Find
Notify
Tools

"Signs" of Africa...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Here's a few pict's of roadside signs that my son and I collected from the Caprivi Strip last year. Only in Africa!

Taken at a resturant in Katima, the Zambezi River is in the background.

A sign just outside the West Caprivi Park, heading towards Katima and East Caprivi.

Every year or so, a car or truck hits an ele crossing the road. We saw many fresh skid marks in the mornings from close encounters.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lost or misplaced a photo of mine, that was taken in Costa Rica some years ago. My wife and I were in Tortuguero, and making ready to eat in the only "hole in the wall" restaurant in town. Just as we were walked up to the door, a pig walked out and posed long enough to give me one of my favorite photos.

Many American restaurants work hard to sell you some kind of theme while your dining. I forget most of them. But, I cannot forget eating in the restaurant with pig tracks on the floor, and a couple of dogs laying under the tables.

/

Posts: 802 | Location: Alabama, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the condom sign, I wonder if it really has an effect.
Q: why do you use condoms
A: saw a sign on the highway telling me I should...

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more for your enjoyment.

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 67005 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't locate photo quickly but:
In one of the main shopping areas in Vic Falls, there is a small fenced area with a croc. Sign says:
" Those who toss objects into the water will be forced to retrieve them"

Administrator
posted Hide Post
At the croc farm we had an argument about the size of one of the crocs there.

Eventually, the man who worked there said "if you don't believe me, go in and measure him"

I said " I will be happy to, but I need the help of my friend outside in the truck"

He said "Go call him then"
Walter then chimed in "he means his friend who cannot walk or talk"

The man said "what is wrong with him?"
Walter "nothing is wrong with him. He is just suffering from being with Saeed for so long. He is covered in scratches all over the place. Some part of him are so black, and other parts are almost white, because he lost his skin"

The poor guy had his mouth wide open by then, and giving both Walter and me a rather funny look.

I said "my friend does not like crocs, so if I bring him in here he will kill your croc. Are you sure I can bring him in?"

Now laughing, our friend said "I think the croc will kill your friend"

Walter "here, I bet 100 American Dollars that my friend's friend wins the fight with your croc. No, no, in fact, if you allow my friend to bring his friend in and just spit on that croc, I will give you 100 US Dollars"

The guy started scratching his head, not sure what to make of all this.

Then a friend of ours jumped in, saying "do you know what these two are talking about? The "friend" they are talking about is a very old rifle. Scratches and dents are all over it. But, it "spits" deadly bullets. All these two jokers want to do is shoot your croc"

He said "Ah ah ah ah! You cannot shoot crocodiles here in the farm"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll contribute a few....

In Windhoek, Namibia, the Presidential Mansion is located at the corner of these two streets:

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote