New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stag Arms Quality ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just ordered one (because I shoot wrong handed). For those more knowledgeable, please provide your opinion on Stag's as to quality, reliability, accuracy etc. Been many years since I once owned a Colt AR and haven't kept up with the market on this type weapon. Thanks, Mike

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to throw "cold water" on your purchase, but local fellow bought one, due to left hand ejection issue, and can report he could never get it to feed in a reliable manner. Myself and couple others in the area that have shot 15/16's for quite a few years in matches/military/LE looked at it for him, checked everything we could and just simply could not get it to feed well. Two or three shots and jammed without fail!! Owner sent back to Stag, they kept it some 2-3 weeks and returned and upon trying at the range, same results. Tried variety of ammunition, mags, cleaning, lubricating, etc., but to no avail. He finally gave up on it and returned to dealer and Stag and Stag/dealer refunded his money. Reason(s) for failure to feed were not given upon final return?? Will say this is the only experience I have ever had with Stag product and am sure others out there may have had good experience, but not this one. In the event it does fail to operate as should, would get back with them quickly and not let the issue drag out. Good luck.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stags quality is as good or better then anything else out there. There are lemons in EVERY brand. Stag is CMT, which is CMT and the are one of the oldest producer of M16/AR15's. In fact they made most the parts for the early Colt.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Stag makes the S&W M&P 15 rifles too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I have two AR's built off of stripped stag lowers, with a number of aftermarket parts completing the rifle. They both work flawlessly. My cousin is a SWAT officer in Ft Collins, CO. I believe they chose Stag for the AR's for the team. They love them. I have not fired a complete rifle from Stag my self.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I have had a lefty M-4 style for about 1.5 years now and haven't had any reliability problems at all. Shot everything from mil-surp junk to Federal Gold Medal. It really likes 69gr. Nosler CCs over 25 grains of RL-15.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a S&W M&P15 and it works with out fail. As mentioned above the upper and lower recievers are built by Stag. Not sure how much of the internal parts are Stag.
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the responses. Sounds like they are good as any with the occasional lemon. Will go ahead with the purchase. Hope to get it before all the coming regulations and law changes. Factory said they were 10 weeks out on orders but I'am guessing they may be optimistic. Went to a Dallas Gun Show this weekend and all AR's were bringing a premium price. It will only get worse. Thanks, again.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Here's the best deal I've found anywhere on a Stag AR . . . I ordered one on Nov 5th and got a call tonight that it will be shipped this Friday:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=573213

Add a lower for about $160 and you're in the gun for less than retail.

Good luck!

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jds:
Here's the best deal I've found anywhere on a Stag AR . . . I ordered one on Nov 5th and got a call tonight that it will be shipped this Friday:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=121&t=573213

Add a lower for about $160 and you're in the gun for less than retail.

Good luck!

JDS

Now that's a deal! thumb

Wish I had a spare $600 floating around right now. I'd be all over that.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
A shooting buddy of mine and I both got in on the Stag group buy.

I have about a 100 rounds through mine so far and with a slightly reworked trigger am getting about 1 inch groups at 100 yds with my reloads.

I am impressed with the accuracy for the price.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Feeding issues are 95 percent magazine problems and 5 percent ammo problems. Stag arms parts and rifles are as good as the best and better than almost all others. CMT is closely related to Stag and they build both RRA and Stag receivers. I personally think RRA is the best and Olympic is the worst and cheapest, everything else is in between.

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DFC:
Feeding issues are 95 percent magazine problems and 5 percent ammo problems. Stag arms parts and rifles are as good as the best and better than almost all others. CMT is closely related to Stag and they build both RRA and Stag receivers. I personally think RRA is the best and Olympic is the worst and cheapest, everything else is in between.

Stag is CMT's commercial outlet. I feel Stag is better then RRA. RRA hasn't been in this business long enough to know more then CMT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not about the length of time they have been in the market place, it is however about the tolerances the receivers are machined to. There is a distinct difference between the Stag (which is owned by the son of CMT) and RRA. RRA receivers are machined to RRA spec's not Mil-Spec as are Stag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not about the length of time they have been in the market place, it is however about the tolerances the receivers are machined to. There is a distinct difference between the Stag (which is owned by the son of CMT) and RRA. RRA receivers are machined to RRA spec's not Mil-Spec as are Stag.

I'm not going to sit here and have a pissing contest. Read this forum:

http://www.thehighroad.org/arc...ex.php/t-296047.html

Length of manufacture does have it's merits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read 90 percent of the linked forum. I see nothing that would dispute what I have posted.

I may not know everything, but I do know a little about AR's. I build custom AR using both RRA and Stag parts. That would be about 200 of them a year.

www.careycustomrifleco.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read 90 percent of the linked forum. I see nothing that would dispute what I have posted.

I may not know everything, but I do know a little about AR's. I build custom AR using both RRA and Stag parts. That would be about 200 of them a year.

www.careycustomrifleco.com

So you're going to tell me that RRA receiver specs are different they any others, that the upper receiver bore my be tighter, that the carrier diameter may be different, that the bolt may be different, that the trigger pin holes in the lower are different spec, etc., etc., I think not. Fact is the carrier, bolt, and upper receiver bore have to have certain tolerances in them in order for the rifle to operate correctly. You tighten those up and the bolt lugs won't enter the barrel extension. I'll agree with you that chambers can differ from military specs in the 223/5.56 caliber, but I don't see much of anything else being different.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Stag makes the S&W M&P 15 rifles too.

Stag did used to make parts for the S&Ws, but has not now for some time. As to Dsiteman's comment about his buddie with the Stag that would jamb etc.; most people do not run their ARs wet enough with a good oil on the bolt. Even a great gun will jamb when run too dry. For the best info on ARs I've read so far; check out the thread on the "AR Forum" titled " what parts break in a combat course". Pat Rogers, who writes for a few Combat style magazines, and runs a combat school is the main scrib in that thread, and gives a pretty intense education regarding ARs and their componants. I own a Stag upper in 6.8spc, and I run it hard. I keep it wet with slip 2000 or Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, and it has never hicupped. But if you run say, a top of the food chain "Noveske" dry, and it will stop running. Cheers!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
You are correct in the"wet" comment about 15's and that was the case with the particualar Stag and still did not function well at all. Others have obviously not had any problems with the Stag 15's, but would further mention that the one which gave trouble was the left hand version?? There are a few other Stag 15's in the area and believe the one that gave trouble was the only left hand version that I know of in this immediate area. Have not heard of others having problems, and curious if the others stating that they have no problems are the left hand version?? We have a fairly active XC group of Highpower shooters and quite a number of the 15's used are "built" guns and folks are familiar with the 15/16 platform and includes civilian, military, and LEO's. No one in the group of some 35 people use Stag 15's.
For this particular left hand Stag 15, the only good thing I could report on it is that the mfg. refunded the fellows money including all freight(actually back and forth twice!) Like all things mechanical, sometimes just don't work well and no way would condemn Stag for one "bad apple."

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lefty Stag and it has never jammed or jammed yet is a better term. Compared to my friends Colt fit and finish is nicer. I plan on buying more.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote