New
Find
Notify
Tools

Century Arms Galil-Golani and C93
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always liked the Galil and Valmet but missed the opportunity to get one back when the prices were decent. I have seen some decently priced Century Arms Golani rifles which are Century's rendtion of the Galil. I have also come across Century's rendition of the HK-33 which they are calling C93. I wanted to solicit input as to which rifle is better and would like to know of any problems encountered in an effort to help me choose between the two.

THanks,
Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I don't know anybody that has either one and I've read mixed results on them. Best advice I can offer is to closely inspect either rifle and run a couple magazines through it first before you buy it. I would not buy either one through the mail.

Century's current .223 H&K clone is supposedly decent but its still a Century. Century is capable of producing some decent stuff but you really gotta eye-ball it hard first.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had one of the Century rebuilds. Mine was excellent. It was reasonably accurate and never once failed to feed or fire. There were 2 things about the rifle I didn't like. 1. was the scope mount. For some reason the scope mount and receiver bracket didn't mate up. It wasn't a minor fitting issue either. The 2 items did not mate. Ihe receiver was an Ohio Rapid fire and I think this was thier F-up. 2. was the weight. I didn't realize this before I bought mine. The Golani is a heavy rifle! A neato gun for getting out of the car and plinking but walk a few miles with it and it really sucks Wink The Israelis didn't like this part about it either.

I put about a 1000 rounds down the barrel and moved on. One thing to keep in mind about the Century is the barrel isn't chrome lined or wasn't when I bought mine.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was one of the lucky folks who bought an IMI 372 ... and love it even though it is NOT light!

You might check here:

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/...ay.php?77-Galil-Talk

for current user feedback.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric

I cannot make any commentsw about the "clones", but I have shot the 223/5.56 Galil, the Valmet and the H&K 93 [and the H&K 33K and 53] quite a bit.

All are good guns, well made and reliable.

My favorite is the H&K.... But as you may have seen from my other posts I just really like the H&K type rifles.

The H&K 223 rifles I have shot have been VERY accurate. They feed Soft Point and HP ammo, no problems. Also they are the easiest to scope, the H&K "claw" type mounts go on and off, and maintain zero 100%.

Their barrels are free floating and zero is not effected when you use the H&K Bipod.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Ditto the comments on the Galil's weight. A nice rifle if you can find a good build (try shopping for an original) but it is a hard one to pack all day. Of course try packing an M1 Garand up and down hills, that's worse.

As for the Century C93, I bought one last year and just got around to shooting it. Shoots fine, is accurate enough, and is light weight, comparably speaking. It is very hard on brass, (I lost about 25% of my cases last time from split necks) but otherwise a "good bang for your buck." Of course the rounds I was shooting had been reloaded more than once, so maybe it was just "their time."

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. My local dealer has the C93's on hand but no Golani's to look over. I've been leaning towards the C93 but still have some time to think about it as I am out of town on business.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a few magazines through a friend's Golani in .223 Rem a few months ago; it was roughly finished and the front handguard heated up quickly. The trigger was fair and the rifle's recoil was light, given the weight and cartridge.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I came across a C93 for $500 and decided it was too good to pass up. I haven't taken it to the range yet though. I have to go to Israel next week and then its family vacation. Probably won't shoot it until next year.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE