THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lessons learned from RSA firearms import fiasco.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lessons learned from RSA firearms import fiasco.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife and I arrived in Joburg on the morning of July First on the SAA flight from Atlanta, with three hours and forty minutes to make the flight to Polokwane. With a complete set of flawless paperwork (Thanks T.Carr) and two sets of copies, we got a good jump on exiting the shuttle bus from the plane and met the lovely Antonnette from Optima Services. Antonnette whisked us through immigration and we got to the Baggage area and SAP office before anyone else on our flight.

As we waited for my firearms to show up, the rest of the many (30 estimated) hunters started filing in. As the rifle cases began showing up the hunters would grab their case and line up for the SAP office. My tuffpak was nowhere in sight.

Eventually my rifle and shot gun showed up...

DEAD LAST !!!!

And that's where I wound up in the SAP line, dead friggin last.

Of the 30 odd folks in front off us, about ten had their act together. The other twenty were badly unprepared. Mostly lacking motivation letters, some lacked invitation letters and many had blank or partialy filled 520's. or filled out with blue pen Roll Eyes

To make a long sordid tale short.... we missed the flight to Polokwane and rescheduled to catch the evening flight which meant contacting the outfitter and putting them through the inconvenience of the much later pick up.

LESSONS LEARNED;

1. Don't forget to take your blood pressure medicine while still on the plane!

2. You are only as fast as your Baggage!!!

I'm not sure what to do about this. If you had a picture of your rifle case and slipped the secure baggage guy 50 Rand, I'm guessing that you might get your rifle quickly. BUT... this would set a bad precedent and would end up biting everyone in the ass in the future as they would come to expect it and possibly withold or delay without a bribe.

3. You are only as fast as the least prepared knuckleheads in the line in front of you!!!

The only thing that will help here... Is helping the dumb knucks out with their paperwork. If I would have had twenty copies of a motivation letter template and invitation letter template, with blank spaces for the guys to fill out, I just might have made my connecting flight.

4. Get in touch with your VIP Service well in advance and get the permit before you even leave. This is possible with Optima and I would have done this, except by the time Kathi and I discovered our miscommunication on this detail, it was too late.

5. The Optima service cost $105 for One person with firearms and One Person without. This was my first time in Africa and though expensive, I'm very glad I used them. Anntonnette rescheduled our flights, called our outfitter about the changes, and was most usefull then, and also on our return to Joburg for the flight back home. I will use Optima again in the future.

FWIW

Elmo

By the way, The Premier Lounge was $30 apiece for the wife and I. It wasn't really worth the money but it sure was a nice indulgence before the flight back to Atlanta. I'll probably do it again if I have enough time between flights.

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Thanks elmo

Essentially what elmo is telling us all is /

1) Get the paper work done 100% / that is all clear on PHASA website and has been there for many months now SO dont be tooooooooooooooooo damn hard on the SAA Police people @ JIA (-:

2) Repeat of 1) above

Of cource with the best WILL in the WORLD even with all the paper work done 100% you will still be stymied by others whom have cocked up their paper work in one way or another

Therefore, as I said many times before, the IDIOTS at JIA should (find out in advance) how many hunters with rifles will be on each SAA incoming flight and then detail enough staff to handle the load and create ONE LINE UP for all those GOOD citizens with CORRECT paper work completed in advance, and another two or three LINE UPS for all the slackers Mad

Keep taking the tablets for the blood pressure and remember often we are masters of our own destiny, except when we travel on airlines with rifles

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Help please,what is a motivation letter?

rlda07052

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Here is essentially what you need //

Instructions for Filling in SAP 520 Form

Black ink must be used to fill in the form.
The form must be left unsigned until the document is finalized in front of the police official issuing the actual permit.
Please note that not all sections of the form apply. Visitors bringing their own firearms in for hunting purposes should concentrate on filling in the following:

Section D - (temporary import or export permit)
Section E - 1 - 25.4
Section G
Section I - (Must fill in all details requested)
Section J - (remember do not sign until in front of police officer at firearm office)

Additional Requirements along with the SAP 520 are the following:

Identity and Flight Details
a. Passport
b. Return Airline Ticket
Other Supporting Documentation

a. Proof of Ownership

Firearm licenses, documentary proof, etc. For USA Citizens, Customs Declaration Form 4457 (officially stamped) is acceptable

b. Proof of Export
Documentary proof of export from the country of origin

c. Motivation Letter from Client

This is a letter from the client stating that he is temporarily importing the referred to firearm/s for the purpose of hunting, to include that the firearm/s are required as he will be hunting (list the species to be hunted), etc.

d. Invitation Letter from the Hunting Outfitter

This is supporting documentation from the Hunting Outfitter/company with whom the client will be hunting, to include full name of company, full contact details and address, dates and location where the client will be hunting and confirming that the applicant will be using the specific firearms as applied for.

e. Any Other Supporting Documents

Firearms will be physically inspected to ensure the serial number(s) match those of the licenses (proof of ownership) and the application form. Ammunition will also be inspected.

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Here is what I used for a Motivation Letter

YOUR NAME
ADDRESS
PHONE
EMAIL

DATE

Central Firearms Register
Private Bag X 811
Pretoria
South Africa

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please be informed that I, YOUR NAME, a United States citizen, USA Passport Number XXXXXXXXXX (expiry xx July, 200x), residing at YOUR ADDRESS, USA will be hunting with NAME OF SAFARI COMPANY, ADDRESS OF SAFARI COMPANY [PHONE AND FAX OF SAFARI COMPANY]. My wife, WIFE'S NAME, a United States citizen, USA Passport Number XXXXXXXXX (expiry xx July, 200x) will be accompanying me.

The safari will be conducted by NAME OF PH, PH'S PROFESSIONAL HUNTER LICENSE NUMBER, PHONE # OF PH. The safari will be conducted between [beginning date and ending date of safari] on [name of concession(s)].

I will be hunting the following; [list animals to be hunted]. In order to conduct this hunt I will be using the following firearms; [list firearms maker, action (bolt, etc.), model number, serial number, calibre]. I will require xx rounds of ammunition for the .375 H&H rifle and xx rounds of ammunition for the .416 Remington Magnum.

[USE THIS PARAGRAPH IF HUNTING IN RSA]

I will need a Temporary Import Firearms Permit for South Africa as I will be arriving Johannesburg on [date] via [add Airline name, flight number and arrival time]. I will be departing Johannesburg on [date] via [add Airline name, flight number and departure time].

[USE THIS PARAGRAPH IF OVERNIGHTING IN RSA BEFORE CONTINUING ON TO A DIFFERENT COUNTRY - IN TRANSIT PERMIT]

I will need a Temporary Import Firearms Permit for South Africa as I will be arriving Johannesburg on [date] via [add Airline name, flight number and arrival time] and staying overnight at [Afton Guest House, ADDRESS, PHONE, CONTACT PERSON]. I will be departing Johannesburg International Airport for [add location, Harare, Zimbabwe -- Windhoek, Namibia, etc.] on [add date, Airline name, flight number and departure time]. On my return from [add country, Zimbabwe -- Namibia, etc.] on [add date, Airline name, flight number, arrival time], I will be again staying overnight at Afton Guest House before my return flight to the US on [add date, Airline name, flight number and departure time].

If you need anything further, please contact me at the number listed above.

Regards,

Your Name

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
elmo,

The Premier Lounge is 130 Rand per person which is about US$20 per person. If one has enough time before your flight I think it is a good deal. They have free soft drinks, free mixed (alcoholic) drinks, free beer, free wine, free sandwiches, crisps, cheese and cookies. They have comfortable seating and a smoking lounge. Of course, it's not worth the money if one doesn't have much time before his flight or if one is not hungry or thirsty.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They need to do what we used to do in the Army when we were going through a process like this. Pre-screen everyone's paperwork before they get in line and let the people with the proper paperwork be the first in line.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Remember boys and girls, this is Africa your talking about!

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
The picture of your luggage is good idea (it's included in my Tips & Packing List).

While waiting to clear Customs in Jo'burg, Louie from Afton House met us. He had two airport security workers who had collected my bags, but one was missing. I gave him a copy of my picture of my luggage and the guys went and found the missing bag.

Buy some large, brightly colored luggage tags for all of your luggage. I also had put red duct tape on the handle of my Tuffpak.

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
It appears that the sticky wicket is that there are not sufficient staff on duty during peak arrival times.

Hire a couple of off-duty police officers to work the airport station during peak hours. Hire a greeter to direct incoming hunters to the correct line. Hunters with the proper paperwork go into the express line to be processed first, those that do not have the proper documentation go to the second line that does not move at all until all the hunters in the express line have been processed. Reconfigure the waiting area and office to allow more efficient operation.

Pay for all this by charging each applicant a $25 processing fee. More than a few hunters are now paying four times that amount to the various expediting services.

That is what is done here when a private entity such as a shopping mall, nightclub, church, or hospital desires police services above and beyond that provided by the local policing authority. They simply pay extra for extra service. PASHA should consider that the problem is taking food off of their table and fix it regardless of who is responsible.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:
It appears that the sticky wicket is that there are not sufficient staff on duty during peak arrival times.

Hire a couple of off-duty police officers to work the airport station during peak hours. Hire a greeter to direct incoming hunters to the correct line. Hunters with the proper paperwork go into the express line to be processed first, those that do not have the proper documentation go to the second line that does not move at all until all the hunters in the express line have been processed. Reconfigure the waiting area and office to allow more efficient operation.

Pay for all this by charging each applicant a $25 processing fee. More than a few hunters are now paying four times that amount to the various expediting services.

That is what is done here when a private entity such as a shopping mall, nightclub, church, or hospital desires police services above and beyond that provided by the local policing authority. They simply pay extra for extra service. PASHA should consider that the problem is taking food off of their table and fix it regardless of who is responsible.

Muletrain

Please let me stop you quickly as you have forgotten one important thing ///

You are in fact talking a lot of sense BUT you are dealing with Africa remember, they ( people in authority) over there DONT use a lot of common sense and LOGIC .... if you can change them you are a better man than me and the 100,000 others trying bawling

Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
ALF,
Please read the last sentence in my post. Although I truely feel your pain in dealing with the personal firearms ownership problems that you and your countrymen are now facing, it has no bearing on the topic of tourist hunting being hurt by the red tape at the airport. If the tourists spend their money elsewhere you will have less money to spend on your personal gun collection. Stop pointing fingers and fix the problem.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Balla Balla,
I am not going to try to change anything. I am going to continue to shop around for the most value for my vacation dollars. The RED TAPE AND BULL CRAP factor adds or detracts from the value of a hunt I am considering purchasing. I will buy the hunt tha thas the least hassle every time.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
The really simple solution to all of this is to arrange the trip with somebody who does this several times a year and will get you through the process in under 15 minutes every time, after you have collected your luggage. I have this track record and did it for every hunter I had this year.

It's not magic just experienced preperation, and having the right people to get you through after you arrive!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry

I was in the Premier Lounge on July 11 and they nicked me for $30 bucks American for me and the same for my wife. No rates were posted. Just fork over what the lady said or go some place else.

She asked if I had a Diner's Club Card first. When I said no, she whacked us for $60.

I made up for it by drinking my own weight in beer beer

JJ
You must know the Secret Handshake. What's the trick for getting the luggage in a timely manner?

Regards

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No trick there you just gotta wait it out. My post says 15 minutes ***AFTER*** you get your luggage!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote