Find
Notify
Tools

Eotech AA question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
We had a shooter bring his new (to him) AA battery Eotech to the range today and of course the batteries were dead. While changing them out we discovered that there were two rubber spacers with a spring thru the center that keeps each battery against the contact. These things just fell out and were nearly lost, is this normal for the AA version? I've had a N version for years and never had a similar problem. Seems kind of rinky dink and like it could turn a good sight into a doorstop in a war zone.

TIA

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My entry guys used the AA EoTech version as well and it seemed that every time we went on an op or to the range half of them were dead.

Do not remember the rubber parts ever falling out.

I use and much prefer the 123 battery EoTech.

123 batteries will hold at least 80% of their power for 10 years.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
My entry guys used the AA EoTech version as well and it seemed that every time we went on an op or to the range half of them were dead.

That's why I tap the SWAT guys on the shoulder half way thru a course of fire and say "your sight's battery is dead, turn if off and use your irons". stir

Issued patrol carbines just have irons but we let the guys with a PODA carbine use any low powered optic they can qualify with as long as they have buis of some sort.

These were in the end of the battery cup and apparently just laying there waiting to get lost.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick

We never had to do that as a "Drill" because the batteries died all the time. Eeker Big Grin

When you get new sights try the ones with the 123 batteries.

At work I used the Leupold CQT.... NOT battery dependant.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I called EOTech today and they said that the gas from the dead batteries melts the glue that holds them in, apparently there is a single dog bone shaped dingus that replaces both of the little round doohickies. They say it won't fall out and your whizbang electronic sight won't lose it's whizz when you change batteries.

And they said they'd put one in the mail for free. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a AA powered EOTech since '04 and used it for a year in Iraq. I always changed out the batteries before a mission and used the old ones in the CD player. I never had the batteries go dead and they always had plenty of power left for the CD player. I still use my EOTech on my own AR15. I have it mounted forward over the hand guards so the dot is co-axial with the iron sights anyways. If the batteries go dead (haven't yet) I can just carry on with the iron sights. The EOTech mounted that way is the fastest and most accurate of any of the sights I used and i used most of them over the years. I actually had less of a problem with my EOTech because the AA batteries are much more readily obtainable than 123s. However, with prior planning neither batteries should give any problems.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a member of a SWAT team from 1972 to 2003 I have never had a AA battery powered unit fail but I was the one who set the team protocol requiring new battery's in any battery power unit no matter 123 or AA just to be sure and all weapon had to have co witnessed sights in place. Just my two cents the AA batterys was cheaper by far and I had less complaints from the bean counters when it came to buying more.

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
One of our SWAT guys at today's session had a AA model and while his batteries did work tu2 I had him pull the battery cup off, lo and behold the rubber dingus came out stuck to one of the batteries. thumbdown

I'll be advising the team commander to contact Eotech for a replacement for all his AA models in the morning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick R

I started using 2 SureFire 6P's when they first came out.
I am still using them

I have never had a 123 battery leak.

I have some SF 123 battery lights that I keep in certain places for emergency standby.

Some of them had the batteries in them for over 5 years.

A while back I put new batteries in all of them and put the old batteries to use in my everyday 123 flashlights.

In the flashlights I use all the time I have also been using 123 batteries from Battery Station with no complaints.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

We use rechargeable AA Lithium Metal Hydride batteries. The newest ones hold 80% of charge when unused for 2 years. Have had good luck with them for all uses.

How about e-mailing me the phone number of EoTech service that supplied the dingus. Steve should have one!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
NE450 No2,
Apparently the normal AA batteries emit a gas when they discharge that is the culprit. I looked inside my N battery Eotech and it has the same setup as the AA model but the plugs are still glued in. I've had batteries die several times so N or Lithium batteries may not emit the same gas as the AA. bewildered

Mike

I called (734) 572-2176 and spoke with Michael Kroll, he immediately knew what I was in need of and offered to send the replacement.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Been using two AA Eotech sights since 2006 with nothing falling off & no "sudden death" battery issues.
I do however remove the batteries when the sights aren't going to be used for a week or more.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote