New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 LR finishers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone use those cartridge adapters (eg Walther-Lothar) which allow you to use a 22 Long Rifle cartridge in a 9.3x74R or 30-06 etc. hey are not very accurate but seem to be a good way to finish off wiounded game with less meat damage and less risk of ricochets.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I understand what you are describing, then you end up with a sub 2" barrel which - in my PRACTICED opinion - is worthless.

Case in point - I once shot a mule deer buck and he dropped in his tracks. I handed my rifle to my father and headed up the hill. When I was half-way up the hill, the buck stood up. All I had at that point was a Jennings pocket .22 auto pistol.

That buck took six shots to the back of the head from a distance of about 10 feet. I reloaded and gave him six more. Finally, I cut his throat. I skinned out the head and not one of those 12 rounds penetrated his skull.

Now it's true that what you describe wouldn't have the velocity loss due to having the cycle the action, but I still wouldn't want to count on it, especially with African animals' reputation for tougness.

My $.02 - you get what you pay for. Wink

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I used it sometime, and I usually have one with me, even if I think that I will make one for the bigger calibers in 22k-hornet. It should be better.
I bring the dispatcher during the boars hunt, because a hunter risked genitals and femoral arteria trying to open the neck to a big male of wild boar. He gave me this version.
It was night and in some area of Italy boars are declared vermin and it is possible to hunt them during the night, but some people when hear some shot call immediately the police and it is annoying to explain to the agents that it is all right because the special permission. So he decided to finish the animal with the knife, approching the boar from behind.

The beast was wheezing hardly lieing in a water and mud hole, it seemed without forces, but when the hunter approached it with the last forces it turned the head trying to hit the hunter with the fangs. The hunter had the time to, litterally, plunge back and the fangs did not hit him for a centimeter or two.

I am more relaxed if I can approach the barrel of the rifle close to the head of the animal (pratically leaned to the head) and shoot a little .22 LR. It is a finisher, a dispatcher, it can be used instead of the knife. I used it also on deers here in Europe.

I do not figure the use of the .22LR dispatcher on many african animals, plains game included. I do not figure the use on Water buffalo in Australia, or on crocs, but thinking to a dingo, similar to the on described above, well, why not?

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
excuse me,
where I wrote
quote:
similar to the on described above,

must be read as: in a situation similar to the one described above

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use the front of the head instead of the back of the head as the skull is much thinner at the front. The .22 is perfectly capable of dispatching anything reasonable at point blank ranges.

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have often had a .22 in my pocket for finisbhing shots. At one time, I used an Astra Cub in .22 Short! Now use an Iver Johnson .22 LR semi-auto that works well. Using the 40gr solid high-speeds, they seem to always work.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
back on the farm when shooting the odd cow for meat we used a 22 with sub sonic ammo to drop em quick an painless

Posts: 9 | Location: Melbourne Australia | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Such a .22 adapter could get you some guinea-fowl for the pot!

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've tried 22LR and 22 Mag as finishers on mule deer and antelope and had very mixed results. I now use a Ruger Bear-Cat 22LR revolver but I've found that the 60 grain subsonic ammo penitrates much better than either 22 high speed or even standard 22 mag ammo. I have a friend that swears by a 25 auto even for back of the skull shots.

One of these days I'll find a 32-20 revolver at a gun show and give it a try. Heavier bullets, even to say 150gr, seated backwards should penitrate like mad at point blank range at 500fps velocity. Just a thought.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote