THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Looking for help identifying mauser
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for help identifying mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I have placed a mauser for sale in the AR classified section. I am looking for help identifying the country and date of origin..

Caliber is 7x57. Pictures show the serial number and proof marks. The measurement from the front ring to the rear ring behind the bolt release is just over 6.5". Center of front action bolt to center of rear action bolt (on the bottom metal) is about 7-3/4". Diameter of the front ring is a hair over 1.4".

For more pictures see my classified listing for the Banner mauser in 7x57. http://forums.accuratereloadin...521079391#1521079391

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the stock off and look for a serial # stamped inside. Mauser made these for the post office, railroad security, shooting clubs, etc. I don't know how club guns were stamped, but the Post office and railroad guns had stamps on the side of the butt. Some are marked with a dated stamp below the banner on the front receiver ring, some are not. However, I believe most were made between 1932 and 1934. John Speed's mauser book would be a good place to look for info. This is a very nice example. Are you certain this rifle is chambered in 7x57?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3285 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote