Find
Notify
Tools

Slide stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I was at a gun show this weekend and saw something called a slideing stock. Has anyone ever used one of these things. They appered to fire the ar15 platform as fast as full auto. I'm just wondewring what the learning curve would be. Where you at SmokinJ I know you know about these stocks and have probly played with one.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I got to play with one those things at our range recently. It took about 5secs to figure it out. IMHO it was a fun but useless toy.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Do you think it would work on a SW MP15-22? Just curious I thought it might put a smile on my grand sons faces.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a video on youtube of a gent trying one of these on an SW 15-22 and it looked like it worked just fine. Interesting idea for a 22 plinker w/o spending ten grand!

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
Do you think it would work on a SW MP15-22? Just curious I thought it might put a smile on my grand sons faces.

I have no idea, but that sounds like a really cool idea Cool

I made fun of these when I first saw them on the internet and I rolled my eyes when the guy pulled one out of his truck. I will freely admit that after I shoot it I had a stupid grin on my face. That said, I have no plans to buy one.

One thing that sort of concerned me about it was the way it it fires. You lock your finger across the stock inside the triggerguard and to actually fire it you push the forearm foward. It works but seems like an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't let the kids get out of arms reach with it if you decide to proceed.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple things I don't like. It's expensive for what it is. It will only work on a carbine AR 15, so that means if you have the A2 full rifle stock you would have to change your extension tube, buffer, and recoil spring to a carbine model. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you never shot a full auto before I guess would cure your itch. It's a waste of ammo.

One of Us
Picture of Private Contractor
posted Hide Post
I have been offered a test-mule of the SSAR-15 stock for testing with the Beowulf. Expensive to shoot indeed, and of little to no value for any applications except inaccurate and indiscriminate launching of lead into a general vicinity area. I will post results after the tests.

An AK-47 stock has also been developed as well. I guess for recreational fun it might do well, but if a full-auto capability is needed it is probably better to go the NFA route and wait the 6 months (and prepare your account for the purchase).

It may be useful in some scenarios, so I will not discard it until I test it, and can say first-hand whether or not it is a decent setup or not. They are a little high, but are far cheaper than a transferable M-16. They also do not require the paper trail, so some might prefer it.

-Private Contractor-
Retired
Private Security Contractor
Executive Protection
PMC WWPS
Instructor and Collector of Pokey and Sharp Things
USTC

Posts: 31 | Location: Bridgeport, Texas | Registered: 04 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking that it might be fun for plinking if it will work on a 22lr. As for serious work I would not even think of it. If I need surpressing fire I want it to be reliable. I also want it to be presice. None of use are working in a free fire zone. All tho if our goverment keeps it up we might need that surpressing fire and more.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdvjrp93:
I was just thinking that it might be fun for plinking if it will work on a 22lr. As for serious work I would not even think of it. If I need surpressing fire I want it to be reliable. I also want it to be presice. None of use are working in a free fire zone. All tho if our goverment keeps it up we might need that surpressing fire and more.

I believe the rifle it is used on has to have some recoil, enough to activate it. I don't believe a 22LR will do that.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
That was my feeling also but some said they saw one on a SW 15-22. I still haven't priced them yet. Just curious and thought I would ask before I wasted the money.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple locals have these units on AR15's and in talking with them, they are experienced w/ full autos, no way they feel the stock set up is equal to the real deal, but they are impressed by the capabiity at little expense compared to Class 3 units. With a bit of practice can fire 2-3, etc. bursts whenever desired or however many you want. Unit is slide fit on extension tube in order to slide back and forth freely and has small tab on left side(right hand shooter)of trigger and that is where you trigger finger is to rest, not actually on the trigger itself. Combining the recoil and forward pressure on forearm, you get the "bump fire" action. The fact that there are no springs on the stock is supposedly the main reason the unit has been given approval of ABTF folks. Copy of the letter is available to users. It is suggested that the A2 bird cage FH be replaced with a brake to help with muzzle climbing in rapid fire. Suggested not to equip 15 which is used for match/precision shooting purposes for would definitely "eat" a barrel in short order if you can't get your finger off the tab. One of the comments made is that it is felt by users that the rate of fire increases as the firing continues? Apparently this occurs as the user and gun during firing become more "in synch" and estimated rate of fire is some 900rnds/minute(better fire up the Dillon 1050!!) There is a button/tab on the bottom of the stock system that serves as selector if you will,and turned, it locks the stock in position and works as original or semi auto. Simply turn the tab and back to "bump fire" mode. The users are wondering just how long it will be before the units are banned/restricted for when the rifle is equipped with the stock, it definitely works and works well for what it is. Negotiated price out the door something over 300.00 and now offer same units for AK's and 22rimfire clones of the 15. The 22 unit requires user to use different tension on forearm due to less recoil? Kit is available for std. A2 stock but at additonal cost. I bought one and going to install on M4 clone w/ chrome lined barrel and shoot the hell out of it this weekend. Takes about 5 minutes to install going to spend the better part of the day at the reloading bench. It's my birthday, 70, and old retired guys can do whatever they want with thier money and time(what there is left.)

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD that was an excellent report!!

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you SmokinJ for the kind remark, you are a gentleman and a scholar! Friend and I have at this time some 25/30rnd mags loaded and most likely he is still running the Dillon 1050 even at this late hour. Between us we have probably some 40lbs.of WC846 seveal thousand IMI62gr bullets and at approx. 300rnds per pound, should last us a while. The "gadget" is attached to new Sig Sauer Mod. 400 M4 carbine and the powder is an OK powder, but leaves a lot of residue/carbon, etc. and will see how well the rifle runs after few hundred rounds.
Only in America!!

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
I've seen videos of it in use in the standing position only.

How does it work in prone, on the ground hugging dirt?

If you must be in the "full frontal assault mode" standing upright to operate it well, I suggest that controlled "semi" fire is mo' bettah!

Making oneself "small" is a key to survival on the battelfield, no?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, returned from firing Sig Sauer AR15, M400 w/ Slide Stock device and can say I was not happy, but EXTREMELY HAPPY!! Prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, on shoulder, off shoulder/hip position, you name it, it just simply works, period. At first it is an unnatural act to push slight forward on the forearm to activate the rifle, but gripping the pistol grip, don't have to white knuckle it, just a normal good grip, and one, two, three, on and on is up to you and how long you keep the slight pressure forward on the forearm. Very controlable w/ or w/o muzzle brake, but w/o brake will tend to push you back a bit in full "bump" mode. Only deterrent to shooting in prone "hugging ground" is the 30 round mags, but simply leaned it over sideways a bit and no problems. Tried it upside down, sideways, etc. and no failures. Rate of fire is quite high once you develop a balance between the forward pressure on the forearm or you can go to 2, 3, etc. bursts very easily. You can "dump" a 30rnd mag in couple seconds. I was able at end of practice to send one at a time or push a bit more and whatever you want. We went through something near 800rnds today and had one mag that was faulty and others ran like they should. Even though the stock appears to be somewhat "toyish" it is a very serious piece of gear. Unit is of some polymer material and seems sturdy enough, but the unit slides over the buffer tube and if that became clogged with dirt, debris, etc. would stop the "bump fire" feature of the rifle, however, very quick to remove and clear. You can go from semi to "bump" fire by simply turning the elongated knob on the bottom of the stock. Twenty rnd mags and your "fun" is over very quickly. Did not want to overheat rifle, and would let it rest some 5 or more minutes after running couple 30rnd mags through it.
We had a 40 gallon plastic barrel set up some 75yds away and was not difficult to deliver most if not all in the drum on rapid fire. Double and tripple taps easily controlled and hit about any reasonalbe target you wanted to shoot. Only negative aspect of the system is the increased cost to feed the beast. See no practical reason to have, and can say the same for real full auto, but it is a very unique pice of gear and one hell of a lot cheaper than a legal M16 plus no administrative/cost issues involved. If you enjoy such activities with your 15 this is the way to go.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
MFD do you think it would work on the MP15-22. I have heard that the hell fire trigger will work on 10-22

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for working on the 22lr versions I have no personal experience, but am told it works fine, but due to such little recoil the amount of "push" you apply to the forearm is a bit more. Users I have talked to say that the unit on 22lr makes a lot more sense(??)than on a 223 or AK variants.
Cost wise there would be no question as to the advantage of the 22 for tins of ammo w/ hundreds of rounds can be had for some 10 bucks.
Friend of mine has S&W 15/22lr and he is going today to purchase unit and it is a safe bet I will hear all about it this evening. Don't know what the largest capacity magazine is out there for the 22, but suggest as large as possible. Be it 22 or 223 or whatever caliber, I can see where one needs to be very careful with the use of the set up for if being fired at public range with others around, they will want to fire it and you never know what level of experience they have and many rounds can be delivered very quickly at wherever the muzzle is pointed. We all know to keep the muzzle pointed in safe direction/down range, etc., but such firepower in the hands of a "clown" is a bad thing. If you do this on your 15/22 clone, you will be making many trips to Wally World.