THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    what scares you the most about africa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what scares you the most about africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Nothing about african hunting scares me.

I budget for it as I can. I hope I make reasonable goals regarding hunted game. I try to book good travel dates that work well with my business requirements. There are obvious and well reputed ph's to hunt with. Whats to be scared of?

"Fear" is just an excuse for a genuine lack of interest. If you really want to skydive you go. If you really want to drive fast in a car you go. If you really want to hunt africa you go.

Scared of snakes or loosing possessions or the local gov or dg or the flight is baloney. If it isn't a priority for the person they should just be comfortable saying so.

Bathing is dangerous. Eating is hazardous. Riding a bycycle now requires a helmet.

Posts: 9243 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wellll, I have over a thousand skydives and the Nairobi traffic still scares the hell out of me... Eeker

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ONLY thing that scares me about going to Africa is loosing my guns/luggage.

I feel almost the same fear when flying with guns in the USA as well.

I have made 4 trips and been in Africa for over 100 days.

I have never had any luggage loss problems.

I have gone to Zimbabwe early and "lived" in Harare before my hunts. I have driven all over Zim with no problems.

I really like Zimbabwe.

I did spend some time with Ivan In Botswana, I was not hunting, but I was imperessed with Botswana. It seemed to be the most Civilized between SA and Zim.
When I flew out, at the airport the lady was not in the passport booth when I got there, I was early. When she arrived she apologized for me having to wait[ the plane was still 45 min from leaving, she was not late I was just early].
She was a real sweetheart, her and the other male Official were very friendly and I enjoyed talking to them.

I have had only a few minor problems with baggage[overweight, I was taking supplies to the PH].

One minor problem with ammo in the rifle cases, simply resolved, [The Wife and I had 49 lbs of ammo on that trip, don't ask don't tell].

I have taken a hand gun on all 3 of my hunting Safaris, through South Africa into Zim.
One problem at Vic Falls, the young guy did not know the rules about handguns, he was very nice the whole time, the "Secret Police" showed up, saw that I had been in Zim before and said "No Problem"...
All the Officials I have delt within Africa have been very polite and friendly.
Guns through JoBerg, NO Problem.

The long flight, not a problem for me.

The SAA crews have been most friendly, the food very good, [better than USA plane food by far, the Scotch is free] dancing, and I do not even fly first class].
To tell the truth, I would clutch to the wing, or hide in the wheel well to get to Africa...

When it comes to the money spent, you just need to get that straight with the Safari Company before you book the hunt.

AND ONLY BOOK WITH WELL KNOWN COMPANIES WITH GOOD REPUTATIONS.

Try to meet you PH before the hunt, or at least talk to several people that have hunted with him before.

I wish I was on the way to Africa right now....

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tokalosh's scare me

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mambas and my variable shooting ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16544 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
None of the above.

My biggest fear is having the African outfitter promise you the moon and when you get there you get nothing at all what you paid for or where promised.

So far on my two trips I am 50%........

In my case it was the American outfitter, Cabelas (for goodness sake)...Cy Angeloz/Russell Sele (sp?)

One trip with the ultimate bad experience is not a valid sampling but knowing who to trust will always be in the forefront the next time I book for Africa. Everything else is only a minor inconvenience. But being told on arrival that the game animals they promised were in good supply, and then finding out from the property owner they have not been available for more than 2 years is a bald-faced lie, fraud, and a mortal sin.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Not ever making it back!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan-
I don't "fear" any of the things you mention. Nonetheless, they are daunting. Getting there is a huge hassle, and that hassle factor essentially applies a speed bump. I do it because it's worth it, but cripe!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Screwing up a shot, having it captured on film, appearing on Tracks Across Africa, and then being brutalized on AR! Big Grin

I agree that a lot of what has been mentioned has nothing to do with being “scared”, but the hassle factor involved. The question is, is it worth it? For me, absolutely, and as was stated it can be rationalized as being part of the adventure.

A first timer worries about all sorts of things, I know I did…the fear of the unknown. And I feel this way about other destinations, like say Russia/Asia, but perhaps after doing them once I’d realize it’s no big deal. Traveling with a partner helps take away a lot of the anxiety, and while going solo may be the only option for some trips, I enjoy the getting-there more with somebody along.

As time goes on, and one does more trips and learns the ropes, maybe has a bad experience or two, the challenge is to focus on the positives and not get sour. I recall running into a hunter years ago in camp who had been on something like 30 hunts. Nice guy, but everything he said was negative and clearly the hassle outweighed the enjoyment.

I do worry about the guns making the trip, not so much the thought of losing them as they are replaceable, but how it might impact what is likely to be an expensive hunt. The trick here is to make sure that your PH has a decent spare setup (rifle, scope, ammo) appropriate for your hunt just in case.

The proof is that while many of us hemmed-and-hawed prior to our first trip, and it took something or someone to get us moving…very few of us have gone just once and/or are not planning our return! Smiler

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In this economy in general, and my economy in particualr,the only thing that scares me about Africa is the cost of hunting there today!

....................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having never been there, my biggest concerns are:
1. Govt corruption/politics.
2. PH/outfitter fraud.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Not having enough money to return to Africa as long as I'm physically able is far more scary to me than anything you have on your list.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12934 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scariest? None of the above.

The scariest thing was the tiny "plop" of my camera, with about 450 priceless photos, being dropped...by my PH!...into the thigh-deep Caprivi swampwater in which we were wading. My heart stopped.

Taking a buffalo only a few minutes later definitely got it beating again.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the above.

I'm most concerned about crooked gov't officials and locals. Seeing all of the barbed/razor wire, I couldn't wait to get the hell out of Jo'burg and onto the hunting camp.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Scariest? None of the above.

The scariest thing was the tiny "plop" of my camera, with about 450 priceless photos, being dropped...by my PH!...into the thigh-deep Caprivi swampwater in which we were wading. My heart stopped.

Taking a buffalo only a few minutes later definitely got it beating again.

John

Ok now that is frigging scary! Seems to me anymore its the photos of experiences that matter quite a bit.

I am so sorry I do not have enough good pictures of the very fine bird dogs I have owned that are now gone.

Posts: 9243 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odie:
On my second trip to Zimbabwe I went through way too many police checkpoints for my liking. It didn't help that the lead PH was antagonistic towards them at every stop.

If it makes you feel better, the PH probably knew what he was doing. Africa is NOT the US. Aggression with a US cop gets you in a world of shit but if you act passive with some cops on the continent you are perceived as an easy mark. Giving them shit and standing tall might yield a better result.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A little off subject but with tendrams comment on odie's post I think the uninitiated need to know that road blocks in southern Africa are the norm. They are there for traffic control etc as police cruisers are in short supply there.

I've chosen to drive rather than charter on most safaris and found the road blocks and border crossings to just be part of the adventure and definitely not dangerous. In general the police have been friendly and courteous. The PH's I've ridden with have been cordial with all officials and I would think an agressive stance might be counter productive. Patience and a pleasant demeanor without appearing retiring is what I've seen work.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12934 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
quote:
Originally posted by odie:
On my second trip to Zimbabwe I went through way too many police checkpoints for my liking. It didn't help that the lead PH was antagonistic towards them at every stop.

If it makes you feel better, the PH probably knew what he was doing. Africa is NOT the US. Aggression with a US cop gets you in a world of shit but if you act passive with some cops on the continent you are perceived as an easy mark. Giving them shit and standing tall might yield a better result.

Do not beg or squirm. Within reason stand-up for yourself, be assertive without being ill-mannered. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Mugabe. I think he's Obama's mentor.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of all that you mentioned, loosing my guns is probably the biggest fear I have. Of course, working with a good travel agent that knows african hunting and insuring the guns minimizes your risks.

The plane ride, well, spend more $ and fly business/first and it isn't as bad.

Border entry? In general, they aren't going to fuss with you much more than having a hand out for "Christmas presents"- a pain, yes. Not the end of the world. If you are polite and ask them what to do, they may take advantage of you, but you will get through.

Poor trophy prep- again- if you did your homework and are with a reputable company, this should be taken care of.

Slow process- there you have me. Somehow, if I get my stuff I'm not so worried about how long it takes.

Worried about the area/PH/who to book with? hopefully you did your homework and used a reputable booking agent. Those two should cover most of this (not all) add in travel insurance and you are about as safe as you are going to get.

The cost. That's the one that gets me. C'mon powerball.

Posts: 10817 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Alexander:
Mugabe. I think he's Obama's mentor.

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36893 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
In todays economy...I simply can't afford any hidden costs! It used to be...oh well...write him a check...but...not right now!!!

I don't like the plane ride. I worry about losing a rifle. I don't care for many of the governments. I prepare for disease and medical care. Doesn't really matter to me how long it takes to get trophies. I know "who & who NOT" to book with. They always prepare my trophies well. They would NEVER take me to a bad area. Now that I have one again...I will just take her with. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36893 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Mambas and my variable shooting ...

I'd second that! Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

You know every since I've been a member of AR I've heard about "hidden costs". People come to me inquiring about a hunt and ask what the "hidden costs" are? What are we talking about here? Costs sometimes come up that nobody was aware of but to me hidden implies intentionally covering up expenses and then hitting the client with x,y,z expenses before they leave. I'd be very interested in what different people's actual experiences have been?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Hidden cost on my last hunt were substantial. The problem was there were too many animals that needed killing and I was not prepared for the additional trophy fees. Big Grin

What the hell, it is only money.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
"hidden costs" are? What are we talking about here?

Mark,

You are absolutely correct...probably bad nomenclature.

Unknown costs to the first-time hunter would be more appropriate name. After you have been a few times...should be very little of those.

For me...the first time I went...it was the tips and the shipping and receiving of trophies that got me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
Not ever making it back!!!

Graybeard came up with the one I was thinkng of. Not being able to go back, or not being able to go back as soon as we want are the #1 fear as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 3883 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
What scares me the most is not the trip there or the hunting but the return home.

After being gone for 2 weeks plus, the look on my wife's face after having to deal with our two toddlers all by her lonesome just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up shocker!!

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an addiction that isn't easily broken.

Posts: 12026 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loosing a family member and not knowing that they passed, or not being able to attend their funeral.

That truly scares the bejesus out of me. I worry about my Grandmother in particular, but also my family. I believe it stems from unexpectedly losing my father at a young age.

One of Us
Picture of wtnut
posted Hide Post
Ending up in a Zimbabwe jail. I think that would scare the hell out of anybody.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt with Chifuti (or any good outfitter) and most of the aforementioned worries will be for not!

3 trips to Zim and not a single (serious) problem, other than my terrible shooting!!!

NOTE: It is entirely unrealistic to expect a "perfect" accounting for all safari related expenses prior to departure - S#!t happens and happens real fast in Africa. A good reputable outfitter will get the total $$ within a few points - that has been my experience.

I got popped with a really high freigt bill a few months back, but in hindsight that was partly my fault for not making it clear how I wanted the goods transported back to the states.

Dot your "i"s and cross your "t"s and all will be good to go!

Most importantly be prepared to improvise and be paitent.
JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not a fear but more of an irritation.

The PH’s when we sit around in camp they talk Afrikaans to each other. I would like to hear the story, they all are laughing so they must be good ones. The PH’s do speak English and well. I think, and have heard others say, it alienates them from the group.

Mark

Posts: 1236 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I couldn't agree more. PHs speaking any language in front of clients that the client does not understand when the PHs are fluent in the client's language is incredibly rude. I have made a point of discussing this very point with a couple of operators we work with.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Losing my guns in transit- no worries there's always a spare in camp.

2. long flight- Watch the 1950's movie of Robert Ruarks African Safari, it took like one week and countless flights. 17 hours to hunt Africa is well worth it.

3. African border entry points-- Remember its Africa and roll with it. 9 out of 10 times a smile and persistence will take care of a problem.

4. poor trophy preparation- While disappointing, it means I need to fly back over and get another one.

5. Slow dip and pack process- Gives me time to save up the money to pay after the safari

6. hidden costs - hard to determine final amount- No one likes sticker shock after the fact, never had the problem but if i did I would know not to hunt with them again.

7. dont really know who to book with- In today's information age, not really a valid concern

8. Worry about if the area really is good or not worry that my wife will know what this cost- Now that one is a valid concern, especially since my wife doesn't hunt.

I guess my biggest fear would never being able to go back and hunt Africa for what ever reason.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Mark,

I couldn't agree more. PHs speaking any language in front of clients that the client does not understand when the PHs are fluent in the client's language is incredibly rude. I have made a point of discussing this very point with a couple of operators we work with.

Mark

I hope it was the one in Cameroon. In 15 days I would have heard less French conversation if I'd been eating crossiants at the top of the Eiffel tower.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

In Cameroon and in South Africa is where I was referring to.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that scares me is not going back - and that REALLY scares me!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote