New
Find
Notify
Tools

dies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all, I picked up an AR-15 a while back and am going to get some reloading dies. Do I need a special sizing die? Are custom dies worth the money? Thanks for any input. BS

Posts: 65 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You want the RCBS small base, full-length dies. The small base crunches the head down by about .002 inches, which ensures the round will chamber in semi-automatics. I use 'em and have never had a chambering problem. Part number for the sizing die is 11131. You can buy it alone, but it's best to buy the two-die set. Just the small base sizer will cost almost as much as the set with that die and seater. I use Hornady Case Lube; it's pure beeswax. I've never had a case get stuck in the die while using it. Takes just a touch.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Dillion 223 carbide die set on a 550 press.

Haven't had any problems yet.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unless you have a special really tight chamber built, just run of the mill dies will work just fine

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless you have a special really tight chamber built, just run of the mill dies will work just fine

Run-of-the-mill Lee dies didn't work for me. 80% would not chamber. I got the RCBS small-base ones and never had another problem...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I only use rcbs small base in pumps or autoloaders also. it is cheap insurance!

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Standard dies work in everything I own except one rifle. It is a .358 BLR and it definitely needs a small base die but they are rare for that cartridge ... at least rarely cheap.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Before choosing dies, check your chamber diameters. Small base dies are cool for tight chambered weapons but the average AR has a fairly loose chamber, especially the Wilde chamber varieties. If you use small base dies in them, may just overwork the brass and substantially reduce the number of reloads. For my AR, I use the Dillon full length sizeing die in my Dillon RL550B without any issues. Also, don't use neck sizing dies for anything but a bolt action, will definitely be too snug a fit for a Semi-auto. Just my 2cents....

Posts: 13 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 12 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spoonbender has it right.
If you reload cases shot in some other rifle you might need S.B. dies but try regular first.

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote