New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gemsbok question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is 88 the score for SCI Gold Medal status on the Kalahari Gemsbok? I know that cows have longer horns and are easier to attain a higher score. What do you consider to be a quality Gemsbok trophy over 36", 37" for a bull? What about a cow?

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the real "gold " standard for a bull is 40" or more, regardless of SCI scores. don't know about a cow.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13392 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40" is the magic number for a bull, like 60" for a kudu bull.

For a cow, I wouldn't shoot anything under 42"-44".

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
A trophy gemsbuck is one to which all of the following apply:
1. Was absolutely legally hunted.
2. That was (a) searched for on foot in (b) an area where the gemsbuck had a good chance of continually evading a hunter, and (c) stalked to well within the "sure shot" distance for the particular hunter plus his equipment (d) without the gemsbuck being aware of the hunter and then, (e) after due trophy evaluation (f) killed with a clean shot.

But Phoenixdawg's question is really about 2(e) which I tend to agree with Blair that 36" to 37" with blunt from wear horn tips is OK by me for a bul. Anything bigger with blunt from wear horn tips is a bonus. clap

A cow as trophy? No thanks - leave that for the tape measure hunters! thumbdownOK, I admit I'll be very tempted to let a client take a really old obviously "over the wall" cow with 42" horns! Wink

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew

I agree on the cow, I don't have a problem with someone shooting a cow, just not what I want to do.

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ej
posted Hide Post
Andy ,
Emailed you pics of a cow I shot.
Please comment on that and post a pic( I am photo retarded)
Thanks
ej

Africa Bug " Embrace the bite , live for adventure "
EJ Carter 2011

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
SCI gold medal with rifle

Kalahari Gemsbok (Namibia)
Gold Score 92 4/8

Kalahari Gemsbok (R.S.A., Botswana, Zimbabwe)
Gold Score 94

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 9,3x74R
posted Hide Post
Hi.

I guess this is a bull who is good enough to be called a trophy...

41,1/4"
Hunted alone, on foot in KZN 2007. And there is still some more of this bulls around....

Rino

Posts: 249 | Location: Oevre Eiker, Norway / Winterton RSA | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a trophy thumb

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenixdawg:
Andrew

I agree on the cow, I don't have a problem with someone shooting a cow, just not what I want to do.

PD,

Funnily enough the first Gemsbok I shot was a cow, in the Northern Cape. It was a long shot over 350 yards and she only ran 15 yards and piled up. I can remember that hunt well. So for me that's a worthy trophy.

It took me 10 years to finally bag a bull over 40" with Mike Kibble in 2006........just a shade under 41"....but heavy and straight all the way.

Here he is:

And here is a 42" bull that a mate shot on the same trip with Mike Kibble........this has unusual horn shape for a bull.......not my cup of tea personally, but the guy loves his bull.....and to take it on his first safari!!!

A long usually bent horned cow makes a nice comparison with a heavy straight bull in a trophy room......just don't shoot one in calf.

Blair.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ej:
Andy ,
Emailed you pics of a cow I shot.
Please comment on that and post a pic( I am photo retarded)
Thanks
ej

Pleasure. Here the photo:

This is a very good example of an a-typical cow with very long horns. I note where the blood came from and congratulate you on your shot. A trophy to be proud of.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenixdawg:
Andrew

I personally have no problem shooting a cow for meat, provided I am sure that she does not have a dependent calf hidden somewhere. And being sure of that is very difficult. Problem with shooting gemsbuck cows is that for about one month after the calf is born she hides it. It is very unlikely that you will ever be able to see if a gemsbuck is lactating - the udder is far back and seldom can be seen. Besides the first period hiding her calf alone they also form all female [?] nursery herds of lactating cows. It is only much later that the cows with their claves joins the regular mixed herd. And then it is also very difficult to see which calf belongs the which cow!

Let me assure you it is very sickening [at least to me] to walk up to a shot female gemsbuck and then only see that her udder is full of milk! Confused MadThat means one poor calf become jackall or other predators' food!
No gemsbuck cow shooting by me unless it is very obvious that she is very old and frail - I have done that with no regrets. I'll also again shoot a young and obviously not pregnant yet cow. That's good meat! Wink

The PHASA Code of Ethics clearly state that a PH should not allow a client to shoot any female with a dependent young. So any PH that allows his client to shoot a female gemsbuck needs some luck to be able to see the udder clearly enough to know she is dry, or she must be 'obviously over the wall from old age'. I'll stick to the latter as I've only once while sitting in a sunken bowhunting blind actually seen a gemsbuck cow's udder clearly enough to say that she was indeed lactating.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren