Find
Notify
Tools

Microtech MSAR vs. Steyr AUG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Does anyone here have experience with the Microtech MSAR? If so, what are your experiences?

Also, does anyone here have experience with the Steyr AUG?

And if both.....what are your comparisons?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No exp with either. Mags are not compatable between the 2.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have read on the 'net that early MSARs had significant function issues. A 'net search ought to turn up the threads.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have quite a bit of experience with 3 different Steyr AUG's. All had the military circle reticle, no center dot, and I had a Special Reciever, that I mounted more powerful scopes on as well.

I have killed 2 deer with the standard 1.5 scope and a bunch of prairie dogs with a 4x and a ballistic cam.
I used one as a work gun and shot 3 gun matches with one.
I used the 30 and the 42 round mags.

I have shot them a lot. From point blank ranges indoors, to 600 yards.
Cannot remember a single malfunction.
They were very accurate, very fast on target.

I think the 1.5x Swarovski scope with the circle reticle is one of the best Combat scopes on the planet.

They are a very good "piece of kit".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have quite a bit of experience with 3 different Steyr AUG's. All had the military circle reticle, no center dot, and I had a Special Reciever, that I mounted more powerful scopes on as well.

I have killed 2 deer with the standard 1.5 scope and a bunch of prairie dogs with a 4x and a ballistic cam.
I used one as a work gun and shot 3 gun matches with one.
I used the 30 and the 42 round mags.

I have shot them a lot. From point blank ranges indoors, to 600 yards.
Cannot remember a single malfunction.
They were very accurate, very fast on target.

I think the 1.5x Swarovski scope with the circle reticle is one of the best Combat scopes on the planet.

Good info!! Thank you!!

It just seems to me like a bullpup would be more practical than going thru all the BS and red tape of getting a tax stamp for a short-barreled AR.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking only of AR's. For a private citizen it is not worth the trouble, for all the paperwork to go below a 16" barrel.

In my former job I will say a 11" Commando barrel was a little handier, for entries, than a 16 incher, but not worth the hassle for a civilian...
For many years I made entries with a 20" M-16, with no problems...
And a 16" is much better for overall use, IMHO...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I agree....a 16" AR is very good for overall use. In case you haven't seen the one I built....here is a link: http://forums.accuratereloadin...2105729/m/3031077661

It is a combination hunting/home defense rifle. I would love to hear your opinion of it....being someone with real-world experience.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Question: are the these bullpup style rifles any harder on your ears than a standard style rifle with the same length barrel?

The reason I ask is I can personally tell a significant difference in the noise level going from a 16" barreled AR-15 to a 20" model. I always thought getting the muzzle 4" further away from my ears made the difference.

I have no experience with either rifle mentioned.

Thanks,
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
Question: are the these bullpup style rifles any harder on your ears than a standard style rifle with the same length barrel?

The reason I ask is I can personally tell a significant difference in the noise level going from a 16" barreled AR-15 to a 20" model. I always thought getting the muzzle 4" further away from my ears made the difference.

I have no experience with either rifle mentioned.

Thanks,
Terry

I've wondered the same thing Terry....I don't have experience with bullpups either, but I'm betting they are MUCH louder to the shooter.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Wade,

I own a MSAR. I can tell you it's a fantastic weapon. Nothing compares to it's compact handling. Fit and finish is excellent and I never had a failure of any kind. The only downside is the trigger pull is heavy which is a design flaw of all bullpups. I have a few other military style rifles but I will never part with that MSAR.

Here is a fuzzy pic of it next to a Sig 556.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the AUG a bit back when they were frist imported. They worked I just perfer regular style rifles to the bull pup design.

I wished they were maded to take standard M16 AR mags. Would make mag resuply a lot cheaper and easier

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
somewhere in the rack i have a very very early AUG (like it was one of the 1st and only cost $441) anyway i never warmed up to the circle reticule and about a year after buying it i sent it back and they put a fine crosshair in the middle of the circle for a reticule. I even have the original insides if anybody really needs one) the AUG was about a 1-1.5" rifle. probably better with a high power scope. noise level from the bullpup is about the same, but i'm always wearing ear muffs. functioning has been 100% perfect. very handy little short rifle. the firing mechanism is right out of a m1 garand. the take down feature is flawless. in fact the only problem with the thing is that you need at least a coffee can full of ammo to have fun.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot an original a very little bit, and brought a early microtech.

It has been 100% in function, and accurate enough for 2-300 yard shots as it came. I have not tried anything with high power glass or doing anything with the action, and the trigger is a bit heavy and creepy.

Having said that, I still prefer the AR for any serious work, whether varmints, 3 gun or (I suppose, although a shotgun is my preference) self defense. I don't think the couple inches really buy you that much as far as handling, but that is an individual choice, your results might vary.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They've got a 15" length of pull, which is about four inches longer than it should be and I'm 6 feet tall.

As to SBRs, the paperwork is not oppressive and if you're like me and want to use a silencer it is the best way to go.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with NE 450 No2.

The circle and dot can be used out to 400 yards and more very quickly.

I dont know the origin of the MSAR, but the Australians are in the process of updating their SA88A2 (AUG) to improve already decent MRBF, compatability with more NATO ammo natures, and more optic choices.

The AUG is also one of the few AR's that are actually useful full auto.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote