THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    The .470 that blew up in Botswana was a....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The .470 that blew up in Botswana was a....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The .470 that blew up in BOTS was a Sako .375 with a fluted barrel. I received the following email that Butch Searcy forwarded to me this morning:

Quote:

Johan Calitz has been in contact with Jeff Rann Safaris, who says that it was a 375 Custom Sako with a fluted barrel that blew up. We are registering on Accurate Reloading and will then give this comment on the forum. Obviously someone doesn't like you very much!

Please feel free to quote either me or Johan Calitz and post your own comments. It might be a day or two before our registration is through and we can give comment.

Butch is having some difficulty getting logged onto AR and so has not been able to post this himself.

So a couple of corrections are in order. The rifle was a .375, not a .470. It was a Sako custom rifle, not a Searcy. And the accident was not in Mr. Calitz's camp.

If I hear of more details I will be happy to relate them here.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Quit confusing me with the facts.

Who'd a thunk it. A Sako in .375 with an after-market fluted barrel.

I wonder if it had chopper lumps, sideclips and a Greener cross-bolt or doll's head extra fastener?

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the second bad report about a Sako in the last two weeks. The other was one jamming and the Guide getting chewed by a Brown Bear while attempting to clear it.

Looks like a few of your guys owe Butch Searcy an apology.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Got to be careful with those modern bolt actions.

Give me a "junk" vintage Mauser 98 anyday.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
NitroX,
If you like the 98 so much then why do you have the SxS 12 ga. in your pic?

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill

That is a 450#2 not a twelve gauge.

The comment is part of "The Never Ending Story" about old versus new. It started a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away. (another forum)

to be continued.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote