New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Carbine Commercial Differences
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve got a military M1 Carbine made by Inland. My son has been interested in getting a carbine also, but can’t come up with the cash for a nice military version. He has looked at several commercial versions and asked me about them. Never had one and don’t know much about them. If you had to buy a commercial carbine, which manufacturer would you consider?

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the one manufactured by Inland Manufacturing. the Auto Ordnance version, just seems a bit "off" to me, but can't really pinpoint what it is about it. Stay away from the Universal manufactured ones. They were a "modernized" version and not known for their quality or reliability. Parts are pretty much unobtainable. One thing to consider, for the cost of one of the Inland or Auto Ordnance versions, you could probably pick up a good shooter grade original.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a few commercial Carbines locally. Most want almost as much for them as a GI version. I’d rather add the extra couple hundred $$ or so and get the real thing. Found a Blue Sky Inland mix master in decent condition for $945.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 944 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, for the ones we let get away. About 35 years ago I bought an original (don't remember the mfg.) from another guy in town who did'nt think folks should own guns, so wanted to sell this war2 classic, because he had kids, you know. I asked him what he wanted + he said $50.00. So I said O.K. I did ask him what he was going to spend the $50.00 on he said, a 22 rifle to shoot the possums eating out of the dog food bowl. I didn't say a word.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote