THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Not-so-modern yet incredibly reliable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not-so-modern yet incredibly reliable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In pleasant weather when properly loaded with military ammunition intended for the particular rifle, I anticipate the 1898 Krag, SMLE No. 4 MK 1/MK 1*, and Mauser 1898 are all incredibly reliable. As weather and/or operating conditions deteriorate, has any demonstrated superior reliability? I do not refer to exceptional accuracy; merely the ability to keep functioning as closely as possible to its functioning in pleasant conditions. I included the Krag because of its bullet proof magazine feed and its single lug cut within its receiver ring. The British and German rifles because of their incredibly long service lives in their many iterations.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weather deterioration to the point where you would still be in it should not be any kind of factor in my opinion for any of the three types listed. They are all tried and tested as you stated.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course any manually operated firearm given a modicum of maintenance and care will operate in any climatic condition. On the other hand, the most robust of them with little or no TLC can and do fail. Battle rifles, without regard to type of system/operation (manual/self loading) of many types and origins show splendid reliability-again dependent on care and maintenance.

Leave a SS/synthetic bolt gun with Wx proof ammo outside for a month in most any climate and when you attempt to fire it- don't be surprised if a wasp mudded the bore or a spider nested in the cocking piece or trigger area-etc.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I think it stands to reason that the most simple of the best designs were/are the most reliable. The splendid performance of the various Mauser and Lee Enfield models in the jungles of South and Central America and S.E. Asia, the deserts of North Africa, the frozen fields of Northern Europe, and the muddied fields of Western Europe are an example. However, there is a lot to be said for modern materials like aluminum, stainless steel, and synthetics as well as for chrome-lined bores and non-corrosive ammunition.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, there is a lot to be said for modern materials like aluminum, stainless steel, and synthetics as well as for chrome-lined bores and non-corrosive ammunition.

Leave a older battle rifle out in the weather along side a syt stocked stainless modern steel one of the same design and see what one shoots after a month.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If stainless and plastic was available in sufficient quantity and quality in 1903 or 1898 I suspect they would have been used to make the battle rifles of the day. I would expect the reliability of such a rifle to exceed that of any modern semi or full auto rifle. With proper maintenance I would still expect a Mauser or SMLE to be ultimately more reliable. That is not to say they are a better battle rifle for modern war.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote