New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leave Rifles While Touring
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Believe this has been raised before but failed to find thread. Will be in RSA in early August and would like to stay near Joburg overnight and leave firearms there while doing four-five days of tourism, picking up rifles on way to flight to Namibia. Grateful for suggestions.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might be able to do so with your meet and greet folks if using such.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gracy travel can arrange for you.

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted Hide Post
I have left firearms at the Afton House in the past. They have a large walk in safe. The Afton House has changed hands and I do not now the situation now but worth checking.

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have left my rifle at Africa sky. I think they charged $15 a day and when I flew from Cape Town to JNB on way to Maun they than a nice fellow at the airport with the rifle.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once left mine with SAPS at the airport for a few days, they were happy to oblige. Most of the domestic airlines won't let you haul them around and it's asking for trouble to travel with them in a vehicle and staying in hotels.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will these places like Africa Sky or Afton House allow for keeping the rifle if you leave the country to tour and then come back like two weeks later to hunt? I just assumed SAPS would want the rifle to leave the country when you do.

Posts: 60 | Location: Utah | Registered: 17 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I left a double rifle and a 375 H&H at Africa Sky for over a week while hunting the Eastern Cape. I then returned to Africa Sky and stayed overnight again and left for Zimbabwe. The guns were safe and sound in my TuffPak. Not sure if you left them there to go out of country first instead of visa versa. In any event, it is cheap and safe.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We left our guns and hunting kit with Africa Sky and went to the Falls to do the tourist thing. Worked out great for us. I will use them again.

Safe travels

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike B.:
Will these places like Africa Sky or Afton House allow for keeping the rifle if you leave the country to tour and then come back like two weeks later to hunt? I just assumed SAPS would want the rifle to leave the country when you do.

Yes, left mine there when I went to Botswana, Zimbabwe. It will Cost you of course, but they will deliver it you at the airport

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote