
Howard