Find
Notify
Tools

Custom AK-47 stock set
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
I've spent the past few months working on this project and have made a lot of progress recently and would like opinions before I finish it up. This is a WASR that started out with a well used laminated wood butt and fore-grips (upper foregrip was cracked in half) and a plastic pistol grip.

The picatinny rails will be held by 8x32 screws sunk into the body and will screw into stainless lugs epoxied into the lower foregrip. I'll be doing the final drilling very precisely in a milling machine so the rails are in alignment.

The stock is laminated black walnut and there's three layers of wood. The butt is bedded into the receiver so there's no play and the screws are bedded into steel lugs. It has a 1/2" rubber buttplate and the stock is shaped with adjusted dimensions to fit the shooter and the pistol grip was shaped based on a mold I took of the owner's hand. The pistol grip is bedded to the receiver and the screw head is countersunk into the underside of the grip and bedded with a drilled-out brass screw escutcheon (from a 10/22 carbine).

I am finishing it with spar urethane and am shimming the contact points of the upper foregrip to ensure a tight fit between it and the lower. I'll drill three vents in them too.

Any advice? I usually work on sporter or target stocks so the AK is a new thing for me.

While I'm at it, is it normal for an AK bolt to not fully close unless you rack the bolt all the way back? Sometimes it hangs up about 1/2" open when you don't let the bolt go with full pressure. I have polished and lubricated and everything looks fine and it fires but I don't want it to somehow fire out of battery if the bolt doesn't fully close.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My biggest want for an AK is a stock that gives proper cheek weld with a commie scope mounted.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
This one is designed for iron sights but raising the comb wouldn't be an issue.

I countersunk the rails to fit the 8x32 screw heads level with the base (so they don't interfere with what you're mounting), trimmed the screws to fit the stainless nuts threaded on tight (three per screw), and epoxy bedded them into the lower fore-grip with plenty of Devcon. These things shouldn't break off anytime soon. I made certain they were aligned and level while the epoxy was curing. I cut some buick holes between the two pieces too. This gun is very close to being finished.

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
counter sinking the rails would of cleaned up the lines a bit. Or at least blue the ends of the rail where the white metal from cutting is. It looks like you counter sunk the screws in the last picture, but not in the first? the non'countersunk screws reduce mounting locations for accessories. It's not pretty but few ak's are. Hopefully it is functional for your purposes

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I finished this up awhile ago and have some pics. I countersunk all of the screw heads and painted the rails and screws with a black epoxy, not to mention finishing up the stock work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread to revisit - like how the custom forend was made. Just noticing in the last few years how the variety of custom scope mounts and stock sets for AKs has really increased, so if you aren't up to making one there are some quality pieces out there.

Well done Evan!

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote