New
Find
Notify
Tools

Courtney Boots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have opinions about Courtney boots?

Selous vs. Safari?

Best regards;
Brett

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Absoultely, they are all I wear when I'm hunting in Africa. I also wear them when I'm hunting antelope here in Nevada in August.

I like the Selous the most. I have a pair of buffalo ones that I hunt in the most. I also have a pair of Selous in Elephant which I bought in Bulawayo - that's the place to get them cheap! The third pair I have are the Frontiers in Hippo - they are good too, but the sole in a bit less agressive than the Selous, but they are very comfortable. I haven't hunted in them.

I can recommend Courtneys without any reservation. The only issue I have with them is fit. If you are able to try them on, it's so much better. Otherwise, it may be advisable to buy 2 or 3 pair and see what fits best, and then return the others. I try to buy mine either in Africa or at SCI.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
WE have both at home, my wife has the safaris and I have the Selous. We both love them. The Selous is a more expensive boot and it shows. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How are they on the ankle? I hate boots that are stiff on the anlle...

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting on mine since the DSC show in January.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
They couldn't be softer on the ankle. The ankle leather is soft. That should be the least of your worries.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, are they cheeper at the SCI or DSC shows??

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own three pair and it's all I wear. I have a pair of the safaris and two of the frontiers, one buffalo and one hippo. The frontiers fit my feet better than the safaris so I like them better. My buffalo frontiers have been to Namibia twice and Tanzania once as well as many miles at home and are still in great shape. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
I have a pair each of the Selous, Frontier, and the Safari. The Selous and Safaris are the most comfortable boots I've ever had; I don't really like the Frontiers. The boots worked great in Zimbabwe. By the way there was a store in "downtown" Victoria Falls (such as it is) that had Selous boots for the equivalent of $175 US. That was in Sept. 2006.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Wearing a pair of safaris made from elephant as we speak - or as I type, however... I wear them almost everyday to work (work in an office, but...) I have a pair of selous (buffalo) at home (weekend wear). I have two more pair ordered, one velle, and one pair of the new "american" moccassin style.
I love them. I wear them to hunt, fish, work in, walking, everything. Best boots I have ever bought - hands down (but I can't tell you which pair I like best). Can't wait for the other two pair to come in!!!
I spent almost 300 bucks on a handmade pair of custom Russells. I wore them for a week. Made several attempts to contact the company to complain that they weren't right...and gave them to my brother. They just weren't worth the hassle...
Buy the courteneys...You won't regret it...
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I wear the Selous in Africa and hot weather hunting in the States.

They are extremely soft but have little ankle support.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have 2 pair of Voortrekkers in Elephant(my favorites) a pair of Vellies, a pair of Hunters, a pair of Salisburies. I wear one or the other daily and have for years. I rather like the fit of Courtneys. Acually I hunt in a pair of custom Russel High Country Hunters. The best place for Courtneys used to be Gekas in Bulawayo. They had the best selection. Haven't been there in 2 years but they didn't sell them at the factory when I was there last time. The Westley Richards booth has a good selection at SCI and I met the owner of Courtneys there , he is a nice guy.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
The Buffalo Selous here in the states are between 250 and 300. You can get them in Zim for about 70. The Elephants I paid about 200 for (I think) - I remember thinking it was a hell of a deal whatever it was.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I paid even less for my Elephant Voortrekkers I believe they were $90. Last time I was in Gekas and bought some clothes (best denim shorts I've ever had) they had no Elephant in stock and the owner there said they now only special order Elephant. They used to tell you to wear them home on the plane and NOT put them in your luggage. I remember the last time I brought over a pair the Customs man at Atlanta commented 'that's a nice looking pair of boots you have on,good looking leather' which I have always thought was his way of saying you're not fooling anyone.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they sell them anywhere in RSA? I couldn't bring myself to order $300 boots without trying them on.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes they sell them in the RSA. I have a pair of Selous and Voortrekkers and love both of them. Both of them have been stained with the blood of DG.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these the same as Westley Richards Selous boots? I have a pair of those on back order.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westley Richards would love to take credit but these boots are the brain child of John Rice. Retired from Clark in England. He is a very good friend of my and my good luck that we wear the same size and when he builds a new style, he always builds two pair and guess who is lucky enough to get the second pair. He has back against the wall in Bulawayo these days. They are the best hunting shoe for dry hunting. Don't work very well in wet weather. He and I work together to develope the frontier and I suggested the less aggressive sole for the American market. Glad everyone feels as I do about the boots.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The Courtney hunter(375) model are becoming more popular and are a good option.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC-Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've been really happy with my Selous boots, which I got from Westley Richards. I've got a short, wide foot, (size 8.5 US, EEE width), and the Selous boots are roomy enough to make them extremely comfortable even in my size.

I've been doing a lot of hiking in these boots as I prepare for my safari, and I'd say they are probably the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.

Posts: 100 | Location: Clover, SC | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be the differing opinion. I think they are very uncomfortable as they have no support for the foot. You stand on tire tread basically. The fit is terrible. It literally looks like you are wearing Ronald McDonald's shoes as they flare out real wide in the toe box. Yes, they are otherwize sized correctly to fit me.

Some of the construction is really interesting and they are well made in other regards. I don't think I will ever wear out the soles either. I just don't like them as they hurt my feet after a long day (I can't imagine 7-10 hard days in them). I much prefer my Russells or Meindls for all hunting and hiking.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Selous are ok, but the worst pair of boots I have ever owned is Courtneys Patrol model.
The padding around the top of the shaft is stiff and uncomfortable.
Feels like it is stuffed with horse hair?

The angle of the backside of the boots are such that when walkin on level ground or downhill, the back folds in and gnaw the heck out of my Acilles.

I have worked them over and over with leather proofing to try to soften them up a bit.
I have been pounding the inside padding with a ball hammer to try to flatten it out a bit and soften it.
But to no avail.

Otherwise the fit is ok.
I guess I just have to write them off as an lousy investment.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something about fitting boots with a ball peen hammer tells you they might not be good boots...and I would agree. Hey, lots of people like them but not me. I always wonder if those people have actually worn them outside of the local mall but clearly there are regulars here who love them.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
It literally looks like you are wearing Ronald McDonald's shoes

I can't disagree with that clap

Nonetheless, I've hunted and walked like crazy in mine and they're great. Here's what I've found; if you put them on and get them wet as hell and then let them dry on your feet it really helps the fit (does nothing for the toe fungus though). I had mine on while we slugged through a swampy, muddy mess in Zim chasing buffalo, and after they dried they were a perfect fit. I'd like to do that with my elephant ones, but I can't bring myself to it.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have both & prefer the cheaper Safari.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Bwanna,
I did it with my elephant ones. It is a must!!! no color change or any ill effect I can see. They fit like gloves now. As a matter of fact, I do that with all new hunting/outdoor shoes/boots I buy. Molds (pardon the pun) them to your individual foot.
By the by, I have walked in mine at the mall, but I also have walked many miles in them hunting and scouting (not at the mall). Best all around shoe for me. But then, that is why there are so many choices, what is right for one, may not be right for all.
beer
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote