New
Find
Notify
Tools

smith and wesson?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im looking into the ar type 223 rifle, model m&p15t smith and wesson with 4 long rails, snap down adjustable sights, collapsing stock, lists for about $1888. Is smith and wesson keeping up with thier quality in their new AR type guns? anyone shot one, what say you all? I was quoted $1300.00 today.. thanks dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S&W have had very good reviews of their AR clones. You may want to go over to the smith and wesson forum and check out what they have to say. Having said that, for that price you should look at the Sig 556. I have the Sig but don't have the S&W.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bought one the S&W 5.45X39 M4 clones last year. I've been very happy with mine. It's accurate and reliable.

Great plinking rifle!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have the regular S&W M15, works fine, $1300 seems high.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
If you like rails and flip up iron sights, the 15T is a good factory rifle. They are well made and good shooters. 1300 is a good price for this model NIB right now.
If you just want a plinker or woods walking rifle, an S&W 15 with standard handguards and sights cost significantly less, weigh less, and are more comfortable to shoot (my opinion). Rails and flip up sights, however, are great if you want to add a light, scope and vertical grip.
S&W may be doing the assembly now but I bet they are sourcing the parts elsewhere. CMT maybe? Regardless, quality seems good.
ChetNC

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#2 son has a Smith, and I'm very impressed with it. I'm sure prices vary with the dealer's gouging instincts.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the S&W AR-15 VTAC and absolutely love it.
It listed about the same as the one your looking
at.
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote