New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1A Scope Installation and Choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am considering purchasing an M1A but not the SOCOM model. I was interested in what scopes you would recommend for both close and long range shooting. I am not interested in an EOTECH style optic. Also, is there any potential difficulty in mounting a scope on one of these rifles? Do they require any modification?

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Leupold VXII 1-4 on my FN. It provides good flexability in a conventional scope.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have(had) several "versions"- wearing Pistol scopes on the Scout type , Leupold Tactical, NightForce and S&B on others.

Any good quality optic will do.

Depends on What you plan to do with the rifle-

As to mounting--

The "Scout" has a small forward rail.

The "Standard, Loaded, Match, M21 ", models etc-- you are relegated to a Gen3/4 SA mount, or an ARMS, Smith , etc --

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewp...ree&utm_campaign=657

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...33_d_851014021_d_642

unless--

you do one of UtiMAK (or other) long forward types

http://www.milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M8

or

something like this

http://store.troyind.com/SASS_...scha-mcs-s0bt-00.htm

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to mount a conventional scope, take a look at the Leupold Mark IV, either the 1.5 to 5x or the 2.5to8x.

I like the ones with the Ballistic Cam.

The Schmindt & Bender 1.1to4x Short Dot scope is worth a look as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mounting is no problem, you just need to get the mount that will bolt to the side of the receiver. i use a 3-9

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I think I will have some fun with this once I get the rig set up. I also want to give some thought to these scopes that are premeasured for elevation for a specific caliber and the appropriate hash marks for distance shooting. I have never fooled with these but they could be fun.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
strapman

A BC scope works great.

You want to shoot at 400, you set the dial on "4", at 800 set the dial on "8".

Even if the load you use is not exactly the same as your BC is calibrated for, you just test at the ranges you will shoot.

Then you know if, say at 600 yards you need to set your scope at "6" then go up or down a click or two....

These scopes eleminate getting "lost" in the click adjustments.

one of us
posted Hide Post
strapman

I have shot a couple of SOCOM's and I was not imressed with their accuracy. And I shot good ammo [Federal 168 Match, and Winchester 168gr Ballistic Silvertip] in them.

However, I have shot a BUNCH of standard, "Loaded", and Match Grade Springfield's, and I never shot one that did not shoot pretty good.

The 18" guns I have shot also shot plenty good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2, Does BC stand for a company name or type of scope. I assume ballistic cam is a type, not a brand name? Forgive me if I sound uninformed on this because I regularly purchase a more standard scope for hunting (Leupold 2.5 x 8 and 3.5x10) so I'm a little behind the curve on scope knowledge. However, this purchase is for a different application than whacking whitetail or Kudu. I'm open for your recommendations as to brands, etc. THanks, Strapman

one of us
posted Hide Post
strapman

Yes BC stands for Ballistic Cam.

The Leupold Mark 4 scopes come two different ways, with Target Knobs called M1, or with the BC. The BC scopes are called either M2, or M3.

For field use the BC scope is much easier and faster to use.

I use one on my 300 Win Mag hunting rifle and I have a few on 308 hunting rifles.

You can get some European scopes with a BC as well, likd S&B, Hendsolt, Kahles, and Swarovski.

The BC scopes are usually catagorized as military scopes.

For an M1A I would take a look at the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M2 2.5 to 8x32 with the illuminated reticle of your choice.

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I have a MiA that started life as the Scout Squad Model. 18" barrel in a wood stock. It shot very well, but I just had to tinker with it.

I located a very nice USGI synthetic stock and had it painted with DuraCoat, removed that silly Scout Scope Mount, and added a Vortex flash hider.

It still shoots the same or better, under a MOA all the time.

Like NE 450 said, the BC scopes from Leupold work great on this platform. I have the MK4 1.5-5 with the Illuminated SPR Reticle and BC on mine. Just about the perfect combination for a "battle rifle."

If any other scope would be considered for this one, it would be the MK4 2.5-8x32 TMR with BC and illuminated. Problem is that scope is already on my bolt action .308 tactical rifle.

I really like the M2 knobs on the Leupolds. The 1/2 MOA adjustments are just enough for more precise shooting over the MOA adjustments of other M3 knobs and they are not really tall like the 1/4 MOA knobs on M1 models.

Plus, the Custom Shop will make you a BC for the particular round you shoot. All it takes is a call to them with ballistic data for your bullet and loading, a little cash and a couple weeks later it arrives at your door!

One more thing.

I used to own a M1A Socom. Not a bad rifle, but not as accurate as my 18" rifle. Plus, you do not want to shoot that factory installed muzzel brake at night. It is BRIGHT with the flash! Lit up my whole back yard when I tried it. Well, not really, but it was very blinding.

Good luck.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You asked if there were any difficulties mounting scopes on the M1A and none really as far as mounting is concerned. Suggest you select one of the higher quality mounts, Smith,etc., but you will find that the std. stock configuration does not lend itself to eye alignment due to high mount position of the scope once mtd. Have used several M14's/M1A's w/ optics over the years and a strap on cheek pad raising the head/eye line up is quite helpful in sustained, accurate shooting of the rifle. Springfield Inc., Fulton Armory, etc., usually offer these items at reasonable cost.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the M-21 or Super Match. I don't know if you can order the Super Match drilled for a mount or not.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote