Notify
Tools

Century Arms FN FAL ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Any opinions on this rifle?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to their FN FAL, but on AKs, Century has spotty quality.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I've heard that about their CETME rifles too. Their FAL's are alot less expensive than others, makes me wonder.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask that on falfiles.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this link help?

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/fal/fal.pl?noframes;read=1830

Be careful with British ones! WE had a terrible practice to tighten the sling for parade use of opening the rifle, tightening the sling and then closing the rifle. With obvious long term results.

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have one and it is a very accurate and reliable rifle. I know they have a bad reputation but the quality of mine is as good as any FAL i've seen except the Springfield. Probably not as good as any original but good enough for me to depend on in any event. Accuracy is good but most 'assualt' rifles are not bought as target rifles. The one exception I have had was my Bushmaster Varminter which was accurate as any varminter I've owned. My FAL is definitely better than my Ruger ranch Rifle in the accuracy department. I've seen probably 1/2 a dozen Century Fal's and all were what I would call very serviceable arms and i would not be reluctant to buy another if the opportunity presented itself.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
I've had several FALs and L1A1s of various manufacture and had nothing but good experiences with them. No problems that I can remember.

If you're going to get one I would recommend the inch pattern rifle because you can use either the inch or the metric magazine but not if the rifle is metric, then the rifle will accept only metric mags.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks Zim & Namibia. Namibia, could we see an enlargement of your avatar?

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006

Thanks Zim & Namibia, I may go ahead. Namibia, could we see an enlargement of your avatar? Thanks again.

Glad to oblige.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Century is known as 'the angry beavers" for the work they do on thier own builds. There are many premier falsmiths available at the falfiles.com, as previously suggested.

Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems is one of the best. If you want a super functioning rifle w/no quality issues, see him. I haven't looked at his website in some time, he usually has a for sale section, as does the falfiles.

You can't buy a better battle rifle than the fal. IMHO of course.

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I own a FAL and have done lots of reading on them. There are lots of people out there that own Centurys and love them. There are others who've bought Centurys and loathe them. It seems like here lately though, Century's FALs have for the most part been servicable rifles. Moreover, most problems with a FAL can fixed by a gunsmith that's trained to deal with them. Mark Graham is one and there are several others out there. I'd recommend a trip to the FAL Files forums for more information.

That said, I know which FALs you're referring to and I don't think they're truly an inch rifle. Century Arms has been building all their FALs lately on the metric pattern receivers they had cast. If the gunsmith at Century did the proper amount of finish work to the casting, there's nothing really wrong with them. In fact my IMBEL FAL is built on one of these castings and runs like a Swiss clock. So...it would be my guess that the inch rifles you're asking about are actually inch kits assembled on on metric receivers. That's a good thing because it may get you the best of both worlds - metric magazine compatability and a folding charging handle. And, looking at my SOG flyer, they're available at a decent price too.

You'll probably be fine with a Century FAL.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My Century FAL is definitely an inch pattern with all Australian parts. Can't fault anything but the plastic handguard. Just not what I would call first class. Shop here in Tucson has a nice Springfield that looks almost mint. Around $1500 I believe. Has factory bi-pod and excellant finish. It is metric pattern. Easier to find metric mags than inch also.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to see that picture! Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote