THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MODERN MILITARY RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Modern Military Rifles    Best "out of the box " .308 sniper rifle ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best "out of the box " .308 sniper rifle ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted
Hi, I am looking for a acuratte .308 rifle, nothing high custom end or so expensive like a Sako TGR, but unleast a .308 sub-moa rifle ? Which the best out the box?

Remington Police?
Tikka Tactical?
Remington XCR?
Weatherby Sub-MOA?
Many thanks for Your help. G1

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the ones you have mentioned I would pick whatever Remington rifle you like the best.

For the money they are the best.

I have never seen a factory heavy barreled remington in 308 that did not shoot pretty good, and some of them have been outstanding.

I have seen several hundred of them shot.

Money no object, either the Accuracy International, or the Blaser R93.

Federal 168gr Match ammo is the most accurate 308 ammo, everything considered, out to 800 yards.

Winchester 168gr Ballistic Tip has preven to be very good as well.

Past 800 yards the Federal 175gr Match is the way to go.

IMHO of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a good scoe I will make 2 recommendations.

If you want a lightweight compact rig take a look at the Leupold Mark 4 2.5 to 8x M3 with the Ballistic Cam, or the Leupold Mark 4 3.5 to 10 M3 with the Ballistic Cam. Either with Illuminated reticle of course.

I am a BIG fan of a scope with a BC.

You range the target, say 700 yards, and turn the scope to "7". No counting clicks.

If the distance is 659 yards you just dial to "6.5".

Much faster in actual field use.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FN SPR.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with NE 450. I have a Remington 700 heavy Barrel in 308. It is extremely accurate.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,

Remington 700s have a tremendous and well deserved reputation as sniper rifles. But the real Remington 700 sniper rifles are not just "out of the box". The M24 is specially machined, assembled, and "accurized" before sold to military and law enforcement units. I have had the opportunity to shoot a few M24s and they are nice rifles. I have owned a few, and shot several, commercial, off the shelf, model 700s and they are not in the same league as the M24. Several civilian companies will offer to blue print/accurize your model 700 or sell you one they already went over but that costs a bit and you said you are not interested in customization and high cost. A few of the commercial models of 700 give very good accuracy out of the box but I think you can do better.

I have known several special operations snipers who were mid-level NCOs and wanted accurate rifles of their own. They couldn't afford custom shop rifles or to have expensive custom work done to less expensive rifles. What many of them did was purchase Savage rifles. Their consensus was that the Savage is the most accurate inexpensive rifle "out of the box". They chose the Savage rifles over commercial Remington, Winchester, and other brands. In fact, a few of the guys liked the Savage rifles so well that they tried to get the command to purchase some. I also remember a couple of the instructors who taught at the SOTIC course that thought a customized Savage would make a better sniper rifle than the M24. This was after extensive testing and trials by the SOTIC committee at Ft. Bragg.

Besides shooter and spotter, the most important parts of your system will be the rifle, the ammo, and the optics. Better to have a quality scope with good internals and low, fixed power then to have a high power, big diameter, variable scope of low quality and poor internals.

Here is an interesting comparison between the Remington and the Savage:

Remington 700 vs. Savage 10FP

quote:
From the website.

Having shot both professionally, the Savage is by far the more accurate out of the box. There are more aftermarket parts for the Remington but you’ll have to sink a bunch into the Remington to get it beyond where you can take the Savage.

Note: I was never a sniper.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that the Savage shoots as well as their reputation would indicate. I picked up a .308 Win 10FP-K this past Friday but probably won't shoot it until the "can" comes in.

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few savages if you break the barrel in properly I think you will be happy with it.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks Guy for the advices, but Savage rifles are not available in my country these days, same with FN SPR.

Grenadier; I read a lot about the M24 and M40 & I shooted with the Argentine Army elite shooters CZ 750 & M24 Rem rifles and I know that are complete different guns from REM "Police or Tacticals model for civilian market, the main secret, are the barrel (416 SS Krieger with Match chamber, special twis & groves) Bell & Carlson stock, trigger and extensive action job, for that reason I am afraid to be screwed buy a "Tactical look" common varmint hunting rifle.
Maybe I will for a Tikka Tactical and I will instal on it a RBC (Germany) AI AW Style Stock. Thanks for the info, I very apreciatte it.

N E 450 No2:
The Leupold scope model that You suggest me is the same that use the Parachute Elite Sniper units in my state, that BC is geat thing, and really works from 100 to 800 yds !!!, Maybe I will for one with I.R.
Look more friendly than those with Rapid Z reticles or classic mil-dots .
Many Thanks to alls. Kind Regards. G1.

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rapid Z reticule on my Blaser 300WM. I have not tried it (yet)!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the FN SPR

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna be the odd man out, again. I use a Howa M&P heavy barrel in .308. I've had it for years. I changed out the scope from a 6-24x40mmAO to a 4-12x42mmAO. It was a target gun, but I do more hunting than long range target these days. The scope on it does not compare to even my 1939 Zielvier, 1937 Ajack, or Hensoldt ZF24. All are 4x. I'm no Sniper, but the simplicity of these scopes make me a better shooter w/ the rifles they are mounted on. I'd rather have another M41b then a New Rifle and scope that cost 10x more.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Rem 700. I have a couple and I am amazed at the accuracy. I did not break them in, just took them hunting. I am shooting sub MOA with factory ammo on the '06 and shot a .45" group with the 375 H&H just working up different loads.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jerry H
posted Hide Post
Not proven SUB minute (yet) but I just finished a build on an M-48 Yugo action. On the cheap I might add. Most of the proponents of brand names like Abercrombie and Bitch, LL Beat etc have gotten their lick in on me. Most of them gulped air though after the initial load development target were hauled back.

Intermediate action, lugs lapped, bolt face, receiver squared on my 1946 South Bend 9A over severl pints of fine Texas microbrew.

El Cheapo Adams and Bennet F54 barrel, hokey crown left, threads cut and chambered on aforementioned lathe, all dialed in on the bore and squared up (again, plenty of beer)

Barnyard clearance from Midway, Fajen plastic stock that is a drop in for a long action Mauser. With the accompanying cacophony of the folks saying an intermediate won't work in that stock, it got fitted, bedded and barrel well clearanced (hate the word "floated", that is what my kayak does when sharking beyond the breakers on Bolivar)

"Break in" was performed with factory ammo, sans beer. That hurt, but had to be. It posted 1.5 MOA.

After a few Tangoes with H 4895 and Varget, using Sierra Match Kings and some Nosler 168's we got it to print with the O.D. of all shots within the confines of a one inch square. So, that is sub minute.

JTex even paid the rifle a compliment, so THERE.

diggin

My sincerest apologies. I just snapped to the OP that the thread is for "Out of the Box" rifles. Sorry. Felt good to brag among the greats though..... hilbily

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

Posts: 44 | Location: East of Houston | Registered: 09 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The Remington with the Leupold; but the 175 grain Sierra bullets are way superior to the 168's. Only proviso is the 168's under 300 meters. The 5R version is most desirable for your needs.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savages won the LR shooting this year.

Rich

Check out www.SavageArms.com before you spend money

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have "snipers" rifles from different makers.

From Sako TRG, Accuracy International, Browning, Winchester, McMillan, Remington and others.

They all shoot extremely well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy International, if you can afford it, tends to be available in countries where US weapons are difficult to import.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take some ideas from Sniper Central site on the all REM models test, and I bought a .308 REM SPS Varmint, but I will replace the cheap stock (with some beeding issues) and I will change it for a AIWC (chasis) system, and a aftermarket trigger, maybe Timney Tactical or Jewell, "jg" forn Europe are too much spencive, if I cant obtain under .5 Submoa groups, after break in period, I will change the barrel for a new one from krieger and I will make other jobs on lugs, face bolt etc... Thanks for Your Help. G

Saeed; thanks for participating in this topic and Your advices. Congratulation on all Your hunts, the pictures are wonderfull, Thabks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like you might have spent a lot of money just to buy an action.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Because the are not Rem 700 actions or custom like kelby actions ..to purchase alone, only old Mauser K98 Military surplus or buy a used Rem.....Almost same ...K.R. G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, the Rem. 700 platform "out of the box" is a very fine rifle and have used them for number of years ;however, some couple years ago purchased the Tikka T3 Tactical 20" version, cal. 308 and it is an excellent rifle in all respects. Clip fed/5rnd/inline, scope rail installed, threaded for moderator/flash hider, super trigger and accurate as well. .5moa not an issue and can do better with seleted loads. More expensive than the std. 700 Police version, but with all features considered, good value for the price.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MDF.
The Tikka Tactical (U$3000) here... and the REM police was my fist choice when I decide to buy a snipe rifle, but none are in existance in the importer store house for now, just the REM Police by U$2800, Rem SPS Varmint, and those high end spencive Sako TRG and Mannlincher SSGO4 all over U$7000 here. So my number; Rem SPS Varmit U$1300+ AIWC CS stock U$1071 = grand total U$2371, U$500 less than Rem Police and a better stock (I suppost......) and extra money for accesories like bases , rings,scope or spare magazines. Te SPS is on way, I hope he could deliver groups under 1 MOA. K.R. G.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fully understand your choice with such prices on the Tikka T3 Tact. and the Rem 700PSS. I don't think you will have any problems shooting less than 1 moa with good ammo and rifle you have chosen. The "target" will not know if the bullet impact is off some half inch.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sniper shot experiences and put their knowledgements in practice, long shots when is mandatory on some cordillera hunts, competition on heavy and open class rifle, if that day is windy and the guy with 6mm PPC dont shoot Big Grin but mostly have fun triying to do tiny groups at 150 yards and spend some time making the rifle.The differences between kids and adults are the toy's price Big Grin K.R. G1

One of Us
Picture of Nick321
posted Hide Post
just wondering if you are a school trained sniper? cause it's only a sniper rifle if it's in the hands of a sniper. just a pet peeve of mine. sorry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, invited me many times the guys from the airborn parachute sniper elite shooter unit (whom I teached how to make accuracy reloads for their M40 and M24 ) but I never took the course, maybe I will do in the future. For me a "truly".... Sniper rifle" by itself definition is a rifle capable of sub.moa group out of the box and rough, to perform the task in all enviroments and distances. That is what I apreciatte from a "Sniper Rifle" rather than common production hunting rifles.
A broom in the hands of the amazing Carlos Hathcock will still being a broom .....impossible that becomes a Sniper rifle.
A different concept is a "Sniper shooter" from common hunters or shooters. Fonds Regards, G1

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Maybe a .308 is not it! 6.5x55, 7.62x54r, 8x57?
An M41b is hard to beat, and short cash. Still and 800 yard killer. Windage is a slight issue, but can be handled. The 91/30 PU is a great rig. As simple as it gets. W/ 180..182gr heavy ball, especially Yugo 1970's, or Soviet 1980's ammo it is outstanding. I still really love the K98 low turret. I have 3 rounds of 1935 P249 head stamped ammo left. Frowner
Portuguese comes in a close second. Down to 40 rounds there. 1949 Ankara heavy ball is still pretty good, not great past 400 yards. 1000 left.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote