New
Find
Notify
Tools

XM2010
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
USA Today had an article on December 9th regarding the new XM2010 sniper rifle. However, they never discussed caliber or anything specific. Any information out there on this new shooting iron?

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The XM2010 Enhanced Sniper Rifle (ESR), formerly known as the M24 Reconfigured Sniper Weapon System, is a sniper rifle developed by PEO Soldier for the U.S. Army.[2] It is derived from the M24 Sniper Weapon System and is intended to replace existing M24s. After winning a competitive bidding process, Remington was awarded the production contract. Up to 3,600 weapons will be procured. The Army expects to begin fielding 250 upgraded weapons to deployed U.S. Army Snipers by the end of December 2010.[3][4] Later project manager for Soldier weapons Colonel Douglas Tamilio said the XM2010 expected fielding will happen in January 2011.[5]

The major configuration change for the XM2010 system is the conversion from 7.62x51mm NATO to more powerful .300 Winchester Magnum ammunition to provide approximately 50% additional effective range. This rechambering to dimensionally larger cartridges is possible since the M24's all have a magnum length bolt action. The US Army hopes that the additional effective range helps their snipers in engagements in mountainous and desert terrain in which the War in Afghanistan is fought.[6] The general penalties for using bigger more powerful magnum rifle ammunition compared to smaller non-magnum standard rifle cartridges to obtain extra effective range are increases in recoil, jump, flash and barrel wear.

The XM2010 is considered a "total conversion upgrade", by which the chambering, barrel, stock, magazines, muzzlebrake, suppressor, and even the optics will be changed. The main reconfiguration changes compared to 7.62x51mm NATO chambered M24 rifles are:[7]

Rechambering to .300 Winchester Magnum.
Rebarreling to a 610 mm (24 in) long, 254 mm (1 in 10 inch) twist rate (5R) hammer-forged free floating barrel.
Fitting a new chassis (stock) assembly, which maximizes the amount of physical adjustments for the sniper to provide a better user customized fit. The chassis has a folding buttstock that shortens the system for easier transport and better concealment during movement and accommodates the mounting of accessories via removable Mil Std 1913 Picatinny Rails.
Fitting a 5-round detachable box magazine.
Fitting a quick-attachable/detachable Advanced Armament Corp. sound suppressor with muzzle brake to reduce recoil and jump and audible and visible signature with an available thermal sleeve that reduces mirage effect on heated suppressors.[8]
Fitting a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm ER/T M5 Front Focal variable power telescopic sight featuring a 34 mm tube diameter, first focal plane Horus Vision grid system range estimation reticle and Bullet Drop Compensation,[9] fielded with the AN/PVS-29 Clip-on Sniper Night Sight.[10]
Applying advanced corrosion resistant coatings throughout the system.
According to Remington Arms each rifle is tested to meet (and typically exceeds) the requirement to fire ≤ 1 MOA (less than a 2-inch shot group at 200 yards) before being released for fielding.

J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JW,

I didn't even think of going to Wikipedia. What's cool is the use of the .300 Win Mag cartridge. I always wondered why the military didn't step up to the magnum class of cartridges. The .308 is OK but it ain't a .300 WIn Mag. Also, what is cool is the apparent change in heart from the army's ordinance people to be so fixated on what worked in the past is good enough. I think younger service members are driving some of the decisions. I could be wrong but the military is slow to change. Thanks again.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strapman,
It has taken a while for this change to happen. I remember reading several years ago that the Army was toying with the idea of the .300 WM and had specified the (then current) M24 be purchased as a long action so it could be converted (in the future) to the larger cartridge.

It seemed a waste at the time. Especially since I had also read the Remington 40X could only be purchased as a short action even in the larger calibers (sold as single shot only) so as to not lose the inherent accuracy advantage of the stiffer short action.

I remember thinking, “I hope the change happens soon”. Otherwise, our men in uniform would be eating the extra weight and length of a long action, only to feed it a cartridge that’s designed for the lighter and stiffer short action.

Good things come to those who wait........And I'm now waiting for Mil. surp. 300 WM ammo from Lake City to become available to feed my Remington 700DM Police model. Smiler

J.W.
Hero of the Hapless
Master of the Obvious

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long before 300 Win Mag ammo is available from Lake City? 2020?

I've done some serious western hunting, shot some benchrest, hunted overseas on PG and frankly always believed if you looked at our western mountains, they aren't much different than Afghanistan. Would you want a .223, or even a .308 for shooting 500-700 yards across a canyon? This is a case of the ordinance departments taking their good old time, while our boys are desperately in need of some hard shooting, hard hitting sniper rifles. Vast country, coupled with high winds and long distances require more high performance than what the military has fielded typically to this date. Frankly, I wonder if they could do better than the .300?

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
They are already contplating the 339 lapua round. It is being looked at in a contract negotiation with remington. It was the only round that could meet the 15" verticle desbursing requirement.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
me thinks my typing and spell check is on the friz. That is 338 lapua and disspursing

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dispersal?

Posts: 6 | Location: Westminster, Colorado | Registered: 19 November 2010Reply With Quote