THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    E-mail extra An Important Warning About Usangu Safaris
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E-mail extra An Important Warning About Usangu Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Different MZEE. The MZEE who posted is a guy I know out of California. We are not friends and, quite frankly, don't even get along all that well. However, I do not think he is a shill for Usangu.

He and a client of mine go there on their own every year and have, indeed, shot many lions. I have nothing to do with Usangu or with the hunts they book. In fact, I lost the client to Usangu because he is pretty tight and they always gave him special late season, cash deals. I always wondered how long they could keep it up. I guess we know now.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Thanks for the response. I didn't think it would be the same person, but stranger things have happened.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for what has happened to USANGU also.
I had a decent hunt with them in 2003 overall it went well and I was planning on going with them again, but things went seriously sideways some time for the company in 2005.

It is always a tragedy to see people put their faith and hard earned money into a safari opperator and get BURNED !!! It sucks when everybody gets ripped off, no matter how much or how little money you have. HOWEVER....USANGU has ripped off several guys I know who have had to work and save for years to go on this one safari. That in an of itself is heartbreaking.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed. You guys have to read the latest report for Sept. 12 at that link. Unbelievable!

Also, from the Hunt Report at that link...

Attention DSC Members
Ethics Committee Finding on Usangu Safaris, Ltd.

The Dallas Safari Club Ethics Committee received written complaints from several DSC members against Usangu Safaris Ltd. during and after our 2007 convention.

After thorough review of the complaints, the Ethics Committee recommended to the DSC Board of Directors at their June 19, 2007 meeting that Usangu Safaris be prohibited from exhibiting at the 2008 DSC Convention and that DSC would not accept advertising or donations from Usangu Safaris.

The DSC Board of Directors unanimously approved this recommendation.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Sadly, more bad news about Usangu.

I have no dog in this fight, however, in the interest of fairness HERE is the reply from Zahir H. Mulla to the Hunting Report's postings.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zahir's reply is dated a bit before these latest reports and news from DSC. When you read Zahir, you will see that although he was gone for over a month, he blames his PH's and others (including the clients) for his own problems. He doesn't come across as the kind of guy you want to hunt with or work for. Nowhere does he apologize for what is happening...just more excuses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know it has been said before, but, regarding the increase in fees Zahir mentions...

does anyone else seem it outlandish for Zahir or whoever to charge each hunter a $15K premium on the 'concession fee' when the TZN govt raised the fee to 50K. Yup, a healthy increase but spread over a number of hunters, and I'm assuming these three weren't the only ones going to Masailand, someone is out to seriously gouge.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, did I get lucky! I just missed booking with those people but the company breakup and their insistence that I take two buffalo instead of the initially booked single animal sent me elswhere. I already commented, but after reading the additional posts, I'm just sitting here thanking my lucky stars that things worked out the way they did. I really feel for the guys who have saved for years to make the trip and then have bad things happen. I had to do the same, and would have come away broken hearted had I lost my opportunity.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beams
posted Hide Post
I personally sent two clients from Houston to hunt with Usangu in late July and August of this year. They were in camp when all of these "supposed" claims went down. First let me say they both shot lion and leopard and all the plains game they had gone for.
As MZEE has said unless you were there it is not appropriate to post conjecture. There were extra people in camp due to the other camp not being ready for clients. This is an admitted miscalculation by Usangu. However, plenty of food was available which required eating in shifts. At no time did they run out of food.
There were some logistical challenges when a local fuel supplier ran short and this lead to frustration of "all" the hunters. I do know first hand from my clients that a few of the more emotional clients in camp did make phone calls to complain about pooling money to buy food (eggs, etc). THERE IN FACT WAS FOOD IN CAMP. My two clients each lost a day of hunting due to the fuel situation.
In defense of MZEE, who is a personal friend of mine going on many years, he has been very successful with lions and other DG with Usangu. Him and Greg Rodriguez's client (whom I also know very well) have hunted together for the past five years. The reason they have done this is not special cash deals and discounts, but rather because of the abundance of DG and PG.
As for my clients, they are 100% on returning to Usangu if Usangu can survive some unfortunate circumstances and alot of "I heards".
In closing, Mr. Rodriguez does not get along with MZEE because in using MZEE's trailer(for free)during an Arizona bear hunt, Mr. Rodriguez decided to cook some chicken on a griddle but didn't feel like cleaning up after himself. MZEE cleaned up his mess and informed him he was not invited to hunt with him.
MZEE's hunting companion or Mr. Rodriguez's so called client has not been a client for a number of years due to a large discrepancy on an elephant hunt quote. In losing trust this individual books direct and I don't blame him after that.
CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Posts: 38 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You talk about supposed claims and conjecture but you want the world to know about frying chicken on an Arizona bear hunt in a free trailer which somehow relates to an elephant quota. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta,

I shouldn't even dignify most of Beams' response with an answer. It is total BS and any of the stuff that happened on our bear hunt 7 years ago was purely a result of very conflicting personalities between me, MZEE, and Beams.

Frankly, I do not know why Beams felt the need to attack me when all I posted was, although I do not get along with MZEE, he is not a liar. Even though he books for Usangu, Beams is not a liar, either. If he says he has happy clients, I am sure he does, although his take on my bear hunt happenings and client relationships is without basis in fact.

I will, however, deny categorically any BS claims about an elephant hunt gone wrong. The client is no longer a client, but still a friend. In fact, I spoke with him today about Usangu. He only left me because he got a better deal with Usangu than he could get with me and has hunted with them almost every year. Period.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg, you do not have to say any of this. I'm not a moderator and it's not my forum but I am interested in the subject and obviously Saeed, the owner of the forums is as well. Greg, you are a long term member of this board and known to many of us. No need to defend or explain something personal that is not related to this subject.

Beam, I suggest you take your personal problems offline. Go buy another frying pan or order KFC next time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears Beams books for Usanga. So I would take his statements with a grain of salt - or two.

This is much more than a bunch of "I heards". There are numerous FIRST HAND reports from hunters posted on The Hunting Report regarding recent hunts. They have posted their names on those reports. It appears from the comments they would be more than happy to discuss their experiences. More interesting, where are the positive reports in The Hunting Report concerning Usanga?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Greg, you do not have to say any of this. I'm not a moderator and it's not my forum but I am interested in the subject and obviously Saeed, the owner of the forums is as well. Greg, you are a long term member of this board and known to many of us. No need to defend or explain something personal that is not related to this subject.

Beam, I suggest you take your personal problems offline. Go buy another frying pan or order KFC next time.

Beams is giving his side of the story, and of course, he is welcome to do so.

However, his post has not changed my mind that I do not want to hunt with ANY company that gets itself into this sort of trouble.

Other questions were raised and never answered.

There was mention of the owner of Usangu being deported from the US, his bankers has foreclosed on his house, and other clients are claiming money back from him.

I have no idea whether the above is true or not. These are serious claims, and need to be clarified one way or another.

All the claims above could, of course, be untrue. But they do raise a very big question when the name Usangu comes into the equation.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I find intriguing is that too often, the success of a hunting safari is measured by the taking or not of a lion and leopard!! What does that have to do with whether there was fuel in camp, food shortages, overcrowding of hunting areas, etc??

Rather not take a lion and leopard but know you had the opportunity to hunt hard without any equipment fault or outfitter problems. thumb

And with all these supposed lions being taken by multiple clients out of the same camp/block, how long is that going to last? Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of beams
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta, Greg R, and Nr. Manion,

The reason for my post was to give you first hand information from a total of 6 indiduals I know personally who hunted with Usangu who had good hunts. I am not denying or trying to change anyones mind that some things did go wrong. There has been such a flood of reports condemning Usangu and appear to be isolated to a period of a few weeks. As a matter of fact the same time period as the six people I am referring to were there. I am sure you would agree there are two sides to every story. GregR you made it a little personnal yourself. In your original post there was absolutely no need to even mention you and MZEE don't get along. It was irrelavent. Yes I do book for Usangu as well as a number of other outfitters.
In closing I would be more than happy to continue this offline, which I think is more appropriate, or you can contact me in person at the Dallas Safari Club show. The booths have not been assigned yet but I will be in the "Pro Safaris Africa" booth.

Posts: 38 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beams, fair enough. It sounds like DSC is not allowing you to exhibit for Usangu. Is that correct?

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Perhaps you're right, but my intent was not to get personal and it fell far short of a personal attack. I think it is pretty compelling when a guy you don't get a long with vouches for you and I felt MZEE needed some support, as some posters thought he might be a shill for Usangu, rather than the happy client he is.

You overreacted and went too far and too personal in your response. Just because people don't like each other doesn't mean they can't respect each other's opinions or positions. Or, when all else fails, say nothing. It is far more professional.

Greg Rodriguez
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

One of Us
Picture of beams
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I do appreciate your supporting John. I am right. Both of us got a little personal.. I can live with your advice if you can as well.

Ray

One of Us
Picture of beams
posted Hide Post
Yukon Delta,
I never have exhibited with or for Usangu at any show. Zahir and his staff have always had their own exhibits at the various shows. The DSC has decided to not let Usangu exhibit this year. This in no way affects me as I represent a numbers of hunting outfitters.
I know Usangu through MZEE and a few others. They have always had successful and happy hunters who are loyal and repeat customers and that is why I have sent a total of 5 clients to them. All happy.
I have always exhibited with Norman Crooks from Zimbabwe. Come by and see us at Pro Safaris Africa. I look forward to seeing you in Dallas
Ray

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beams:
Yukon Delta,
I never have exhibited with or for Usangu at any show. Zahir and his staff have always had their own exhibits at the various shows. The DSC has decided to not let Usangu exhibit this year. This in no way affects me as I represent a numbers of hunting outfitters.
I know Usangu through MZEE and a few others. They have always had successful and happy hunters who are loyal and repeat customers and that is why I have sent a total of 5 clients to them. All happy.
I have always exhibited with Norman Crooks from Zimbabwe. Come by and see us at Pro Safaris Africa. I look forward to seeing you in Dallas
Ray

In one of the posts on the Hunt Report it was m,entioned that Zahir has been deported from the country, and the bank has foreclosed on his house.

Any truth to this?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Picture of Betsy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
The best part of Betsy's experience was a dung cake...nice! Can we see a photo of your poop cake?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. This is all inexcusable. So sorry to hear it.

Delicious right?

Posts: 3 | Location: Vail, AZ | Registered: 04 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least he has a Coke to wash it down.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the 38,800 guy. It is true. Jack Brittingham has a large investment in the TAWICO half of the former company and is partenerd (silent) with Hakim Mulla. The quota on Lion in Usangu concession is 5.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jeff. Thanks for coming here to post. You can confirm that Zahir has been deported, house seized, etc?

The lion quota is 5...so MZEE that posted earlier and his campmates took the entire quota over a 4 week period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Home was forclosed. I can give the address. I waas in the process wtih attorney Scott Mosely of Dallas to get a judgement against Zahir when Scott determined the bank had filed for foreclosure. Dr. Nguma of Dar Es Salaam is my Tanzanian attorney. Nothing will come of it though. The money is gone.Deportation was personal communication from Zahir himmself. Usangu Consession has 5 lion, Kimbi camp has 5. Sherdell O. Sherdell who PHs some for Zahir called me from Tan yesterday. We were friends before. We are to speak again in the next day or so. He will know how many lions have been killed. A little clue no buff, no lions. I didn't join this site to rail against Usangu and Zahir. I did feel I needed to comment on some of the inaccurate info. Hopefully nobody else will get burned. I highly doubt MZEE's claims.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's always good to have more experience come on board to these forums. Hopefully you stick around and post as you have time. Post some hunt reports when you get time...good or bad info can all be helpful.

Thanks for the further info as you were at ground zero so to speak.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yukon. This forum is great. Somone told me about it a while ago and I didn't pursue it. Just back from Zim and I was jonesing bad so here I am.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, post something about your time in Zim on another topic...a hunt report or something. I was in Zim in June and I really wish I was there again!

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
What a mess. Sounds like Zahir/Usangu could use the services of the infamous Doug Chester Esq.!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a birthday cake made of Elephant dung frosted and decorated by camp staff...

No sh**? OK, I know the way out Big Grin

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote