THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Would you hunt with a 270 WSM for Plains Game?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you hunt with a 270 WSM for Plains Game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would you hunt with a 270 WSM, we have a group of 6 going to Namibia this summer. I went to Houston SCI to close the loop with our PH and reviewed the guns that most folks are bringing - .30-06, .325 WSM, .338 WM and .375 H/H. We have one guy who owns 1 rifle and that is a 270 WSM, the PH doesn't like the 270 and really likes the 30 calibers. The 270 guy does not want to buy another rifle and for the cost of a rental, he could almost buy another rifle.

So the question is - would you hunt with the 270 WSM.

Game to include - Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest, Springbok, Blesbok.

I would think no issues on the Springbok, Blesbok. Don't know about the others.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The 270 WSM will be fine. Tell him to loaded/use it heavy 150+ premium bullets.

Hundreds of moose and elk have fallen to the 270. African game are not armored plated.

Thousands of African game animals have fallen to the 6.5x55.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Shot placement and premium bullets like Mike said and he should be fine.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Nimbia there is a 7 MM or larger law.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
In 2004, my Dad killed kudu, mountain zebra, springbok, red hartebeest, impala, and warthog with a .270 WSM shooting 140 grain Barnes TSXs. With correct shot placement, it worked just as well as my .338.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Nimbia there is a 7 MM or larger law.

This is not true. We have an energy minimum for certain animals, but no caliber mimimum.

The following are from MET's reprint of the regulations, (Nature Conservation Ordinance 1975: No.4 of 1975.)

Restrictions in regard to firearms and capturing apparatus
42. (1) No person shall use a revolver, pistol or automatic fire-arm when hunting game or use a fire-arm of which the bullet has an energy at the muzzle of the barrel which is lower tahn the following when hunting the species of game indicated thereunder:
(a) 5400 joules: Buffalo
(b) 2700 joules: eland, kudu, oryx, wildebeest, hartebeest, all species of exotic game.
(c) 1350 joules: springbok, duiker.
Provided that the Cabinet may for the purposes of this subsection by regulation diffrenciate between the caliber of different fire-arms in respect of different game.
(2) No person shall when hunting the species of game mentioned in subsection 1(b) or (c) use cartridges with bullets commonly known as solids.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Oh, and Phoenixdawg, there is nothing wrong with the .270WSM, it might just be that your particular Ph had a bad experience with a .270 of some sort. I bet he will be happy with a 7x57 or a 7x64. (very close to the same ballistics.) Just stick to really good bullets like Barnes TSX, Rhino, Swift A-Frame as first choices or Nosler Partitions, GSC, or bonded bullets or simmelar as second choice.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would use it, especially since he already owns it and is comfortable with it. There's not a tremendous amount of difference between a 270 and a 30...a bit of bullet, a bit of speed, not much to fuss about. You don't need a new rifle to hunt Africa.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I would use 140 or 150 grain premium bullets.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember, you lost it, you pay the trophy fee!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I would. I really like the caliber.

In a Kimber Montana Smiler

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I am positive it would work fine for you. Personally, I use nothing less tha 30 caliber.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl the link I have to the NAPHA site states the same emergy requirements that you do, but also in bold print states no cal smaller than 7MM. In 2005 I was going to bring a 6.5-08, but did not because of the NAPHA site. If the NAPHA site is wrong please post link to correct info.

JD http://www.natron.net/napha/english/huntinglaws.html

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
J D, the NAPHA site is unfortunately wrong. I think the confusion arises because the Ph that wrote the piece, RECCOMENDS at leat 7mm. (Which, BTW is .276 inches) A few guest farms/ hunting farms that I know of, have their own ruling about 7mm and up minimum, but it is not law.
You will also note on the website that they include other animals not included in my ppost above., most noticable elephant. (Or just etc., this is not in the law, where have you ever seen a law stating etc..? Very open for abuse if the law has stated etc.) Atually, there is no legal minimum requirement for elephant in Namibia.

You should have brought your 6.5 for your plains game hunt.

I will follow up to see if there is a update or something. My info comes from MET's reprint of an very old law, that they are in the process of changing.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
Anotehr discrepancy:

From Napha's site:
quote:
No solid point cartridge is allowed to be used on antelope or any other species.

From MET's reprint, and my post above:
quote:
(2) No person shall when hunting the species of game mentioned in subsection 1(b) or (c) use cartridges with bullets commonly known as solids.

So as you can see, as per NAPHA's website, you are not allowed to use solids on buffalo or elephant or hippo, or rhino. Neither would you technically be allowed to use a bullet like a Barnes-X, according to their wording, but if you look at the actual law, you may use a solid on buff, and a Barnes-X on a kudu.

I am not trying to discredit NAPHA, i think its a great orginisation, but their website are wrong. Another important reason why you should rely on your PH's/ hunting guide's knowledge and expertise.

Karl Stumpfe
karl@huntingsafaris.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously someone departing on a hunting trip to africa can afford another rifle if it is called for . When you consider that nearly everything in your vicinity will be new to you and that some of the animals will be more tenacious of life than many available in the US the answer would seem to be yes the 270 WSM will work. It does however, fall well short of being the ideal cartridge. The gemsbok and the wildebeest are very tenacious of life and both have that hump that tends to draw your shot high and both have lungs that are concave from the rear requiring the shot to be more on the shoulder than behind it . I personally found all these things a bit disconcerting and would recommend more frontal area and a Swift A Frame or similar. The 06,300,338 or 350 Rem are better choices, but if the guy is a great shot under all conditions go for it.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
It doesnt matter what you hit them if you wound it's where you hit them.

With todays bullets I have no qualm for anyone bringing a .270 with tsx bullets and shooting wildebeest or gemsbuck. Shot placement is the one that counts. Shooting a wildebeest in the hump with a 375 or a 270 will still wound and make no difference.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Let me add my extremely limited experience of ONE safari.

A friend who I shared camp with on my Safari, showed up with a brand spanking new 300wby. He got the gun because he was under the impression that his favorite rifle, a 270WBY would be underpowered for the hunt.

I didn't even know he was in a quandry about this. When he mentioned to me that the 270wby was his favorite cartridge, I simply said, "Heck! You should have brought it!"

Though he had no issues with the 300WBY and enjoyed using it. I was with him when he shot a nice gemsbok cow with it. His shot placement was perfect. At the end up the trip, he did end up realizing that his beloved 270wby would have done just fine. But now his 300wby is a special gun to him so no great loss there.

This lesson was emphatically driven home when one of the other hunters in our group rolled into camp with a Zebra taken with a 7x57 one day and an Eland, taken with the same rifle, the very next.

150 grain premiums or 130 grain fast HOT monometal loads should serve him well if he puts them in the right place. If he likes the rifle and shoots it well, I don't believe there is any reason not to use it.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have not been to Namibia, I have been to SA and Zimbabwe numerous times. I enjoy asking locals what rifle they personally use. I have found many who use a 270 as their personal rifle with 243 appearing frequently as well. I have a 270 WSM that I love and would take it to Africa tomorrow with 140 or 150 Partitions or Swifts and never give it another thought. I shot a big bull elk with it and other than an eland don't think you'll encounter anything tougher.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wonder about someone saying "it's not ideal". What's ideal is a decent bullet put in the right spot according to what is legal in that area. Pretty simple. If you can do the same with a bigger bullet that's even better but just what is ideal? Personally, I don't think that you can tell anyone but yourself what is ideal for a given situation...even that is debatable. Wink

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I haven't found an deer/elk/plains game animal that doesn't pile up in short order and leave a blood trail that even I can follow when you punch a hole threw both lungs and both rib cages...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a .264 Win Mag with 140 gr. Barnes XLC's to Namibia last year. Took kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, hartebeest, zebra, etc. No problems.

If he uses quality bullets and can shoot it well, no worries.

As long as he can kill with it, the PH shouldn't care what he uses.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote