Find
Notify
Tools

Preban/Postban
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
In mounting an upper on a postban lower, what is one allowed to do?

Specifically, from what I've read, I understand one can have a muzzle brake but not a flash hider and that it has to be permanently attached (welded or pinned) and cannot have a bayonet lug.

Some things I've read seem to indicate it's OK to have a telescoping stock while a source or two indicate that's a no no.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Federal "assault weapons ban" died on September 13, 2004.

BUT ........ I know that some municipalities in Ohio were trying to keep the post-ban requirements in effect.

Columbus was one of them.

So..... check local laws.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And not all local bans exactly mimicked the federal one. So check carefully.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,

If I understand it correctly it has to do with 2 federal laws that were attached to the clinton crime bill. They are 925 and 922 various sections, these are loosely known as the "compliance" laws, do a search on the web and you should find lots of info.
Essentially in the eyes of uncle sam when you mix and match parts you are building a gun, this has to be done in accordance to the compliance rules unless you have certain class of FFL.
Hope it helps.
Nirto450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the issue here is the presence or absence of a bayonette lug.

Bayonettes are of extreemly limited utility in combat and even less for a civilian shooter.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bayonettes are of extreemly limited utility in combat and even less for a civilian shooter.

True, but in the eyes of a liberal who knows less than jack shit about guns, a bayo lug makes it look "meaner." Therefore, you can't have one...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote